Gunco Forums banner

VZ08 belt fed

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chad_ctdesign 
#1 ·
Here is another recent custom build of mine.

It is built using donor parts from a VZ59 and is chambered in 7.62x54R.

See less See more
#2 ·
KILLER DIY PKM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you decide to make any information on this available to the "Mere Mortals" out here, I would surely like to see it. I recently converted 4 of my 1919s to 762X54R. One of these would fit nicely into the group. However since I didn't even know there was a VZ59, wouldn't have a clue where to start, might well be more of a hill than I am climber!! But I sure do LIKE IT anyway!!!

Thanks,
Emory Jones

#4 ·
The Vz.59 is also known as the UK-59. It's a Czech-made belt-fed and is sort of similiar to a belt-fed Bren. Centerfire had them for sale a while back, but I'm not sure if they still have any or not (I don't think so) but I believe there is at least one company still selling them without the back of the receiver and without the barrel.

I will say, that's the first custom build I've seen that based off of the UK-59 kits, though. I know Pirate is working on a semi conversion for the original UK-59, but this version is a new one to me, too.

#5 ·
Thanks Emory,

I have no secrets. The Czech VZ59/UK59 parts kits were sold by Centerfire systems a few years back. It is a very solid reliable design and has push through links. If you get your hands on a kit you could easily accomplish this build. I have seen some kits on gunbroker but like everything the price has gone up. I wish I would have bought some DSHK parts from them back then. I will take lots of pics when I tear it down for refinishing.

Pookie, I dont have any but I will get some and post them. If I remember correctly it started out as 1.5" round of 4140.

#6 ·
Ah So, UK-59!!

Thank you Gentlemen,

The UK-59 I have seen on Gunbroker as a kit in the past. Just couldn't put the VZ designation with it. That is one neat piece, would be worth a premium to have one. I will keep my eyes open for a kit. And Dbltap, if you ever do decide that you want to climb the Dshk hill, I do have a Russian Kit that I bought in the early 90s as a pattern source to make Semi receivers for the fellow that was bringing them in from Israel. That never went anywhere, the kits dried up on him. So I decided to use it as a pattern to build a Hybrid 50BMG semi, top fed from 13.2 MM Hotchkiss magazines. A Bren on Steroids as it were. I still need to copy the gas system parts and heat treat the receiver, but once that's done, the old Dshk will go back into "Deep Storage" on the pallet rack, I'll never build it. Normally I have a rule that I NEVER SELL anything, I ONLY BUY it and stack it up!! I figure the look on my wife's face when I'm dead and she goes thru all of it will be "Priceless"!!! I paid a little more for it than the Polish kits that came in a few years back, but by the standard of today's INSANE prices, I'm in it WAAAY Lite. At any rate, it'll will be in the cooler waiting!

Thanks,
Emory Jones

#8 ·
Joker,

Thank You sir, but I've already promised it to Dbltap, if he wants it. After surfing about looking for UK-59 stuff. I found no kits but if what they are asking for belts cans and barrels is any indication, SHEEEESH!! If I did find a kit, might have to get one of those "Sub Prime" mortgage loans to pay for it!! :)

Thanks,
Emory Jones

#9 ·
No problem, Emory. You had just mentioned that you got into your kit at a good deal, and I got into mine in one as well, so I thought it might be a way for you to get a UK-59 kit and for me to get one of the Russian DSHK kits without either of us having to lay out a chunk of cash out of pocket. Probably just as well, though- as many different projects as I'm trying to do at once (and on a pretty limited budget), it'll be a LOT easier to stock up on 7.62x54R than on .50 cal ammo. Still, those DSHKs ARE one really neat weapon. Almost seems a shame not to build it (while it's still legal to do so). :eek:bsessed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.