Gunco Forums banner

el-cheapo 1911 barrels

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
Semi Drop-In Barrel 1911 45 ACP 1 16 Twist 5 Government Steel Matte Black

one of my buddies dropped by yesterday for a short range session with my new RIA build and his new RIA build.

on my RIA project i went with a so-called colt barrel from numrich GPC. now i can't say for sure this is a colt product but it is very close to those old GI barrels. it is blackened on the outside and the inside of the bore looks to be just polished steel . it is a one piece barrel. it has no markings so it could be a AO or even a RIA/armscore-- ya never know less there are numbers or markings of some sort. but so much for it being a real colt-and were talking grab-bag numrich here- so milage may vary--LOL

i had nearly bought one of those swenson brand named barrels from midway USA a couple months back when they were on sale for $39.99

anyway he built his with one of these $39.99 barrels, when we did a little shooting it seemed very accurate and had no problems.

he field stripped his to show me how the barrel looked.

he had polished all the black off the barrel hood and try as i might even with my 3.25 up close specs in the bright sun light i could not find a parting line that a two piece has. the barrel is black inside and out and covered with some kind of slick like coating. is is roughly made on the outside with forging marks under the coating. these ain't ROTOs best i can tell.

the inside looks good--the rifling seems light to my eye but that could be trying to look down that black bore.

it has the proper shaped "U" feed ramp. the chamber looks correct . he fired two boxes of tula and one box of JHP reloads with no malfunctions. accuracy was good-- the 230 jhp reloads were doing under 2" @ 30 yards the tula shot 3" 30 yards but grouped about 6" low , it must have been the ammo cause my 1911s did about the same . i have seen spotty results from tula before so this ain't no shocker to me--

in spite of the rough looking outsides the barrel seems to shoot and function very well.

i have heard a lot of bad mouth on Swebson and JM parts and some of it is true. but this barrel other than being ugly as sin sure seems to be good in function and accuracy for what it costs.

it might bre a good substitute for those $40 RIA barrels that are also on a forever back-order.

i don't think he had to fit the barrel to his brazillian surplus slide. he just polished the hood for looks.

as far as ugly goes --most of the barrel is hid in the slide--LOL!

See less See more
#4 ·
#3 ·
You might want to do some research on the reliabilty of those rifle conversion kits. With that long bbl hanging off the front it acts as a lever with the bbl bushing being the fulcrum. Sorta the same problem one has when a suppressor is mounted, the gun don't wanna cycle. There is probably a reason most pistol caliber rifles use plain old straight blowback......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.