Gunco Forums banner

M1928A1 Thompson semi-auto finished

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  resting 
#1 ·
I dont have any photos yet but will soon, could not wait to tell you folks about it,very exited about it. Test fired today,perfect. About a year in the making, w/ Philidelphia Ordnance receiver, AR15 trigger group. Atta boy to Dutigaf for the how-to on Beltfedshooters site. This is one of those special firearms that I thought I would never own, but now I do. Thank our founding fathers for the 2nd amendment,SWEET!!! See ya!:salute::headbang::woot:

#27 ·
Dutigaf,
A question, where did you place the pins that you welded in before you started to reweld your receiver pieces. I've looked carefully at the picture and it appears that they went at the front of the receiver where they would impede the closing of an unmodified bolt. Could you give me an approximate measurement from a known point like perhaps the face of the rear of the magazine opening? Thanks in advance.

#28 ·
yes they have to keep the factory bolt from going into battery.... batf rule.....

first you decide what size you want to use, then just measure back half the diameter of your pin from the inside edge of the front of the receiver and center punch and drill. the placement up and down is totally up to you and you just make your bolt to match.

its really that flexible in this design.

the lower is where you have to be dead on and all the stuff is posted in the build thread.

every single one of these ive done has been a bit different on measurements just from the factory dimensions alone so you have to lay it out and check it before you start drilling or you will waste a bunch of good parts.

#31 ·
no problem! the more of these are built the happier i am.... the key on the lower is to not too low or too far forward on your hammer hole.... you'll see as you go what that is all about.

sdk

#33 ·
actually use a template so that i dont have to measure the holes all the time... but you still need to check and work from that front hole!

there is a good bit of trimming to do on that area and you can tget too far into the spring in the front either...

just some careful planning is all it takes.

#34 ·
Thanks for the come back. I assume one could use the holes in an ar15 receiver to make a template to work from to maintain the proper relation of the pins and parts. I'm on the road and working from memory and your pictures on interior layout of the frame. The spring you refer to is the mag catch spring, correct?

#35 ·
yes its the mag catch spring in that front "inner housing".... there is actually a template here on the site that you can print off for your ARfcg holes.. its been a while but i did see it here.

it actually came from an old SGN article and someone scanned it in and PDF'd it.

i took that and cut out a little plate and drilled it to exactly the right spots and trimmed it for use on these tommy's and then thats how i spot them and work them around to take any guess work out of the location... but as we mentioned eaerlier ive done quite a few of the tommy's now.

a guy only doing one just needs to locate that hammer hole, make sure it clears all and then spot the rear one as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.