Gunco Forums banner

.35 Remington

5K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
Saiga made some rifles in .35 Remington, and there's a .pdf of a book from D&S from 2000 that describes building one from a flat, opening the bolt face to .460" and sectioning and widening a stock x39 magazine.

The .35 came out in 1906 and is a low-pressure cartridge at 33,500 CUP. It can push a 200 grain, .358" bullet out to around 2000 fps, which gives it quite a bit more punch than the 7.62x39 despite the lower pressure.

A 7.62x39 cartridge is about 2.2" long, the .35 is 2.53", and a .308 is 2.80". You could use a .308 mag with a spacer... or if you handload, Hornady makes some spitzer bullets that might make up most of the difference. The old P-17 Enfield had about the same amount of cartridge slop in the magzine (It was originally designed for the very long .280 Ross), though the idea of cartridges slamming back and forth with recoil makes me wince.

Reamerrentals.com has .35 Remington reamers for $26, with another $5 for the headspace gauge.

Inexpensive true .358" barrels seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment. Googling around shows some Marlin 336s in .35 Remington were .359 or .360"

Numrich has .357 carbine barrels for $19.95, depending on how you feel about pushing a .358" bullet through a .357" barrel. Izhmash and Tula didn't worry much about that sort of thing...

See less See more
#35 ·
I've been looking for a full-length Super Vepr stock for over a year. Since the first thing most people want to do is "yank that fugly wood off" and "put it back like it's supposed to be" (and there was at least one company specializing in it!) you'd expect those stocks would grow on trees, as it were...

Best as I can figure, the majority of Super Veprs had two piece wood stocks, similar to Saiga stocks. At least, I've seen lots of people calling their two-piece rifles "Super Veprs". Either way, the one piece stocks are much rarer than Hadar stocks. I managed to snag two of those, from people who were converting an exotic Israeli sporting rifle into (yawn) a fake Galil, like there weren't a zillion of them already...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.