Gunco Forums banner

16in Saiga 308 Gas Port Diameter/Drill Size?

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  sct1886 
#1 ·
I have been searching the whole darned internet and on here for days trying to get the correct gas port diameter/drill bit size for a 16in Saiga 308 and I can't find it. If you know it please share it if you don't but you have a 16in Saiga 308 please press that gas block forward and measure your gas port and I will send you a $10 bill to post it on here(please post a pic and describe your method of measurement).

This is aggravating me beyond my capacity for rational thought and held up my skinny barrel Saiga 308 project for almost a month!

:help2::help2::help2:

#2 ·
Screwjob, I would check over on the Saiga 12 Forum. Best chance to get that info. I only have an S12, so no .308 to check for you, otherwise I would gladly check.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I think it should be around 070 as well maybe smaller . like i said its going to likely be the same in your longer barrel. do not go by the hole in the block its self.

what is the size of the hole on the 22" barrel??????

.180 is bigger thaan what a x39 needs with 15,000 psi less pressure.

#8 ·
The hole size depends on how much barrel is in front of the gas block. If theres only an inch of barrel past the gasblock you would need a larger hole as there is less time to build pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel. start with a factory sixe hole try it and go from there, you can always open it up more.

#9 ·
start with a factory sixe hole try it and go from there,
But that's the problem, no one seems to know what the factory hole size is? Only one person posted info, which no one is sure if it's right, and everyone else seems to be guessing.

I tried to check my 22"barrel model, but I'll have to look for something to fit into the 90 degree gas block.

#14 ·
I dont see why thats relevant, Hole size is dependant on how much barrel is forward of the gasblock. The less barrel the bigger the hole. If hes building it start small and work up
THAT MIGHT BE TRUE ON A SUPER SHORTY PISTOL BUT ON A RIFLE ITS NOT GOING TO MAKER A HUGE DIFFFERANCE ON AN AK. LIKE I SAID IF HE IS CUTTING DOWN A 22" BARREL TO 16 HE IS STUCK WITH THE ORIGINAL HOLE SIZE TO BEGIN WITH TO BEGIN WITH. TRY IOT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS. IF HE IS MAKING A NEW BARREL OR RELOACTING THE GB THEN GO .020 SMALLER AN WORK BACK UP.

IMO THINGS ARE GETTING OVER THOUGHT OUT.

ON MY 308 AND OTHER CONVERSIONS I START AT ABOUT .065 AND GO UP FROM THERE UNTILL THE GUN WILL CYCLE ON THE LIGHTEST LOADS I PLAN TO SHOOT.

MANY FACTRY AK,S ARE OVER GASSED SO THEY WORK IN DIRTY COLD CONDITIONS. IT WOULD BE BETTER TO RUN A LITTEL SMALLER PORT THAN STOCK IMO AND ITS WHAT I DO ON MY TARGET STUFF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.