Gunco Forums banner

Looking for an upper/barrel

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
I have everything to build an m4 except for a barreled upper.

The BCG is a chromed RRA kit.

What kind of deals are out there for an upper assembly that won't break my wallet?

#4 ·
ds arms has a very nice 16" m4 upper and barrel that is nitrite treated.

the barrel is $159 and the upper is $275

a chrome lined 1-7" twist 4150CV steel m4 upper from DSA is $325. AR15 Lowers & Uppers-D S Arms

gunnys has the a2 surplus upper for $325 might be a deal--if it ain't been worn down to the bone by a bunch of careless boots--

ALPHA SHOOTING SPORTS these guys have barrels and uppers --they sometimes have complete m4 uppers on sale.

JSE and delton also have good prices on uppers and barrels.

the best deal on a m4 upper without a bolt-carrier and charging handle is the DS arms nitride m4 for $275 IMHO that 1-9" nitride barrel should last virtually forever being super hard and be considerably rust-proofed. it is a hell of a piece of kit for the $$

all of these outfits sell/make good gear so it is a really just a matter of what you want.

#5 ·
Daniel Defense 16" 5.56 1:7 Carbine Barrel

this is a very good barrel if you want all the mall-ninja chart goodies and don't want to pay full-mall ninja prices and can roll your own. thick hard chrome lining in the bore 1-7" twist, 4150CV steel and the big defense contractor name!

they also have the excellent daniel defense bolt carrier group for $139 and that is the cheapest any were on that.

i have used a few of these barrels and bolts and their first class. the barrels though might need a port enlargement to run with wolf or other soft ammo.

#7 ·
del-ton generally uses wilson and shaw barrels some of their barrels like 1-7" are 4150 steel.

so del-ton hardly a 'tapco".

the only thing i don't care much for is their bolt carrier groups. and even then they may be fine and the same as everybody else mill spec and so on. if i had one i would check the stake on the key and run the snot out of it!

i would think a del-ton upper would run and shoot as well as any bodys. i built a middy with one of their barrels and it runs great and very accurate.

if i was going to run a del-ton made upper i would get it with no bolt carrier group. then put in a LMT, DD or cmt made rock river/stag bolt carrier group--besides they only cost a little more and are a devil i know--LOL!

so del-ton is pretty darn good it is just the DS A's are better for the money right now.

the only thing about DS arms is your dealing directly with the factory sometimes they ship in a few days and sometimes it takes longer. two weeks+ it is worth it though just to get the n2 treated barrel.

you might ought to look at DS a" middy length upper it is n2 treated and is fluted for $300 there are some advantages to a middy gas set up. and it is worth the extra $25 unless your dead set on a m4--

#10 ·
it really just depends on what your budget is and how much you going to build yourself.

if you want the closest to the mall ninja god-chart you could build the daniel defense barrel. it will cost a little more. but is a very good piece of kit.

i think the big thing is if you want a 1-9" twist rate of a 1-7"

personally i think with wolf putting out 75gr ammo it would be worth the few extra bucks to get an upper with 1-7" twist rate.

of course i say that and i have several 1-9" barrels and they shoot perfectly fine and some 1-9" twist barrels will stabilize 75gp slugs perfectly well.

so there is a decent chance that the 16" will do OK with the longer 75 bullets.

i will say though that the few 1-9" barrels that shot the 75gr slugs well were 20" length.

i haven't tried the 75s in 16",14'5, or 11.5 1-9" barrels yet.

so consider the ammo your thinking of running and get the set up that best matches it.

#13 ·
Personally I would go:
BCM
Spikes
Stag at the very least.

My reasoning is for the price, you can't beat BCM and Spikes for the quality assurance they offer. Stag has come a long ways to cater to the gottahaveitmilspec crowd. It really isn't worth the money saved to go cheap with Del-Ton, Blackthorne and Model1sales to end up paying either shipping for warranty work or replacement, or buying quality parts after the cheap stuff breaks.

For good prices on Stag, Rock River and LMT uppers you should call Pete at Legal Transfers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.