ive wondered too if your bolt stop could be a piece of poly like a buffer?
Well, I wound up just welding in a block of keystock. I was being lazy that night, and figured even though I feel my adjustable bolt/jamb nut idea is a good one, it would have taken longer to do. I had to hurry and get it ready to test on Sunday, so I welded in the key stock.
Didn't get to test it due to the weather, but I found a problem when hand cycling. I trimmed the ejector too short/narrow. It was only hitting the shell base, if you pulled the bolt towards the left as you pulled backwards. If you pulled straight back, it would just barely hit the casing, enough to strip it off the bolt, but not enough to actually kick it out of the receiver. Then of course the casing would hang up the action. I need to add weld material to the ejector this evening. Glad I found it now, rather than at the range. I hate the weather wasn't co-operating, not to mention that I've got the start of a sinus/upper respiratory infection going on. Felt like crap all day yesterday. Maybe next weekend.
While trying to keep busy in the shop this week, I decided to make my own muzzle brake for this build. Started with a scrapped aircraft jet engine part that was going to be thrown away. I liked the look and shape of it, and saved it. It's been languishing in my tool box for years. Not even totally sure what it is/was. Some kind of a fuel nozzle adaptor I think.
Any rate, it had a standard 1-1/4" "nut" cast into the original part. I cut that off and ground it down, then chucked it up in the redneck lathe, my drill press. Kept grinding until it was smooth and somewhat even. Center drilled the hole up to .4xx. Don't remember the exact dimension, but it's what the tap and die chart calls for for a 1/2-20. The barrel on my build is threaded 1/2-28 like an AR, so obviously thats what I tapped the muzzle brake to. Then I drilled a hole pattern that is part AK74, and part Magna-Port style. Not sure if it will do anything but it looks interesting. It even clocked correctly when I installed it. Well, here she is:
Awesome job on the brake, the amount, type and location of the ports looks professional.
That looks so good! You did very well. Can't wait to hear the range test
Thanks Mule. Will post range report soon I hope.