Gunco Forums banner

LOOKING AT A 6MM-223

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)
Xxxx

#2 ·
Hornady makes or at least used to make 6x45/6mm-223 dies that cost the same as their normal dies where as from anyone else the were listed as semi custom ($). The shoulder is easily set back so you have to seat and crimp in two steps. I shoot a lot of 223 so I use nickle cases for the 6mms so i don't get them mixed up.

#8 ·
Your not going to get the "Original" barrel bored out to 6mm.

I have been shooting the 6x45mm for at least 30 years. It is an excellent wild cat for the .223/5.56mm platform.

You only have to get the dies which open the neck to 6mm. The best bullet I have found is the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT (#1530) it performs great out to 600 yards. And believe me I have tried many.

What is really great about the 6x45mm is there is less felt recoil than the 5.56mm. Yest, I know, but it's true. Also, another advantage is that the 6x45mm has less bore wear that the 5.56mm.

I got my High Master Card (NRA-High Power) using the 6x45mm.

However, with today’s bullets/barrels/powder I'm sure you can accomplish the same thing with a 5.56mm barrel in 1-7/1-8 twist.

#13 ·
I really enjoyed varmint hunting with mine.. but I think I maxed out my shoot at about 300 yards.. but a ground hog is a very good shot at 300 yards.. I think it is a great idea and it is a good conversion.. but I don't think you can expect it to preform..like a 243 or 223WSSM.. it just doesn't have the case volume to push the envelope too much.. I think the best load is about 95-100 gr bullets.. H332 H335 are prob the best powders.. to use also.. B2B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.