Gunco Forums banner

6.5 carcano

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  jimmy_stikx 
#1 ·
This is kind of a double question, will the AK and SKS actions withstand the 6.5 carcano? I ask because I want to work on an sks in that caliber (preferably that round) for a mid-range scout rifle.

#2 ·
#3 ·
To answer your original question, 40,000 to 42,000 psi (vs. 51,500 for the AK 7.62×39mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

SHOOTING THE 6

Compared to the 7.62x39, you know what 6.5mm Carcano costs per box?
AmmoEngine: 6.5x50mm Carcano, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

6.5x52mm Carcano : Rifle Ammo at GunBroker.com

You might be better off with 6.5mm Grendel
6.5 mm Grendel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the grendel would be not only be a bit less expensive it would also fit as it is more or less a straight walled 7.62x39 necked down to 6.5.

sort of a natural for 7.62x39 chambered guns.

i so want to do one of these in an AKM--

#4 ·
There's a thread about a Carcano conversion a few pages back.

If you're set up to reload Carcano already, it would be an interesting build. The Carcano is one of a small number of cartridges (.300 Savage, .35 Remingon, .22 Horner) that get a lot of performance from relatively low pressure.

Hcpookie also did a build in 6.5x55. As noted above, the 6.5 Grendel is basically a no-brainer.

#5 ·
If im not mistaken the carcano is the same rim diamiter as the x39. I thought about a wildcat based on one but relized it was a stupid idea and brass was to pricy and all that and I would not gain any thing.

on a AK you would be better to do a 260 remington and load it a little lighter. It will blow the doors of a grendal and would be cheaper to reload if you used 7.62x51 brass necked down.

THE AK IS NOT RESTRICTED TO A AR LENGTH MAG WELL SO WHY KEEP USING SHORT ROUNDS IF YOUR BUILDING A CALIBURE CONVERSION AK???

#7 ·
cause i got a supply of 6.5g
yea thats a pretty valid reason LOL.

Im all for moding an existing AK to shoot a standard mag well length round. I guess if Im building from scratch it just makes more sence to go with a longer mag well and the mods to make it work. I cant say enough how well my 300 savage works over the x39 for hunting. the other reason I like going that route is its really easy to get a take off barrel in 243, 308, 7mm-08 already chamberd.

I have done a couple barrels in grendal for vz 58,s and AK,s t the feed back has been all positive. I rented a reamer for those. I may invest in my own reamer at some point and make up a few AK barrels if there is any intrest. unfortunatly there are no cheap Blanks. I ocasional find 260 remington barrels but there nver cheap. they can be rechambered.

I also keep thinking a simple knecked down x39 case to 6mm or 6.5 would yeild good performance and feed well from a standard mag. it would not be as fast as a grendal but it would still bea good round.

#10 ·
I'm looking more at the sks platform so as not to run afoul of californian rules. I didn't realize the grendel was coming in cheaper than carcano rounds.
Im not sure your going to get a carcano round to fir in a SKS action with out some serious mods. I think you can build a saiga clone with no pistol grip and all that on a NDS or other no on the banned list reciver to give you the abilty to use AK internals.

I do agree that if your going with a SKS then a grendal might be the way to go. less mag well mods if any.

Ive been collecting pieces for a AK based rifle for my dad in California and I was under the impression that if it had no evil features and a small mag it was dooable. I relize the Saiga is banned there ( I think) but if one had a SaIga rerecivered to a non ban reciver it was legal. I planed on building a 243 win on a home made reciver with no pistol grip, Saiga stock, saiga trigger ( much modded so it dont suck) a sagia fore grip, non threaded barrel, no bayo lugs, basicaly a sporting rifle with a AK carreir and trunion.

I may be wrong but Ive always been under the impression that a SKS was weaker than a AK as well. Might be a concern as the Grendal is loaded hotter than the 7.62x39 as I recall ( Might be wrong I have about 50 builds Inmmy head right now) LOL

wasent Will Hayden doing some California legal AKs????

#11 ·
all so if you get into reloading the grendal can be made from x39 brass if you cant finnd decent priced brass already made.

a 260 wold be nice. most of my high power irons are 308s.
I have done a couple barrels for guys with saiga 308,s and they susposedly shot well. they were a light profile like the original so Im a litttle dubvious that they didnt start to walk some as they heated up. I have a couple blanks here and Im doing one for my own 308 Sagia that will see full power loads and its a fast twist barrel to allow me to shoot the heavier bullets. Im hoping for P dogs at 1000 YDS. the other is going to be a 6.5-284

I have a couple stainless light weight remington take offs in 260 that im going to put on a standard AK trunion and load them on the light side. one will be a pistol with a 14" inch barrel . the other Im hoping for a super light weight AK rifle as a carry around hunting version for my son to use next year.

#12 ·
I don't know about the Saiga's or much on what recievers are banned or not, I'm not from there, just unfortunately stationed there. I have seen a converted p-grip Saiga for sell out there, though it had some weird contraption for a "bullet button" setup on it from K-var.

I don't know if the sks receiver is weaker or not, I have heard that some have converted it to 5.56 though, so maybe not to much weaker?

#13 ·
IO shows a CA legal ak on there site.

Welcome to I.O. Inc.

I have read of SKS failures you see very little AK failures. the SKS is a milled reciver and Im not sure how much more mag well room you can get out of one. the 6.5 carcano is a lot longer round. IMOO you would be much better off getting a saiga in california trim in 308 ( if possable) and swaping in a 260 remington barrel you could likely do the barrel swap fro around $150 .

#16 ·
Cool stuff. Yeah, I'm not big on having to apply for a permit to have my AWs out there with me
WHY WOULD YOU NEED A PERMIT?? IF THE GUN IS LEGAL YOU DONT NEED A PERMIT TO HAVE IT IN CALIFORNIA. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REGISTER IT OR SOME THING BUT THAT IS WITH ANY FIREARM YIOU BRING IN. ITS ONLY ILLEAGLE IF ITS ON THE BANNED LIST OR MEETS SOME OTHER ILLEAGEL DESCRIPTION. A SKS WOULD NOT BE ANY DIFFERANT.

#17 ·
I meant my other "evil" weapons I have in FL. I would need to apply for CA's aw permit they have for military personel to bring in my standard config AKs and sig556. I'm not doing that, they don't need to know I have them, and I shouldn't have to have anymore paperwork on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.