Gunco Forums banner

Triangular pencil barrel upper questions?

847 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gunnerone 
#1 ·
A few years years back I picked up a m16 upper at the creek. It has forward assist. It is coded to have a chrome chamber, but not the bore. I think it's a 1 in 12 twist. Now I am wondering what would be historically correct way to assemble this upper? For now it's been on a dpms lower a2 stock, dpms ar15 bolt, but I just got a fn m16a2 barrel 1 in 7 twist and I think I would like to transfer the new barrel to the dpms lower. I also have a shorter early type buttstock, pistol grip without the extra bump (a1?), and three prong flash hider. I think Nodak has a more correct lower I could buy.

Guess I'm wondering if my short stock, upper, and three prong flash hider go together? Or what to buy to make it most historically correct or at least in appearance?

Thanks
Kyle

#3 ·
i think your parts combo is pretty close. i am not sure the chrome chamber 1-12" goes on an A1 upper with FA.

are you SURE you don't just have a chrome lined A1 barrel?

if your trying to build a correct a1 replica "retro black rifle" is the best source of info.

Green Mountain sells a1 style chrome lined barrels in 1-7" and 1-8" .

a A2 barrel in one in 7 will run even the heavy 77gr rounds with no problems and can still shoot the 50gr types well. only thing is an a2 is a bit thicker where you can see it--

i recently built an a1 replica that is not "correct" from a non chromed delton barrel and a 600 series colt slick-side upper & DPMS three prong FH. it is a very popular rifle around here.

i thought about making a correct version --but i hate to keep fixing a rifle that ain't broke! it is a sweet shooter--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.