AFAIK, all the factory "thick" sheetmetal receivers were made to the same OD as the thin ones, therefore the trunnions and furniture were narrower to accomodate them. Some of the US made thick receivers were made to the same ID as the thin ones to accomodate normal AKM parts sets instead of just the narrower ones. These are the ones that require the longer pins and bending of the topcovers to fit. When the Russkies went to the AKM they kept parts specs as much the same as they could, which is why they have stepped rails to accomodate the carrier groove for the milled models instead of making a new carrier spec that would only fit the AKM. Less spare parts to inventory and issue.
Looks like I need to call Coldsteel and see what's going on.
update: no response to email, and they're not answering their phone. No problem, I'll just bandsaw it down the middle and weld it back at the correct width. Considering all the other welding that has to be done it's not that big of a thing.
Next time I need a 1.6mm receiver I'll just bend my own blank. <sigh>
[pounds head on desk]
I could've done it from a flat! It would only take one weld!
Take a regular flat, make a V cut on the front back to the end of the magwell, made a crosscut with the Dremel and/or a hacksaw blade, bend the two front flaps up at 90 degrees, then bend the flat. You would need a shorter shoe, from the back to the magwell. The flaps in front would come together under the front trunnion. Weld the flaps together, done! You might want to touch the corners at the back of the magwell with the welder and dress them down, no big deal.
I don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place.
Oh well, I'll save the idea for my "build a stamped slant-cut Valmet clone" concept...
One Hadar stock was almost square at the back, other than the 4 degree (?) cut. The other was shaped to where it needed the rounded-off Valmet/Galil milled shape.
I could have opened up the stock with wood chisels, but Apex had cut-up Galil receivers for $20, plus $9 shipping. On the other hand, that's what AKM rear trunnions were selling for last year... I ordered one.
Whoever torched it up was *much* more enthusiastic than the ATF requires. The front trunnion is basically gone, and they cut the rear off at such a sharp angle that they got into the rounded end. I guess I'll just build the missing area up with weld, but it's still annoying.
The plan so far is to narrow the Romanian front trunnion to fit the .064 receiver, use countersunk rivets, and maybe a Yugo-style weld or two. In back, I'll mill the rear stub square, cut off the stamped receiver, and butt-weld them together. I can't see welding tabs to the rear so I can rivet it together when the receiver and the stub are the same thickness. Shouldn't be any different than a milled receiver reweld.
I machined the spacer blocks to hold the receiver halves together earlier this week. Yesterday I bought some 1x3/16 copper flat bar to back up the weld seam. A little more trimming along the joint area and I'll fire up the MIG welder.
The receiver turned into a bag of snakes, but I'll be damned if I'll throw away a bought-and-pair-for blank before I've wasted a ridiculous amount of time trying to save it...
What you really need here is one of those "Chinese" pattern .062 blanks, not the weirdball Coldsteel blanks. Or a spare Valmet, Galil, or Norinco Hunter milled receiver...
Or any milled receiver, just trim the front to the same angle as the galils use. All it cuts off is a pound or so of non critical steel and the handguard mounting point.
Originally Posted by TRX
Yeah, but in the last couple of years I don't think I've ever seen a milled receiver for sale anywhere, other than new-mades from ORF and wossname. That's beyond the budget at this time.
Yes, I'm doing it the hard way... this is the first receiver, that I butchered. However, it welds really easy, so I'm continuing with it.
1) I milled some scrap CRS to the right width to act as spacers for the sides.
2) The receiver is sprung so there's a gap, but when it's clamped it's perfect. I used a copper bar to back the weld area.
3) Clamped with pressure on the copper bar and sides
4) and all welded up...
5) weld dressed. The grinding wheel dug in a few spots, but I'm sure there are other places that will be uglier...
1) Milling the Galil stub. The sides were similar enough to make a single cut. There's a T-nut and a piece of rubber clamped in there to keep the ears from vibrating. Worked fine, to my mild surprise...
2) marking the angle for the next receiver cut
3) rough cut. I need to smooth it out with the disc sander next.
Looks interesting TRX. Keep the pics coming!!!