Gunco Forums banner

WHAT TO DO WITH A MOSIN RECEIVER

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
i got a mosin receiver and one of those monster x54 barrels in a trade recently. decided that the barrel would look/work so much better on a psl, so i have the receiver, bolt body and a rock solid scope mount laying around looking lonely.

option 1- find a barrel and build. where????

option 2- get rid of it....

option 3- ??????????????????

#3 ·
unless you got all the trigger parts springs screws and all the little stuff iuts cheaper just to buy another rifle complete. they will nickle an dime you to death to peice one together.

if you have all the bits and pieces then tere are some options you could build a sporting riflew out of it with a custom barrel or do a calibur coinversion to some thing like a 444 marlin or maybe a 6.5x54r

I wish there were some dirt cheap bad bore rifles to buy but they must get parted out.

#4 ·
bg got everything but the barrel and the bolt. i wish i had and knew how to use a lathe. some guys at the weaponsguild have done some crazy stuff with a mosin.

if i didnt already have 3 mosins in the closet...

#6 ·
well a bolts about $35 or so since the reciver is already in your name it might make sence to build it into somehting. im not sure who can tread a blank for you but there are guys who will. a .308 bore vrsion with a heavy barrel that you hand load for would be cool. maybe a 444 marlin. Willie who is a meaber here built some cool stuff on the mosin recivers. do a search an see if you can find his threads.

you might be able to demil it an then weld it back together for a pistol build .

if you decide to sell the parts let me know Im piecing a few m44,s together and need a lot of little parts.

#14 ·
THE GUNS ARE AGOOD CHEAP PLATFORM TO PLAY WITH. BUT IF YOUR GOING TO REALLY GET INTO IT MUCH I STILL FELL THE FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS SAVED INITALY IS LONG GONE BY THE TIME YOU GET ONE DONE RIGHT VS REWRKING A MORE TRADITIONAL MAUSER OR OTHER RECIVER. THAT GUY COULD HAVE HAD A MUCH MORE VALUBALE GUN FOR LESS WHEN DONE IF HE HAD STARTED WITH A MAUSER. IF YOUR GOING TO STICK A $1000 INTO A CUSTOM SPORTER ID NOT USE THE MOSIN.

NOW IF YOU LIKE THE 7.62X54 AND THE BARREL IS GOOD AN YOU JUST WANT A GOOD RIFLE TO KILL A FEW DEER THEN THERE GREAT. CHOP THE BARREL A LITTLE REWORK THE BOLT CLEAN UP THE TRIGGER SOME HOW AND FIGURE OUT A SCOPE MOUNT, ADD A STOCK IF YOU FEEL THE NEED AND YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD HUNTING RIFLE FOR AROUND $200.

I NOW HAVE A FEW OF THEM AN IM THINKING I MIGHT WELD UP THE BRIDGE MOVE THE BOLT HANDEL BACK AN DRILL AN TAP THE WELDED RECIVER FOR A SCOPE RAIL.
WAS THINKING A HEX RECIVER WITH A HALF HEX BARREL IN 45-70 OR A 6.5X54r WOULD BE COOL. THERE ARE SOME GOOD STOCKS OUT THERE. I WOULD NOT ENTERTAIN ANY OF THIS IF I DIDNT HAVE A LATHE, MILL, TIG AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF NEEDED. IT WOULD BE A FUN CHEAP PROJECT IF I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO. OTHER WISE ID JUST BUY A MAUSER OR REM 700 AND DO THE BOLT ON ROUTE.

A GUY WOULD BE SMART TO BUY A FEW OF THESE TO STASH AWAY WHILE THERE STILL CHEAP AS WELL AS THE AMMO TO GO WITH THEM. I HAVE A ROUGH M44 THAT I MIGHT CUT DOWN EVEN MORE AN MAKE A 16" BARRELD OPEN SIGHT BRUSH/TRUNK GUN. THE EXISTING BARREL IS ROUGH AT THE MUZZEL END THE BAYONET IS MISSING AND THE NUMBERS DONT MATCH. MAYBE ADD A FOLDER TO THE MIX FOR GIGGLES AN A AMD 65 BRAKE OR SOMETHING FUNKY . THE GUN IS WORTH ABOUT $60 AS IS IN PARTS. I WAS ORIGINAL GOING TO CUT IT UP AN REWELD IT AS A VIRGIN RECIVER FOR A PISTOL BUILD BUT IM NOT SURE IM COMFORTABLE WITH THE LEGALITYS OFDOING IT. AN IM NOT SURE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT.

#17 ·
Im not sure what to do with it. its a m44 but its really rough I havent shot it but the barrel is not great. ..

A skeleton folder with a red dot and a break of some sort would be cool I have some g3 flash hiders. I was thinking the amd 65 brake would work better. maybe one of those spiked breaks. I have alot of better stuff on the plate before this.

maybe a SBR with a folder an a 14" barrel LOL

If you cant hit them you cpould blind them with the fire ball. or cook hot dogs with it .

#20 ·
mauser 98's are getting very scarce,exept for yugos,which is fine if you want to stick with a cartridge about the same length as 8mm mauser.I'm building an african safari rifle, 458 win mag, from a 1909 arg mauser, but I fear it may be the last one i get to build in a magnum caliber. Mosins are fairly cheap, and i would like to build a 95 mauser look alike, with butterknife handle, shanabel fore arm etc. But of course 98 mauser is best to build, just wish I could find vz24 for 80 bucks like I did years ago.

#21 ·
Oh God! How many '98s I bought on a whim. At one point, I walked into a Big 5 in Santa Maria and they had VZ24s on sale for $59 each plus $15 for the transfer. I asked the Manager how many he had in stock, and he said "22". I said "Not any more".. I bought Parker Hale Barrels that same day from GunParts (Numrich) for $30 each, and Fajen seconds for $48 each. Rounded it out with Bold Triggers for $21 each, and a grand total of $35 each for Machine Work. Add it up: $194 each. I sold them (20) over the next year for $350-550 each. All I had to do was take a couple of prospects to the range and shoot some.....Easy money....

#23 ·
I'm building an african safari rifle, 458 win mag, from a 1909 arg mauser
I HAVE A MATCHED PAIR OF 1909 ARGINTINE MAUSERS I ORIGINAL BOUGHT TO SPORTERISE BUT THEY HAVE GONE UP IN PRICE SO MUCH AND THERE REALLY DECENT ITS A SHAME TO CUT THEM UP. I CAN SELL THEM AN JUST BUY WHAT I WANT BUT I HATE TO SELL ANYTHING. THEY HAVE THE NICE DROP DOWN FLOOR PLATE AND ALL THE DESIRABLE FEATURES. ID LOVE TO HAVE JUST A ACTION OFF OF ONE .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.