Gunco Forums banner

Lubing the AR.

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  4thIDvet 
#1 ·
[video=youtube;OXIsKEHo-4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g]YouTube - AR 15 Lubrication[/video]

Sound rite, Wrong????? :confused:

#2 ·
To me that guys a goober.
You don't use wheel bearing grease on a firearm unless it's an emergency type thing and that's all that's handy.
I never put lube on the locking lugs, and I don't think I ever heard of anyone else doing it.
The other areas he mentioned sounds right.

And what's with him mentioning about the bolt and charging handle breaking? Never heard that before

#5 ·
Guy is a friggen Goober.

Hell. Now I am going too call the fat pig up.
"Hay you friggen Goober. Get the hell over my house and clean this grease off you fat ass Goober."
42 years since I touched one of these things. Now I have too clean grease off the damn things cause I listened too Goober.
Must be that fat REMF Sargent Goobers son, who wanted us all too put grease on our ammo. Said it would make the weapons feed better. WTF. Goober.
Dirt, grease. No Goober no. :nono:
Think he lasted a week before someone capped him in the ass.
I got too ask you guys first. I hate Goobers. :deadhorse

#6 ·
well i don't know that wheel bearing grease won't work as i have never tried it.

if you were going to store the rifle for lets say 20 years in a tube underground grease would be a good idea.

all the AR needs for functional purposes is just a little bit of lighter oils / mercron 3 type of ATF works well. clean motor can be used if lightly applied for a substitute of the mil-spec CLPs and so on.

i have run the m-16 bone dry through an auto rifle course with no malfunctions of any kind. i have also seen the m-16 run without the gas rings on the bolt.

so there is some slack with lubricants on the AR series. you don't have to buy mil-spec military lube from some guru.

#8 ·
Surplus LSA is what - $10 a QUART? Mobile One around half that. I'll leave the grease for the guns that called for it - like Garand and M14. They use a "finer" grease than wheel bearing grease and it seemed to work OK. The M60 liked a version of LSA with Teflon and it also seemed to work well in that application. The red synthetic chassis grease would be my choice if I was going to USE grease. VERY slick, water resistant, fine and sticks to stuff very well.

I would be tempted to use a dry lubricant like "Dry Slide" or similar product in dirty conditions - like the sandbox. The stuff is slick but not sticky so it does not mix with dirt and sand creating an abrasive goo.

My MGs use CLP or LSA and seem to run just fine and with acceptable wear. I do tend to overlubricate figuring the excess will be thrown off. My glasses attest to this the first time I fire most any of my guns!!

To answer the OP, I think the guy is goofy. When dino grease gets old or cold it gets VERY stiff.......

#10 ·
Grease is a magnet for unburnt powder in AR rifles, as stated before LSA & CLP are what most Military Unites use. In extreme weather areas no lube other than a silicon wipe down is acceptable or non at all. The only grease I use is Graphite and thats for long term storage.

#12 ·
Yes..

I got the Miltec. Good stuff. Finally took my .45 apart and ran a light coat on the interior rails.
Took me two hours and a You Tube demo on putting them back together. But hell I finally got it.
I like the stuff. Just a very lite coat and that stuff is slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.