wow ive got no clue how i missed this build.
very very impressive and would love to have a set up in this as most of the people just go with blowback.
while id watch the trunnion for cracks as you said, with the reduced force your putting on there it would "seem" to be fine.
you offering any of this work as a conversion service..
or maybe some contact infor for the Litchendberg magwell deal?
I am strickly a hobbyist. No paying customer would be happy with my poor welding skills and slow pace of work. I think I bought that magwell back in August of 2008!
Lichtenburg Research is currently sold out of the mag wells according to thier web site. '+windowtitle+'
When they get enough interest they may do another run. I bought mine from what I think was thier second run. The mag well was a good starting point although I went on to cut it up in many ways. I even cracked a front spot weld at some point and had to zap it with the spot welder. ( I swear it was only a tap........with a 5lb hammer.)
Contact Lichtenberg and see what they say.
that magwell could be very handy in a lot of different builds so thanks for the link on that!
keep the info coming on your build. its very nice.
An update on the new receiver. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to make a new receiver and correct several minor errors. Its a good chance to document building points. The first photo is the original receiver. Note the mag opening was larger than the seond photo of the new receiver. I cut the rear "flaps" of the mag well so that the receiver would cover more of the rear of the mag well.
The flat was made from 0.040" 4130 sheet steel. The mag well was only cut out on the bottom of the receiver before bending. The rest of the mag well profile was transferred from the first receiver using dykem blue after bending.
The front trunnion was fitted carefully to the front of the receiver. The first time I did this the barrel/trunnion had the barrel pointing slightly to the right. Live and learn!
The rails needed to be fitted next. I used AK builder rails. The ejector was hardened and the lower mag support rails were ground off. The photo shows original (top) and modified (below). (Not a perfect photo. Look for the shiney edge where I removed the mag suport rail) Grinding off the lower mag support is needed for mag well clearance.
Next the ejector needs to be moved forward for the shorter 7.62x25 cartridge. I cut the front off the left rail so that the ejector "point" was 0.275" from the front edge of the rail. The scrap piece of the rail is to be spot welded at the rear of the left rail to support the head of the bolt when it is inserted in the receiver. The last photo shows the old receiver with the two piece left rail spot welded into place.
I need to weld in the rails and do the final fitting of the mag well next. I'll keep this thread posted as I go along.
I'm most impressed with your approach to a gas-op conversion.
You are on the cutting edge, and it doesn't get much better than this.
Got my undivided attention.
im trying to follow and learn the ejector and bolt mods from both of you guys as this is the part that im really interested in getting down...
Hi Dutigaf! This has been a fun project. Glad to help out if you are working on one yourself.
I moved the ejector tip forward so that the casing is ejected before the next round rises from the magazine. I actually eye balled the ejector placement by looking at ejecting a loaded round soon after it is extracted from the chamber. I wanted a loaded round to eject correctly if I cycled the action by hand.
Cutting the AK ejector and using both pieces is just to avoid making my own custom ejector. That would be a project for me all by itself since I don't own a bending press to bend such a heavy gauge of steel.
Jump on in! The waters fine!
I am definately going to jump in .... soon I hope. This looks to be one of the best solutions I have seen "bolt wise + Gas operated". I was thinking blowback but so many of the solutons out there required major grinding of the carrier and welding of the bolt both things I am not interested in doing.
thanks for the great pictures and info!
Your great build reminds me of the NVA K-50M. That was the N.Vietnamese AK-ised Chinese Type 50 smg (Soviet PPSh-41). The AK pistol grip and front sight made it distinctive.