Gunco Forums banner

Vulcan POS

941 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
Howdy Men,

Been a while...my son asked me to look around for an upper receiver for his pos vulcan chambered in .223. He just text me and said it was in three pieces?? I never got an answer as to why the failure, but can only imagine. I told him long ago to get rid of the pos...with it's screw on, sloppy fitting barrel to it's cheap plastic receiver. Any way I am asking if there may be compatible upper receivers of an alloy construction and or should he start from the ground up with a more reliable manufacturer?

#3 ·
good question.

if it was mine i would tear it down and mike everything, look for cracks, cross threads and the like. find out what is wrong and replace the affected parts as needed.

to me is sounds like you got one of those "carbon fiber crack-o-matic" uppers on your hands. if that is the case replace the upper with a forged receiver unit.

you might be able to live with a carbon fiber lower IF it ain't cracked or split yet.

in an AR-15 it is advisable to avoid plastic/carbon fiber uppers and lowers of any make and vulcan/hesse/ blackthorn and whatever name their using this week parts.

the order of the day is "run gump run!"

the good news is the AR-15 is a modular system, there are plenty of parts to repair your upper and no matter how bad you think that upper is it can be made into a good upper unit.

i can't repair the lower as that is an FFL item. i can repair the upper if you supply the parts. if your are interested send me a PM--

#4 ·
If the bolt and bolt carrier group are still good, just get a decent upper and put his parts in it. Rebarreling an ar15 is very easy but does require a $10-$25 barrel nut wrench depending on what handguard you go with, and a $15 set of barrel blocks to use in a vise. The barrel blocks can be made, but for $15 it's not worth the time. I would not put another composite upper back on that lower and not expect the "new" upper to fail at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.