Gunco Forums banner

AR Vietnam build

8K views 80 replies 15 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
I'm I to late for the AR Vietnam build using a parts kit and receiver from Nordic spud? I was looking at some parts kits online months ago and now I can't find any.

#2 ·
-- i would say this ain't a good time to be embarking on an AR-15 build--just about everybody is out of everything.

during that most recent panic ar15 parts, mags and ammo sold out in hours.

we have been sort of expecting a full on panic anytime--but it came sooner and bigger than we expected.

i hope this ain't turning into another "back in the good old days" deal --but it ain't looking good.

#4 ·
gizmo hang in there.. Most gun sights the people have what they need..
During the last panic it was not the collectors panicking, but probably those who did not own a weapon?
They stormed the stores and grabbed everything they could get their hands on. After the panic, when things calmed down, they had stuff they did not need or want..
These moronic unenforceable laws they are passing, well will pass..
Never buy during a panic, let the others buy. When it is over, the good deals will be back..

#5 ·
Yeah, depending on how things go down in the near future, I'm wanting to build a semi auto copy of the old M16 A1 I carried in the Marine Corps back in 1982. I loved that weapon.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Thanks Tim ! Maybe I'll get a kit to put away just in case I ever do get an interest.
Some day I'm going to tell you about my sister in law who has been soliciting time shares on Daytona beach for near 30 years now & she's still pretty hot.

Brad

#13 ·
Wait a minute now. Not so quick Brad, lets talk about her. I always wanted a time share.. :)
My girlfriend calls me "Sugar Daddy" whatever the hell that means.
Any woman comes within 100 yards of the house, she turns into a female Bruce Lee. :)

God if they ever let importation of those old M-16s.. Their has to be millions of them left behind in the Orient..
In my brief stint at importation. One of the rules was..
"No weapon manufactured by the U.S. if lend leased, or given, shall be allowed back into the U.S." Something like that..
Guess once us taxpayers give em, they do not care anymore.

#14 ·
So....Is $540.00 a decent price for one of these kits????

Please ? anybody??

Thanks, Brad

P.S. 4thIDvet. She's hooked up with a rettired marine pilot who now flys celebs around in private jets from Orlando. tiger Woods & such...

Oh wait...He IS OUT OF TOWN for days at a time.....

#16 ·
So....Is $540.00 a decent price for one of these kits???? ..

I guess the cost is in the eye of the beholder. You will still need a lower, I think they are about $160 and I would suggest Nodak Spud. I waited about 4 months for my A1 lower but it was worth it. The barrel will be in the $200 range. I bought one a year ago and have been slowly working on it as time allows.
I have always wanted the "Original" and this is as close as I could come to it. To me the $1,000 was worth it.

#17 ·
I've had absolutley ZERO interest in any type of AR, until the threat of a ban has reared it's ugly head.
Or was that feinsteins ugly head reared up?? Heh..Heh

I guess I'll put one on back order.

I imagine 922R is not an issue.

#18 ·
I aint fighting no Marine.. :rofl:
Brad determining prices now is like picking the winning lotto numbers, anybody's guess..
I passed up a 1975 AR slab-side private sale here a bit back, $750..
Friend needed money.. Now God only knows..

#20 ·
I don't get along with Sarco very well. I tried again last week on the 1911 stuff. Mail order from website is OK.. Telephone ......not so much. It's like I'm talking to someone from another planet. Probably just me..

#21 ·
Well; I ordered the kit. Now could someone point me to the correct barrel? I've tried so hard to avoid ar's & .233s' that I turn away when I see a picture or a post! I swear this one kit is all I'll ever buy. But I want to get the right parts. I'll wait until hopefully things calm down & get the correct Nodak receiver. Upper/lower WTF?? I've seen 4th post about pins & springs and such. But I saw that by mistake & erased it from my mind real quick.

I only bought this because of the Nam history & the chance Barry will say I can't have one. Oh....Colt is cool too.

It looks like no bayonet is included either.

I'll wait until my next trip to Florida & ask Tim to put it together for me. I'm sure he can do it blindfolded.

Thanks for any advice, Brad

#22 ·
I ordered the NDS lower and also wanted to get it "Battlefield Pickup buffed"
I sent them the upper from my kit so they could match the lower and they called me to confirm that I wanted the upper buffed. I asked why and he told me that it was one of the nicest original uppers that he had seen and he hated to polish it down to bare metal in some spots. He made me a great deal on a blem upper matched to my lower and the pristine orig. upper is setting in my safe.

As far a barrels, mine came with a colt pencil type barrel that was already parked and the front sight/gas block was installed.

you might want to check out www.retroblackrifle.com for lots of specific info on your make and model.

#23 ·
Bradrock, Years ago before clinton passed the "no USA gun parts" bs law, sarco had new in the beeswax gauze wrap barrels for $99. I got one and after digging it out from the mummification process it turned out to be a colt! They were barrels we had given Israel and they were selling them back to us IIRC. They're all gone now, but Green Mountain sells the m16a1 barrel that you need although they are listing it as out of stock, but they should make more and get them listed again. They do have other barrels like the A2 version listed as in stock. AR-15 / M16 / M4 Rifle Barrels from Green Mountain

#24 ·
Brad...

Blindfolded ? Hell I had to watch the You Tube video 27 times to put the damn thing together.. At that I put the hammer spring in backwards.
Not here, you have to go to j4's house..
Hell when I was in the Military, no weapons were issued too us with a number assigned. No one gave a flying frig. Just grab something in the field and go.
I had a shotgun, damn wish I sent that home, then a M-16.
Their was more weapons than Men to use them. Other than the M-60, grab what the hell yah wanted.
Add too the fact, during my adventure, it was the weapon that did not need cleaning. So NO cleaning kits were issued.
In defense of the weapon, could it jam, sure any weapon could..
But we beat the hell out of them and they kept on ticking..
First time I saw the inside of one, was when I got those shorties a bit back here.
If one more spring flew, it was going to set a new world record for the AR toss..
Damn I just passed up a 1975 M-16 for $750.. Friend in town here..
I did not want it, to many bad memories. But I should have grabbed it for you or the guys and done and FFL exchange. My bad, sorry..

#25 ·
I have two of these A! uppers, one I use as a hog rifle and the other is a dedicated 22lr with a US air force conversion unit
two years ago i paid $300 at a gunshow in ft myers for the A! upper, it was sweet it came out of a armoury in the mid west, they recycled the lowers and swicthed out the uppers, I bought another A1 upper several weeks back, post event for $340 neither came with the Bolt Carrier group ( BCG) but i had extra's. The kit SG has seems worth it if you can find a pencil barrel, I see them for a fair price on Ar-15 equipment exchange under used parts most guys are looking for the A2 & Hbar configuration barrels
you have to check there regularly cause NOTHING is staying up for sale long, but if you want or need something bad enough you will check 3-4 times a day otherwise your REALLY not interested
the triangular stocks well last fall you could give them away, now they are over $40 a pair, if you can find them WTF

I never cared for these rifles myself, a buddy had one and it freaked me out the first time I fired it, then I learned I could build my own, so I carved out a lower from a 0% DSA forging with handtools and drill press, I was hooked. Thank god I reload and have a good supply of mags as both seen to scare and expensive these days. bolts & Bolt carriers are also expensive, they were $100 plus before the EVENT now they are going for $300-$400, the SG kit comes with a bolt & carrier its almost worth buying the kit for the bolt & carrier, butt stock and handguards so I ordered one

2,000 post for me
sprat

#27 ·
With the club discount + a coupon + extra discount for using SG credit card + 4 pay plan. It won't hurt much at all. That's assuming they actually get them.

#30 ·
Well there is hope for me to get one!
Did you find new made barrels or vintage pencil barrels?

I picked a copy of my dealer friends liscense to send off to Nodak & get on a waiting list I guess.
If I buy a Nodak receiver, it looks like they have to send them somewhere's else to have markings engraved on them.

I'm not real comfortable ordering things in this panic mess. Not at all.

#32 ·
Well there is hope for me to get one!
Did you find new made barrels or vintage pencil barrels?

I picked a copy of my dealer friends liscense to send off to Nodak & get on a waiting list I guess.
If I buy a Nodak receiver, it looks like they have to send them somewhere's else to have markings engraved on them..
Here are some pics of the one I did. I had Nodak send it direct to Ident Marking in TX. I believe. It took them about 3 weeks and then they sent it to my FFL dealer. I think the engraving was around $110. I had them do the colt logo, US Property, AUTO, and if you look close, they engraved a circle to replicate the pin for the auto sear.

No, this is not full auto.. :nono:

#31 ·
well I have to correct myself, as of two days ago the pencil barrel were available after I got my confirmation the kit was coming i got on to the site to order one and low and behold they were sold out on backorder,

5.56MM

I may part this out for my friend and I always good to have extra.s

first I want to see the condition of the kit i get

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.