Gunco Forums banner

No-weld tubegun build?

12K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
So, was wondering if there were any of you that had completed a no-weld, no machining tubegun build, along the lines of the MG47ES by Sharpshooter a few years ago. I think it would be great for someone without a welder or mill to be able to use a dremel, machine screws and silver solder to make their own semiauto tubegun. Thoughts? What kit would lend itself to such a project?

D-R

#2 ·
Hello D-R,
The only kit that comes to mind is an AK kit screw-build which would include bolting the rails in place. Whether you fold a flat or carve out an 80% with your Dremel tool it still fits the criteria.

A round tube semi-auto like from a Sten MK-II kit will require some careful silver braze and rivits as well as store-bought semi-auto pieces. A MK-III kit using a MK-II mag housing might save some effort on the front end built as a pistol.

If there were a super simple/easy kit as you wish the gun nazi feds would be all over it big time reducing it to crumbs.

VD

#3 ·
Way back in the day there was a .45 Tommygun "clone", I forget who made it. Took greasegun mags, the lower was cast AL, the rest was simple lathe pieces. The "receiver" was just a plain steel tube with cutouts in the appropriate places. The end caps were held on with three allen bolts, the bottom rear was longer and held the lower at the rear, the front lower mount bolt threaded into the front endcap/trunnion and also secured the bbl in place. The bolt was very simple, just a two diameter metal slug with the rear sized to fit the tube and the front end just a small cylinder slightly larger than the cartridge with a screw on spring steel extractor. Sorta looked like the SUOMI bolt, cocking was done by reaching through the ejection port and pushing rearward on the larger diameter of the bolt. Ejector was a single bolt threaded through the side, ala' the real Tommy.

Something very similar could be done with say an HK lower, all you would need is a couple mounting lugs and the entire FCG is done. Magwell could even be interchangeable for different cals and mags. The bolt could be made from two sizes of round stock, a drill press would suffice for the basic machining they would need. A cocking handle could be installed, holding the two pieces together and allowing quick changeover of calibers.

#4 ·
we've done sten MKII's & III's with no welding, but you still have to cut the slots out by whatever way you choose.

like Kernel said: AK's done that way too... PPS43's.... and the old CSSpphs41 didnt need any welding either... just tons of cutting and filing.

#6 ·
I make a "square" bolt that fits into a square DOM tube, you can bolt/pin a trunnion and barrel on one end and a stock/return spring on the other end. You only need to cut out for the ejection port and magazine. The Mag well and FCG (Cetme) can be bolted or riveted.
No Welding

#7 ·
That sounds interesting Pryotex. Got any pics or drawings? When you say "make" do you mean for yourself, or for sale to us enthusiasts?

Kernel, I like the sound of the Tommy Gun clone as well. That sounds cool. I used to have a production copy of a Tommy Gun made by Volunteer Enterprises in Tennessee back in the late 60's, early 70's. Took M3 grease gun mags as well. It was a fun shooter. I really liked it. Unfortunately I traded it for an unissued numbers matching Polish underfolder AK kit. At the time it was a good deal, but I do miss that subgun.

#8 ·
Here is the bolt in the tube and a Video, NO I AM NOT AN ANNOUNCER, Talking on videos is not my favorite thing :sick:
[video=youtube;lwSGl10RTao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwSGl10RTao]Pryotex Universal 9mm / TOK Bolt - YouTube[/video]

The bolt has a slot for a AR style hammer. (Cetme/Fal will work also)

Attachments

#9 ·
Hello Pyrotex,
That's a very neet universal bolt. I gather that the truncated corner to corner measurement for a round tube is less than 1.4 inches ???

What is the bolt weight ???

Do you have any plans to make a similar bolt in .45 ACP ????

What magezines do you reccommend ???

VD in AZ

#10 ·
They are from 1.23" to 1.0", They do still work in a round tube. The closer to the 1" size the more of the flat sides are removed. I have made them in 9mm, 45acp, .40cal. I'll have to reweigh one, I forgot where I posted that info.

#13 ·
Pyrodex , that is an awesome looking job .

#15 ·
ive done builds with pryotex's bolt set up, including a square tube build last year....

its an easy bolt to use with an AR FCG. :)

#17 ·
Dang, I missed all this somehow. Pyrotex, thats a great bolt set-up. How much are those? Could you maybe post a build on here, so I don't have to keep jumping over to WG?? Most of my computer time is while I'm at work, and I have issues sometimes getting onto WG's website.

Dutigaf, I know you are on both. Could you post some of your build info here? I really like the idea of a square tube gun build with an AR FCG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.