Gunco Forums banner

Help ID'ing this Mauser please?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
My buddy picked this mauser up not too long ago for bout $100 he said, No real markings on it, its 7.57, and im thinking its a Portuguese Vergerio? But not sure. There are no crests, to proof marks other than an "X" or a "+" in a circle on the bottom.

See less See more
#6 ·
I believe the correct spelling is La Coruna, although you mostly see it spelled La Corona. The 7x57 is only about 200fps slower than the 7mm-08 and I don't think the deer can tell the difference.

#9 ·
Bump for Moleman...Right on all counts. It does look like a La Coruna 1893 Mauser. The lack of markings is a tell-tale of some South American Gov. purchases between rebellions. The dead give-away is the rear site markings....

#8 ·
As to the 7mm Mauser power .... I sold my Model 1893 Mauser to a cop I used to work with. He said he killed three deer as fast as he could work the bolt and pull the trigger.

I don't know what the limit was, but the limit in Alabama at that time was one a day for 99 days (or so I was told).

#10 ·
7x57 is a great cal, to bad it's the Spanish, it is the worst of the Mausers, most were converted to 308, and alas still a shitty Spanish Mauser. You can, with some work make them fairly OK, they don't shoot as well as some of the other varients but they do the job. Main issue I had was getting mine to shuck a round into the chamber without jaming the bullet tip all to hell, polish and camber the ramp as well as a Timmney trigger and a composit stock and they work much better. Oh yea, if you haven't shot it yet , hang on tight, and plug your ears. They pound and they BARK!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.