While surffing craigs list recently I found an add for a horazontal mill. After looking at the pictures it was an old line shaft mill that had been converted to electric drive. The seller said it powered up and worked so I stopped by last nite and took a look at it while out on a rare date with Mrs Moleman. Who says I don't know how to show a lady a good time. It was a turn of the century E.E. Garvin & Co. No.3 horizontal mill with a 8"x36" table, power feed, a vise, and about 20 cutters. It seemed to work although it is very dirty and grimey. The best thing was the price....$100:woot: And the Mrs said I should get it so it doesn't get sold for scrap.
SOOOO, today I got a trailer and some tools and gave a shot a moving it. I used a 2 ton engine hoist to remove the electric motor and transmission mounted on top of the mill first, Then lifted the mill and sat it on the hoist legs while moving it to the trailer. At the trailer we pushed it in as far as it would go and rolled it on pipes (which ViperDude reminded me to take and I would of been S.O.L. without) until it was in position. I had it sitting on a sheet of plywood that was screwed to the trailer deck, and had boards screwed around the base of the mill to keep it from sliding. Then I put eight or nine ratchet straps all around the mill to stablize it. I have no idea what the mill weighs, but the minivan didn't like towing it and I was "that idiot" driving 45-50mph down the expressway today. Back home removed it the opposite of putting it in. I'll need to go through it, clean it up and put it back together and eventually paint it, but for $100 with tooling I figured I couldn't go wrong.
Nice Find! $100?!?!
Make sure to give Mrs. Mole a hug and kiss from me. What a Lady....
Thanks Bellson, already taken care of. She thought it was a piece of history that should be saved. I did find out that the E.E. Garvin & Co. reformed in 1889-90 and dropped the E.E. from the name. So it looks like it is at least 121 years old.....and still works.
What a cute horizontal mill !!! It certainly does look victorian 19th Century. Glad your trip was safe and sound. Moving machinery can be hazardous.
Do check to see what taper is used on the mill. Sometimes the arbor is stuck super tight and requires real focus to get free like the chuck on your Sheldon lathe.
Great score there !!!! AK kits cost lots more than your mill these days !!!
I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. There was another arbor for it in the box of cutters. It has a smaller 2"-2.5" cutter on it so perhaps it is for smaller cutters than the large one thats on it now. It looks like it hasn't had any or limited mantenance in my lifetime, so I plan on doing that before I use it. Plus I'll have to figure out what the lube needs are. While I have the trailer I'm going to try and move the sheldon lathe out to the polebarn today.
WOW, great find for $100 !!!
Post your find over on the Practical Machinist forums, they have all sorts of guys into antique iron and someone may actually have the manual for your machine in a PDF. Almost sure someone will have an old catalog scan at least.
Did the electric motor go through an old Ford Model A manual trans? That was apparently the "hot setup" back in the day for converting lineshaft equipment.
Kernelkrink, The gear drive has a name plate that says "Turner UNI-Drive Ser# 17504 Model #B13 Turner Machine Co. Kanas City Mo." It it certainly old and beefy also. The motor was made by Howell Electric motor company Plainfield NJ 3/4hp, 110v, 11 amp, 1725 RPM. I didn't run it much as the gears in it sounded dry. Here's some pics of where I put it next to the other machines.
Hmmnn, never seen one of those gear drives before, they musta went "first class" instead of buying and adapting a $5 junkyard trans!
Well the gear drive was bone dry. Or at least I put a quart of 80-90 in it and if I tilt it about 30 degrees I still can't see any oil in the fill port. That did quiet down the gear noise quite a bit. I'll see what I can find out about the drive unit. It was adapted from some thing else and cobbled together. I'll let it set a while to see where/if the oil is leaking from before I put any more in.