Gunco Forums banner

Want to buy my first and last FAL: What to buy? Enterprise, DSA or CAI? Help please?

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
US Navy Petty Officer here wanting to buy a FAL. Very familiar with AK and AR systems but very little knowledge on the FAL platform.
Looking for a rifle that will not let me down. I'm a heavy shooter and this rifle WILL HAVE ROUNDS through it... Please give me your opinions.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Oliveira "Ollie" William
USS Enterprise - CVN-65

#2 ·
DSA.

I have no experience with Entreprise. CAI are cheapest and you get what you pay for in that regard.

#4 ·
Howdy Chief.

DSA is tops. Definitely the choice if you want a heavy profile barrel.

Enterprise is second. I have used their parts extensively.

CAI is what it is. I own two of them and have never had an issue. My buddy got his at the same time and had parts break....Luck of the draw???

I should say that I have futzed with both CAI FALs a bit. So might not be accurate to describe as having no problems.

Like any other purchase, you get what you pay for. DSA is the BEST thing going for FAL rifles.

#7 ·
IMBEL is a licensed producer of the FAL rifle, they have the benefit of the original FN factory blueprints, tooling package, etc. Very good receivers, banned from import to build new rifles on so they are hard to find and pricey. The DSA rifle is built on a DSA receiver, using a parts kit that used to be a used IMBEL produced rifle before it was cut up. Most of the other DSA rifles are made from new old stock STEYR produced parts and new DSA produced parts.

DSA bought the blueprints and tooling and spare parts from Steyr in Austria (another FN licensee) but are not licensees. Most of their early rifles were made from NOS STEYR parts and as their stocks got depleted they gradually started making the parts here. Nowdays most of the parts in them are DSA made.

Entreprise and CAI reverse engineered their receivers, AFAIK they have no factory blueprints or anything to work from. Consequently they have "issues" when building on them. Entreprise is the better of the two, CAI has such a bad rep that resale value is lower. These guns are all made from parts kits put on their receivers with enough USA made parts to be comlpiant.

#9 ·
DSA or Imbel or Enterprise in that order. With an Imbel you need 1 more US made part (need 7 total for 922R compliance). Metric instead of inch (more mags are available). Even if you shoot alot I think a standard barrel is best all around.If you want a carbine 18" is the shortest I would go.
Keep an eye on Fal files or gunbroker. Stay away from the century crap. Unless its an imbel reciever and you can test it out otherwise buyer beware.

#12 ·
Well PO2 "Ollie" for the most part what has been said here is mostly true but an update to the thread may be in order.

True DSA is considered "THE" only legit game in town and "THE" BEST FAL, but they aren't what they used to be for whatever reason.
DSarms has had CS issues and some of their once famous QC has been lacking in some of their recent recvrs, do some research and you'll find the answers to their recent dip in quality and service.
That being said they are far and away "THE BEST" still!

As it relates to Century all I can say is that their QC has gone up on their most recent"crappy recvrs" (emphasis is mine as the newer recvrs are above just decent!), I have 2 that where built using them and had ZERO issues, I used a very well known pro builder and he informed me when I gave him the recvrs that "these are some damn good recvrs!" and that they went together without issue.

As I have no thoughts on selling my Fals I am quite content with my Century recvr built Fals.

Also as a side note 1 of my Century recvr built Fals outshoots my DSA Fal easily, no not easily VERY EASILY!
so take that into consideration also.

Lastly I have no experience with Enterprise but I do have a Coonan and it is very nice indeed but I have not been able to take it out and shoot yet, but it is a beautiful recvr and the rifle is very well put together and looks awesome.

ALL of my Fals are built using Imbel kits except of course the DSA.....ymmv

good luck young "salt"!

#14 ·
DSA, well worth the extra $ and wait, retains value much better, runs great from start, built several and never had any fit or function issues, Imbel is just as good just will not count as 922r part, never built on imbel but have talked to many that have and they agree, you will pay more for an Imbel.
In my opinion DSA is the best way to go, good luck, youll really like your FAL I garuntee, it wont be your last.
Also to the best of my knowledge DSA ans Imbel are the only forged receivers available. Personally Im a little wary of putting the kind of pressure made from .308 on to a cast receiver, I know that many cast receivers have help an functioned fine for many rounds, just my opinion

#15 ·
I'm late to the party, but if, as the OP says - his 1st/only FAL; then shop the boards for a TRUE pre-ban Brazilian IMBEL SAR-48, ARMCORP DGFM Rosario Argentine, or break the bank and get a Joe Poyer Aussie or a true FN.

Folks spend more than that on entertainment systems that depreciate like rocks.

No 922 crap, real-deal guns and real-deal parts. Bazilian SAR and Argentine guns are licensed FNs, only way to get more unique is with a Poyers Oz-gun.

#19 ·
never mind,(deleted post) i would only build one.

PS: i don't know anyone that only owns 1 FAL. Anyone here only own 1 FAL?
ron
Have a lone pre-ban Armscorp Argie imported by Armscorp before the ban.

Have no pressing need to own another FAL, although I wouldn't mind snagging another someday "just because".

So many guns, so little money...

#17 ·
That would be me, sgt. But mine is better than all the others so why get another?(smirk)! But seriuosly, I think if the petty officer could find one with the Imbel rec that would be tops. Thats the extent of my experiance with the FAL,but its been a good experiance!

#20 ·
I would LOVE to have another but they have become rather pricey. I bought the imbel kit years ago from Tapco when they sold kits to the general public. I think I gave $98.00 for it. Another $250-$300 for the imbel rec.Damn Ak builds take up my spare change.Now I'm building another AR. nfafan said it best-Somany guns,so little money...Can I still post here with only one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.