Gunco Forums banner

LMT m16 seen while in the service?

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
everybody has seen some GM hydramatic a1's and a few H&R made m16a1s at one time or another.

most of the a2s are FN or colt and i don't recall seeing any other makes.(though there could be a few others)

but one i do remember was some LMT made m-16s with LMT made 203's attached to them. they had a green-gray finish rather than the black or gray of colt/FN.

now here is the foggy part-- the A2's were out then best i can recall the LMT's though brand new had the pencil barrel with the 203's

i can't for the life of me remember if the LMT/203 rifles were set up as a2 or a1 not?

anybody else see any LMT made 16s in the service??? any info on them?

#3 ·
I never have. My unit had so beat up old colt A2's and some other old A2 I cant remember what kind. My whole Battalion got band New M16A4 made by FN, damm those where fine rifles. I got to clean the packing grease off it. It was soo nice to have a new rifle to take on my last two tours I loved that rifle.

#5 ·
i could have swore we had a few of those saginaw gear marked at the very back of the arms vault along with some Remington and ibm 1911a1s that made a few runs up pork chop hill.

the LMTs that i was talking about were new issue in the mid to late 80s had the green gray finish and had the attached LMT 203 launcher.

the m16 was about half and half a2. the m203 had the same greenish/gray finish.

i guess you could call it a pencil barrel a2 built with a a1 upper. the were very finly made and shot wonderful as i recall. i don't recall the twist rate but i believe they were 1-7" like the a2s--

i am just wondering if LMT m16s were common back in the day or that those were one-offs.

so far i haven't heard of any one else getting those.

#6 ·
j4

All we had was the, I guess A1s back in 68. Officers and FACs carried shorties.
They got rid of the bird cage prong flash suppressors by the time I got there.
Damn things were getting stuck in the brush. They had switched too the round ones.
The magic black rifle that never needs cleaning. No cleaning kits issued. No lube. No sighting in. Selector lever welded on full auto. :rofl:
Spray and pray.
Dont remember seeing any of those you speak of.

#7 ·
All we had was the, I guess A1s back in 68. Officers and FACs carried shorties.
They got rid of the bird cage prong flash suppressors by the time I got there.
Damn things were getting stuck in the brush. They had switched too the round ones.
The magic black rifle that never needs cleaning. No cleaning kits issued. No lube. No sighting in. Selector lever welded on full auto. :rofl:
Spray and pray.
Dont remember seeing any of those you speak of.

i don't think they would have been around then 4th-- i am not sure when LMT came into being my guess would be the early 80s.

we had a lot of stuff that was marked "troy industries" but this was all add on stuff.

the irony 4th is that we had some of those ancient m16s with the duck-bills and no forward assist and chromed bolt and carrier slick-sides. -- i can't recall anyone ever taking one out of storage. i wish i had took one out and fired a few mags out of one of them and at least looked to see if the barrel had chrome or not--LOL

i guess after humping one in the bushes all day the last thing a 20 year man wants to do is fuck with another one--LOL i think the rule for the day was straight to the cantina--!!

#8 ·
I wasn't gonna post anything because it's not relevant to the question, but... I've seen a few picture's of Bushmaster's over there. They mostly seems to be PMC guys, but I saw one picture an armorer posted of a, I think Delton upper(Don't remember if it had a F/A carrier). It must have been one someone had brought over, and when they went home swapped it with a colt M4 upper?

#9 ·
i think the US government exported a bunch of bushmaster m4s and m16s.

i recall seeing a few in a photo taken in the Ukraine during that spar with russia of some bushmaster m4s they had captured.

i have heard that socom had some bushmaster m4s but i never saw any in the field.

#10 ·
I am really not familiar with the M16s of the 60s era, other than the ones we carried j4.
Think?? we trained on the M1 or M14 Garands in basic. So long ago I cant remember.
When I got too Ft. Polk for AIT. My MOS was recoil-less rifle. 11H10 I think it was.
Other guys may have been on the firing line with the 16s, but I was training on the recoil-less.
Really never touched one until I went on my world tour.
They handed me this black rifle, 300 rounds of ammo and said have fun.
Geez thanks. How the hell does it work?
Good article in this months NRA Rifleman magazine "Marksmanship Matters" explaining the up and down side of marksmanship in our Armed Forces.
The Marines, too their credit, really concentrated on rifle training and accuracy.
Not knocking my Army. But they were kind of more interested in getting warm bodies on the firing line in far off places, at that particular time.
I was lucky enough too be around guns as a kid. So I picked up on it rather quickly.
But some of the poor kids never touched a weapon until they entered the Service.
Good article. They explain that problem also and what they are now doing about it.
The old Nam era M16s are all over the place with the Thai Military.
Damn I wish I could have carried one home in my luggage.
Wonder if they would have spotted it when I went through the airport. :)

#11 ·
Ft. Polk OSUT, Charlie 1-1. 11BH01, 106 and 90mm recoilless, i remember that. my issue M16A1 was an H&R.

#12 ·
June 1968 here eldogg.. "Everyman A Tiger" sign.. Was that still there?
Tiger. After I sat in the sun and drank hot Texas Lone Star beer, I wanted too slice my wrists.

#13 ·
i wasn't there 'till june of 75. don't remember the sign. but i remember the heat and the black f*ck bugs.

#14 ·
Chiggers..

Posted before. But on the way down the pilot "Military DC-3" or something says.
"Wanna see some jungle." AHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaa... :smilie_sc
Swamp top level. Damn wings were hitting the brush.
30 guys screaming like little girls. :rofl:
I could not wait too get out of that stink hole and get too Nam. Never never have I been in a worse dump in my life.
If your in the Military and they tell you your going too Ft. Polk. Go friggen A.W.O.L.. :lol:

#15 ·
as part of "detachment-1" we even had to spend a few weeks training at ft.polk --seems like it was around 1982.

late june-- just right to be crawling around in the thickets cause all the snakes and bugs were out full-force by then.

thank the lord for 100% deet!
a snake and bug infested, gator filled swamp/rain forest steam bath.

but i have spent much time in WORSE places since. makes polk look like the good old days--LOL

#16 ·
Good man j4. Ft Polk survivor. :rofl: They trained me in that swamp hole. With a recoilless rifle. Then sent me too the damn mountains, where it got so cool sometimes we almost needed winter gear.
Never saw a swamp, or rice paddy again, till I moved too Florida. Or a recoiless rifle.
I was so glad too get out of "Devils Island" I mean Ft. Polk. Really did not care if they sent me too Bangladesh.
Gotta love the Guberment. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.