• Buy it!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Buy it if it has....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You won't find a deal like this!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Pass for a rifle!

Votes: 0 0.0%

M11/9 and noise dampening device price check!

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
I have an acquaintance that has an NFA Cobray M11/9 (I think) with a suppressor (manufacturer unknown) for $2700! I'm looking to pounce on it but I need to work out a deal because he wants to buy a $$$$$$$ rifle from someone I know. I was planning to aggressively search for a lower cost Class III MG come spring '11 and haven't considered the subgun field! Basically I'm doing research and need input because I need to buy it now or pass on it!

#2 ·
Jump on it. The Mac 11s are the "bargains" of the subgun world but usually go in the 3500 range or more. Suppressors don't hold much resale value, so it doesn't add much to the value of the pkg. Lots of accessories for them like slowfire uppers, .22 conversions, HK type sights, folder stocks, etc. Many of the uppers that mimic classic beltfeds use the MAC 11 registered receiver as the "lower" so you can have the functional equivalent of an MG42 or whatever for a few thousand versus the $25K+ an original will cost.

#3 ·
I'll have to get some info from the seller. Given his age and history the sub-gun and suppressor could be the true M series and not the MAC series. Like I said; I don't know much about this firearm but my learning curve must be short!

#5 ·
Depends on the suppressor. If it's a run of the mill old technology suppressor most people would rather put the money towards a newer smaller more effcient design rather than buy something that may need repacking, new baffles, etc. If it's a barely used $500+ modern unit, then it has some value.

Check out Tom Bower's NFA board, lots of info in the archives and the ads will give you an idea of the going rates.

Subguns.com Discussion Boards Index

#8 ·
Check out Tom Bower's NFA board, lots of info in the archives and the ads will give you an idea of the going rates.

Subguns.com Discussion Boards Index
I've seen references to that site and have done a small amount of research there. The format is difficult and slow for me because I only have an hour or so to spend on anything before I have to get my rest for work. Do you have any suggestions for navigating through the site and other sites that show what the M11 "lower" can be used for?

#6 ·
I needed a part for a Cobray I have since sold. Called a company out west somewhere for the part. Man turned out too be a Green Beret in Nam. Se we got too talking.
His words. They used too carry them as a room and bunker cleaner. Back up weapon being small. Stick the barrel in the bunker and let the lead fly.
He and another Green Beret, actually crawled through the sewer system in North VietNam, too try too get too the infamous Hanoi Hilton too rescue John McCain.
Their paid off guides got lost and the mission was aborted. Guess they were carrying MACs, or whatever the Military designated them at the time.
Still have his number here somewhere.
Quite an interesting man. More balls than I ever had.
The Kernel would know more. But I think they were developed for the Military about that time??

#7 ·
Mitchell WerBell III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mitch Werbell was the purveyor of the M10 SMGs back then, designed by Gordon Ingram. He was a character and a half, heck he probably planned that mission in the sewers! He ran a company named SIONICS and made those bulky suppressors you used to see on the MACs all the time. Sold quite a few to the 3 letter agencies back then as they were cheap and he had quite a few contacts from his "colorful past" and present. AFAIK, the US Army never officially adopted the M10, but as with most weapons of the era a few wound up in the arms lockers of special forces, SEALS, etc. as well as "test and evaluation samples" that were given to certain units and officers who had pull with procurement. His sons own Brigade Quartermasters.

#9 ·
Bowers site is pretty stuffed with posts, I think it is probably the most common one the NFA guys use. Just have to slog through it all I guess. Uzitalk has a MAC forum, a little easier to search.

MAC-10 Talk - UZI Talk Forums

I saw the beltfed uppers a few years ago at knob creek, however a quick Google perusal indicates the developers had some problems with ATF approval as a non-gun being changed to MG status after selling several, latest post I saw was 2008 so they may no longer be available? I think there is still an MG34 upper for M16 lowers available, so in theory they could be approved eventually if the makers jump through enough hoops. May already be some I just didn't find with 5 minutes search......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.