Gunco Forums banner

wrong barrel

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  perry 
#1 ·
i bought a heavy 20" barrel and was building a retro m-16a1. wrong answer the barrel to thick for the old triangular hand guards.i never thought twice until mock up time.

#2 ·
Perry there may be a way. Just saw one built by a guy who worked at olympic arms when it was put together. He sold it to his nephew, who is the son of a co-worker. I'll see if I can get a look at it soon. It had HBAR bbl and triangle handguards I'm sure of it. Maybe someone here knows how its done.

#7 ·
humm a DPMS H-bar has the correct stuff --so it should fit.

what is making contact? the barrel to the heat shield?

i have seen H-bars with the USGI triangle hand-guards -

-hell i recently did a dissipator 16" 7.62x39 with H-barrel and under the hand-guards gas block and it fit with the USGI triangle hand-guards so i can't really sey how the triangle hand-guards would not fit the standard length H-barrel--???

you might have a bent or warped heat shield--??

#13 ·
there should not be any conflicts fitting a standard 20" H-bar to the triangular hand-guards.

you need to show us some photos of what the problem is.

i have fitted the triangle HGs to the 7.62x39 H-barrel with a hidden gas block --the gas block is far bigger than .750" there shouldn't be any problem unless you got a bull barrel--

some photos right now would certainly help us see WTH is going on.

a stock H-barrel with regular barrel nut --should fit.

#17 ·
my h-bar barrel is .875" right at the gas block, my USGI surplus a1 triangle hand-guards just slipped right on there-- no fitting grinding no nothing--

the triangle HGs have some room there -- to me it looks like anything smaller than a bull-barrel should work and none of the GI type barrels with the front sight should be so large in diameter to be a problem--

now where is it not fitting ? the front or on the back near the barrel nut?

#18 ·
this barrel is .980 at the front sight and that is the biggy so it might be a bull barrel. now dpms says their a2 guards will fit but doing a a1 retro so trying to make it work or change to a pencil barrel which i think would been better but son likes that heavy thing.

#19 ·
OK that is the deal you got a bull barrel --- yea the barrel opening on the front of my a1 hand-guards is .899"

@ .980" your probably going to have to do something with the heat shields as well.

if you can fir them it is going to be very -very close ===:salute:

just checked the triangle GIs --they look like they can be opened up to .985" YMMV--LOL

regular round hand guards from an A2 look to have more than enough opening for the .980 bull barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.