Gunco Forums banner

I am committing my Saiga to slugs only

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  hcpookie 
#1 ·
Thats right. I'm just gonna shoot slugs in it from now on.

With all the FTE and FTF issues associated with using buck or bird shot, I'm just gonna use it for slugs from now on. Its never had any problems from day one when using slugs. Besides at the range, its no fun shooting a bunch of bird shot when you're blasting the entire target top to bottom, left to right with shot pellets. What aim? What accuracy? What skill? I might as well just fire it for the sake of making noise on the 4th of July or on New Years Eve.

However, when loaded with slugs, now that is a weapon that can do some damage. And with all the rails and the optics I load up on my S12, it seems worthless for it to be used on simple bird shot or even buck shot.

Now as for the purpose of bird or buck shot, I have a gun that is perfect for that, its my Mossberg 500 for home defense. No FTE or FTF issues since it is a pump. Shoot first and ask questions later. There would be no need to aim when shooting at my intended target down the hallway. I definitely will hit something.

#2 ·
I love shooting slugs out of my S12

And are you changing your gas settings with the bird shot?
It should be on setting 2
I also have the gunfixer gas plug with 4 settings, that give me more adjustment...

I have the best luck with federal bulk pack stuff in my S12, some of these also came with not enough gas ports, or some just blocked.

#4 ·
I love my Saiga-12, there's nothing it won't do. There are after market parts that will fix all the issues you mentioned, relatively inexpensively.

A gunfixers gun plug will give you a total of four gas settings, and you can adjust it by hand.. much easier than the factory plug. I also picked up a Go-Gun twister puck... I needed a U.S. part anyway. Don't know if it helps, but it does keep it clean. I also put an AK-builder choke adapter on it, so now you can use any Winchester thread choke. I had mine out hunting Grouse and shooting skeet.... zero malfunctions, and I couldn't miss. It's my all around bird, Turkey, deer/slug, zombie gun.

#5 ·
Thats right. I'm just gonna shoot slugs in it from now on.

With all the FTE and FTF issues associated with using buck or bird shot, I'm just gonna use it for slugs from now on. Its never had any problems from day one when using slugs. Besides at the range, its no fun shooting a bunch of bird shot when you're blasting the entire target top to bottom, left to right with shot pellets. What aim? What accuracy? What skill? I might as well just fire it for the sake of making noise on the 4th of July or on New Years Eve.

However, when loaded with slugs, now that is a weapon that can do some damage. And with all the rails and the optics I load up on my S12, it seems worthless for it to be used on simple bird shot or even buck shot.

Now as for the purpose of bird or buck shot, I have a gun that is perfect for that, its my Mossberg 500 for home defense. No FTE or FTF issues since it is a pump. Shoot first and ask questions later. There would be no need to aim when shooting at my intended target down the hallway. I definitely will hit something.
there is something wrong with the gas system if it is not cycling buckshot on setting "1". setting "2" is for low power birdshot. unscrew the gas knob and see how many gas ports are drilled in the barrel. any less than 3 is a problem.
if they are obstructed or not drilled through completely it is also a problem.
you may be able to get it fixed under warranty at no charge to you.

#13 ·
I have owned my Saiga 12 for almost a year now, Had a few hick ups learning how to use the gas setting for certain shot loads, While field striping my 12 after reading your post I noticed that I only have one gas port hole... Should there be more ports stock or only after a mod? My 12 cycles ammo just fine and I do have a low brass reliability recoil spring, Will that fix the single gas port issue?

#8 ·
#11 ·
Open the gas ports to 3/32 each ( 3 port guns ) and polish a few trigger and bolt parts and it will feed whatever you want it to. Mine runs the cheapest crap ammo I can buy at walmart and chucks the shells 10 feet away.

Good News. There is an automatic gas adjuster that just got on the market. I plunked down my $45 today.

http://www.tac47industries.com/content-product_info/product_id-2315/tac_47_a_k_a_auto_plug.html
I agree, it's all about the port size and number of them you have. I have a 3 port gun and all the holes seemed to be slightly different sizes. Removing the barrel and opening up the ports solved that problem. If your gun isn't accurate buy a choke. I apologize for the cell phone video this is me mowing the lawn with Federal Bulk.
[video=youtube;wX9TcxfGTU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9TcxfGTU8]YouTube - MD 20 mag dumps[/video]

#9 ·
You gonna give an impression once you test the automatic gas adjuster Chip??

#15 ·
First off make sure about the number of gas ports, the 19" should have 3 and the longer 20 something" should have 2.
Remove the gas plug and feel around in there with something small like an allen wrench or paper clip.
There's a place that does warranty work, I'll look for the info.
Here's the place to contact Cadiz Gun Works

#16 ·
When Red Jacket Will came out to Arizona last year I asked him what would be the best home defense weapon for me, specificly. I'm 67, open heart survivor and my neighbor's houses are 50 ft or so on both sides of me. I had a pump 12ga but with the thinners I take my shoulder would turn black and blue every time I shot it. Also my companion wouldn't use it as she's 5 foot nothing. He came up with a KalashniKoch. Looks like a HK but functions like an AK. .410, 8" barrel, gas puck is old style non adjustable. I played with a lot of different ammo before I got it to work perfect for home defense. It shoots estate 7.5 birdshot real well in the factory mag and the surefire. It likes Sellier and Bellot 00 Buck in the factory mag and the 10 rd surefire. S&B 3" is too long for the 15rd mag and jams. I tried the Federal Premium, personal defense #4 buck and it will only load in the factory 4rd mag. Too long for the surefire mags. It's a lousy personal defense load also. It's nothing but copper BBs packed in what looks like salt. This MP5 look alike won't cycle any steel cased 410 ammo at all. My conclusion is that the russian powder is not fast enough to properly build up pressure in such a short barrel.

The ammo that worked best for this weapon is the Winchester Super X Hi Brass 000 Buck. One look at the quality of the manufacture tells you why it cost 1.20 a round. The quality is there. It loads and cycles perfectly in the factory 4 rd. the surefire 10 rd and the surefire 15 rd. mag. Never a hickup. with a 15 rd mag you got 75, .37 lead balls out the barrel in less than 7 sec. at 1200 fps and 700 foot lbs. energy. My partner comes to the range now just to shoot it and prefers it to any pistol for HD. I get a 5" spread at 12 yds with the full choke on 000 buck. Iknow lot's of people poo-poo the 410 but for me it's the perfect gun with the perfect usage.

Attachments

#17 ·
That looks like a winner! .410 buckshot is more than enough for a home defense situation. I remember a discussion a while back where we discussed a Saiga .410 as one of the perfect all-around home defense solutions. Woman-friendly recoil and the aforementioned buckshot solutions and you can't go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.