Gunco Forums banner

New machined Adapter for .223

69K views 348 replies 65 participants last post by  Warwickben 
#1 ·
Here's what the machined adapter looks like. It fits most stamped AK platforms.

See less See more
#9 ·
I tried to PM you about buying an adapter, but I am new and can not send pm's. Have you used the adapter with a SAR-3 & WASR-3? I have one of each, but only have 10 Weiger magazines. What is the turn around time to have one built? Will you except USPS money orders? Feel free to PM or email me.

r57

#19 ·
No machining has to be done to the trunnion with these?
I'm sure a little needs to be done, he mentions it either in this thread or the one linked to below (also in this section of the forum)

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f279/my-version-adapting-223-use-ar-mags-44020/
Over on the Saiga forum, they've found enough differing experiences, that I will say "Your mileage will vary."

The rifles - although produced on the same assembly line to the same specs - all vary in subtle ways.

Some of those guys over there just had to lock the adapter in place and were good to go.

#27 ·
I have built one for FAL metric. I just haven't shot it enough for it to prove itself to me yet. I've been having trouble with my .308. The Sear won't catch the hammer, making it jam sometimes. Until I'm sure the mag has nothing to do with this(It does the same way with the surefires), I won't even think about selling one. I'm gonna try a Texas AK trigger group as the tapco hasn't been up to par!. Every jam so far has been proven to be the sear's fault. but until I'm sure, I won't post plans for the do it yourselfers. The FAL adapters are too difficult to make for me to produce them. I have a lot of hours in it so somebody other than me might as well get the benefit also. Thus, I will publish the plans after I'm sure of it. Using a Mil spec mag though would be just like the .223. I originally designed this adapter to work on both rifles, so this should go smoothly.

#29 ·
Coils, has one of the .223. Maybe he'll let us know what he thinks of it when he gets it fitted.
Yes I'll give my $.02 later with pic(s), but just a quick comment of looks, it looks a lot better then in the pics and seems very well made. Hope that's good enough of a teaser? :D

#31 ·
Sorry for the delay, had camera problems.

My $.02; It's a nice adapter and looks as nice or better then the pics that Renagadebuck has up. The mag release button does sit out to the side a little more then I thought but it functions, I see no real problems with it unless you abuse your firearms.
Now the only down side, if you are one of those people that have trouble turning a screw, this will be a hard project for you. If you understand how to work on stuff then it's just doing some grinding/cutting of the lower part of the trunnion just inside the mag well, the mag opening on the rifle doesn't need modded at all.
It does work and works very well, I put a few mags through the rifle last weekend and had no issues with it.
Now I did see a post somewhere on another forum where someone modded the front of the mag but cutting a little off the front corners, this would require less work on the rifle but I don't know how well the mag would hold up over time. But then it might not matter since the AR mags are really cheap right now?

This is a pic with a 20 rnd mag in, it all I had near me at the time.
I'll get better pics later

Attachments

#32 ·
Thanks, Coils. I thought the limited modding was extremely easy and straight forward. Of course you are correct, if you are not mechanically inclined at all, almost any project is too much for you to handle on your own and should be taken to someone that can do it. What, in your opinion, would be a fair price for a gunsmith to charge for this service? I'm just curious as I've done some for folks that live close for nothing as it only takes me a few minutes, but I don't make my living working on guns. If I work on a car and it only takes 15 minutes, I don't usually charge anything either. People sometimes give me a $5, but I don't ask for it and try not to take it. Then again, 30 minutes or more, I charge an hour so it all works out.

#37 ·
Thank you, but I was not critisizing,
I didn't take it that you were, but someone might and I wanted to make sure we were both understood. Sorry for any confusion

I have no idea what a smith would charge, I guess it would also depend on their experience with the AK style rifle? If they're a decent business person, or greedy?

"If my dog had a thumb" LOL :D

#42 ·
I have tried it on one Chinese .223 and it fit perfectly without any mods at all. If an AR mag will fit in your rifle now and fit flush against the magrail, it will work for you the same way. AK's are fairly standard. Not exact, by any means, but close. Oh, BTW the receiver has to be stamped not milled, to fit without modding.

#43 ·
[please send me a pm.. still rookie status. thanks!!

quote=renegadebuck;530063]Yes, I sell them. It's my design I've used for 2 years. I've never had a FTF out of mine. I have had a few out of the machined ones, but all that is fixed before shipping. It fits almost all stamped receivers and with minor changes will fit milled.[/quote]

#46 ·
I can't say a word. I told Coils I'd send him a spring right out, I put it in a envelope, stamped, ready to go, and it fell between the seats. I just found it this morning! The perils of living 1/2 a mile from your own mailbox! Sorry Coils, GF has the car at work so I'll mail it tomorrow. Try not to shoot me on sight.

#50 ·
Thanks. I responded to your PM on the other sight with a couple more questions for clarification. Mainly about the possibility of having to grind the trunnion. Not too familiar with that. Also on what the procedure is for ordering an adapter.

I don't want to hi-jack anyone's thread. We could chat it here; or in the other PM; or we can email; or I can call you; whatever is convenient. thanks... mike....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.