Gunco Forums banner

Yugo M91 Clone Build?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
Here is the Wikipedia link to what info I have on the Yugo Zastava M91 7.62x54R Sniper Rifle:

Zastava M91 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm thinking of trying to build a clone, starting with a PSL kit. So far, here is what I'm thinking:

M76 receiver, either a new unit from Military Gun Supply, or a reweld from one of APEX's torch cut receivers.
7.62x54R chambered blank from Walther?
PSL bolt and carrier.
Modified PSL shoulder stock
PSL top cover.
Either an M76 front site/flash supressor or an M70 front sight and thread the barrel for a Tabuk style flash suppressor from Nodak Spud.
Need an M76 gas block and gas tube and handguards.

Now, should I try and use PSl magazines, and modify the receiver/mag catch for them, or should I use the M76 mags, and modify them for the 7.62x54R??

Is there anything I'm forgetting, or somewhere that I'm headed in the wrong direction??? Thanks in advance for any and all input and advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there chris, I've been thinking for a long time of doing the same thing, I think for the stock to get a closer look to the m91 it might be better to modify an svd stock (I'll probably use a lam airsoft one since I'm cheap lol) for a more authentic rear sight you might want to use an m72 rsb as they are exactly like an m76 for a gas tube you might not be able to find an m76 tube but a psl tube could probably be modified to work well, I could take measurments of my m76 tube if needed.. An m76 gb isn't easy to find if you can't find one and you have a friend with a mill then I could lend you my spare to copy. Same thing with the combined fs/fh the m76 has, hard to find I would use an m70 or an ak47 pattern (depends if you want to have the night sight or not) I would at least perfect the reshaping of the rear of the reciever with the apex pieces if I were you (I have a couple apex cut recievers to play with myself) for a barrel I might try starting with a mosin barrel if they have enough meat but I'm cheap like I said earlier, how much would a walther blank cost? I wouldn't mind going that route too but my wallet would probably cry lol. For the scope and mount I would go with a zrak on-76 from apex and either use the 4x scope or just use the mount with a larger scope but at least you'd have the authentic looking mount. Anyway those are just some if my ideas I had rolling around in my head what are some of your thoughts?

Oh yeah for mags I would do something cool for mine as in neither of your ideas lol I was looking at modifying svd mags to give it a fun flair (maybe have some psl mags for extra mags)

#3 ·
That looks about right... what you might do is get one of the Romy RPK barrels from Copes and have it rechambered for 7.62x54r if you can find someone that is good with a lathe. May be more cost effective to go with the walther barrel in the end but you can compare the prices.

I would use the PSL mags to ensure you have good feeding. If you are doing a reweld you could ensure that it fits correctly and they are much easier to find cheap than the m76 mags. you can use the receiver parts from APEX but I would see if I could find a front stub that came with the M76 barrels they were selling back in the day since it has no cuts forward of the locking lugs.

I would use M76 parts as much as possible and sell of the stuff you don't need. You can get an M76 kit from Centuryarms.biz right now and it has no barrel. The hard part will be getting the PSL stock hook up to the receiver but it shouldn't be impossible.

#5 ·
an m76 bolt carrier would be most authentic but if piecing it together a psl carrier will work fine as they are the same length just look different the m76 is lightened on the outer rear while the psl has holes drilled from the rear so even if you blast and have a psl carrier in the white it will still not look 100% correct but for me it doesn't matter as much if it saves quite a bit of money. Looking at m91 pics it looks like the hg on the 91 so the same length as m76 just with a more "russian" profile. As far as a top cover it would be best to use an m76 cover instead of a psl as the 91 has a smooth cover in pics, you could always lengthen a yugo or ak47 pattern smooth cover. If I think of anything else to help you I'll shout out

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I definitely need to track down some M76 parts. Big problem is finding the time. I really appreciate the guidance, as I'm not as familiar dimensionally speaking as alot of you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.