Gunco Forums banner

MaadiMan's play-by-play MG47 build thread

11K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  MaadiMan 
#1 ·
I've been bitten with the belt-fed bug. I've decided to try my hand at building a semi-auto AK-based (loosely) beltfed rifle. My starting point was this:

It's a Romy G kit with an RPD barrel that's been turned down to accept milled Type3 barrel bits. It bores me.
So I got this:

It's an RPD topcover, feedtray, and 100 round belt.

My plan is to join the two in an unholy union, otherwise known as an MG47.
The first step I did was to tackle building a reciever. I built it out of .050" thick 4130 sheet. Here I'm bending it on my super-cheap $35 Harbor Freight brake:

Then I welded up the seam. The seam is on the top surface, so most of it will be cut away and covered by the topcover. I left the piece intentionally long so that I can rivet the trunnion back about 1/3 the length from the front, and have a built in handguard. Kind of a 1 piece receiver/handguard/barrel-shroud like an MG43. Only shorter.

And here it is mocked up with my belt full of empty brass and the topcover/feedtray to give y'all an idea of where I plan on mounting it on the receiver.

See less See more
#34 ·
Just life. I dont have any technical problems that I cant solve, just schedule and family things haven't been conducive to me spending much time building.

I'm going to bring the receiver in to work tomorrow to trim, then I can get working on it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.