Building Bulgarian Milled kit on stamped

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
Received the kit 12/12/12 from Midway.
$229.00 without shipping.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/956...zines-762x39mm

Finish is excellent unissued cond.
Bakelite handguards are a color match.
All matching numbers on bolt, carrier, top cover.
no numbers on gas tube.

A few nice extras included.
The bayonet is beat up, mags are great cond.

There was one alteration to make the milled FSB work on a stamped trunnion.
I just filed away enough on the corner for clearance.

Also, the Lower milled HG has a smaller tang size.
I did some interior welding beads then filed for a perfect fit.

I sand blasted and parked everything before applying OD flat GunKote.

This is the AK-74 Bulgarian trunnion I reamed out for the 7.62 barrel.
There are a few fine tuning issues with doing this, but not that difficult.

I like how the OD plays off the marbled bakelite.

This build uses a Yugo rear UF trunnion. It allows plenty of clearance to fold
around a 30 rd mag. I welded around the butt of the trunnion for a seamless
look.

The milled UF is more elegant than the stamped variety.

The more I look at the color contrast, the more I like it.

Will shoot her tomorrow to see what it will do.
These are some terrifically nice parts in this kit.
And, my first 7.62 Bulgarian mini-frankenstein.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice build! I like the bakelite furniture. I built one with a milled kit. I never thought about milling on the RSB to fit the trunnion. It looks good that way. I milled out the trunnion to fit. Thanks for the pics. Don't see many builds posted lately.

#5 ·
Beautiful Work!!!

Hey Rahatlakhoom,
That is some beautiful work! A few years ago I got one of the single stack Bulgarian built AKs with the thumbhole stocks from CFS that had been constructed using milled parts. I had to do some work to convert her back to her original glory but the end result was great! As always your work is SUPERIOR!
will6970

#6 ·
twice in one night, yes when the first ak kits came into the country early 1990 most were milled so some of the boys (old timers) filed and/or milled the trunnion down and drilled to the trunnion so they could place the rivets, but I believe the used the screw in barrels

anyway another fine build

#7 ·
WOW! AGAIN! WOW . I'm not a folder guy, But that right there is DREAMY. My heart goes pitter patter! Heh..Heh.

Did the mag bag come with also?? Sling? Nice looking extras not mentioned in ad.

I'm about to click buy me one........

#9 ·
WOW! AGAIN! WOW . I'm not a folder guy, But that right there is DREAMY. My heart goes pitter patter! Heh..Heh.

Did the mag bag come with also?? Sling? Nice looking extras not mentioned in ad.

I'm about to click buy me one........

Thanks, Yes, it came with everything in the first photo.

This is gorgous....where did you get the front trunion? Looks like it is a bulgy trunion??
That is an AK 74 trunnion that I reamed out to fit a 7.62 barrel.

#15 ·
I have a grinder...should i avoid using the grinder and hand file?
You will need to decide that, if you know how to grind steel you can go that route to take off the bulk of it, then finish it with files. Just becareful you don't get the steel too hot, you might change the temper of the steel

Any quality file will work, I wouldn't get any of those that places like Harbor Freight sells, the quality control is very poor. Get different ones like course, medium and fine.

#17 ·
Questions?

Did you swap out or modify the 5.45 bullet guide?

I assume you used the milled Bulgy 7.62 bolt & carrier? The difference in the barrel setback into the trunnion and the bullet guide cam were no problem?

The reason I ask is the Bulgy AK74 has a long head bolt vs the shorter AK47/AKM in 7.62.
Just wondering about the bullet guide cam and the barrel setback etc.,.
All the barrel components lined up or did you have to rweork anything in terms of stacking because of the barrel setback?

thanks for the 20 questions answers., in advance.

I'm planning a sorta similar build but plan to turn the barrel down to 22mm. I have a milspec SLR95 chromelined barrel. It is AK74/AKM pattern on the FSB & GB but AK47 on the RSB so I'll turn that down to AK74 as well. I'm usng a base AK74 kit for my buid but a 7.62 bolt carrier and barrel.

#19 ·
I used the 74 bullet guide.
It's thicker, for the smaller round.
But, I ground it down to the 47 profile since there was plenty of meat on it.

I used the Bulgy 47 bolt and carrier.
There seemed to be no set-back issues.
The bolt lock-up proceeded well when head space was reached.
Otherwise, I admit, it felt a bit clunky.

Everything did align well in the end.
I was concerned about the gas block, and gas port alignment,
but, it matched up fine. The RSB has room for adjustment on the barrel
if need be. I wanted the bakelite lower to fit snug, as well as the top cover. And, it all went seamless.
The gas block, I pressed on until it was a nice snug fit, and the
gas port was right on.

My lucky day.
I would have turned my bbl down to fit the Bulgy 74 trunnion,
but, did it the other way around.
Honestly, I would suggest using a 7.62 trunnion if you have it.
I just didnt' have an extra. I stretched an '74' to a 47 orientation.
There is more work involved to make this work than you might anticipate.
So, just be aware.

#18 ·
AS FAR AS I CAN TELL YOU WOULD JUST SET THE BARREL BACK TO USE THE SHORTER 47 BOLT HEAD. I HAVE NOT DONE ONE YET BUT I HAVE A FEW 74 TRUNIONS AN WAS GOING TO USE THEM WITH BULDGY 223 BOLTS THAT ASIDE FROM THE FACE DIA ARE THE SAME AS A AKM BOLT AN IT LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED TO MILL DOWN THE BULLET GUIDE AN THE BOLT WILL ROTATE IN PROPERLY AN LOCK UP ON THE LUGS.

OBVIOUSLY THIS BUILD SHOOTS WITH A 74 TRUNION RUNNING A 47 BOLT. I KNOW THE BOLT WILL NOT CLEAR THE BULLET GUIDE AS IS I HAVE TRIED IT. THE BOTTOM OF THE BOLT BARELY HITS THE GUIDE.

LOOKING AT THE 74 GUIDE IT LOOKS LIKE ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TAKE A SANDING ROLE OR BUR AN REPLICATE THE 7.62X39 GUIDE . I SEE NO REASON TO REMOVE IT. YOU NEED TO MILL /GRIND SOME CLEARANCE FOR THE X39 MAG TO ROTATE IN JUST UNDER THE LUGS AS WELL OR YOU CAN POSSABLY CLEARANCE THE MAGS IF YOU WANT MAGS SPECIFIC TO THE GUN.

IM PLANING ON DOING ONE 74 TRUNION TO GO ON ONE OF MY 6MM BRX VARIANTS IT WILL USE A OPEND UP X39 BOLT . I HAVE LOOKED INTO OPENING UP A 74 BOLT AN NOT SURE ITS DOABLE TO A 308 WIN / .470 FACE. IT MIGHT BE DOABLE TO A .444/X39 RIM HOWEVER.

#22 ·
In theory this would require setting the barrel further back in the trunnion which in turn may impact the bolt camming off the AK74 bullet guide
AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THE LUGS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE AS A AKM TRUNION ( I HAVE MEASRED THEM FROM THE FACE OF THE TRUNION . SO IF YOU USING A AKM BOLT AN BARREL THERE IS NOT NEED TO CHANGE BARREL POSITION .

NOW IF FOR SOME REASON YOU WERE TO USE A AK 74 BOLT AN OPEND THE FACE UP TO FOR A X39 ROUND THEN A NORMAL 7.62X39 BNARREL WOULD HAVE TO BE MOVED FORWARD AN THE THE GAS TUBE WOULD BE TO SHORT THE RSB WOULD BE TWO FAR FORWARD THE GAS PSITON WOULD BE TO SHORT , THE DUST COVER WOULD NOT REACH ETC,

SO BASICALY THE TRUNIONS LUG PLACEMTN IS THE SAME AN THE BEGINING OF THE BULLET GUIDE RASMP TO START THE BOLT TO TURN IS ALSO IN THE SAME SPOT.

THE ANGLE OF THE RAMP MIGHT BE DIFFERANT I CANT TELL BUT IT DOSENT MATTER. THE CARRIER SLOTS ARE WHAT ACTALLY ROTATE THE BOLT IN THE FINAL WAY AN LOCK IT INTO THE LUGS.

THE PLACEMNT OF THE LUG IN THE TRUNION WERE THE MAG HANGS ON IS ABOUT THE SAME JUDGING FORM A 74 TRUNION AN A 47 TRUNION WITH A ROD THROUGH THE RIVET HOLES TO ALLOW ME TO JUDGE WERE THEY WOULD BE IN THE RECIVER ,

THERE IS THE NOTED DIFFERANCES IN THE WIDTHS OF THE TRUNION WERE THE MAG FITS AN THEY WILL NEED TO BE MILLED OR GROUND TO MATCH A 47 TRUNIION.

THE ONE THING MANY PEOLE HAVE NOT NOTICED IS THE AREA WERE THE BULLET PASSES THROUGH BETWEEN THE THE LUGS IS DIFFERASNT . THE 74 TRUNION IS A LITTLE WIDER BETWEEN THE LUGS THAN A 47 . IM COMPARING A AMD A YUGO 47 TRUNION AN A BULGY 74 TRUNION . THE DIFFERANCE IS SLIGHT BUT ITS WORTH MENTIONING. THE BOLTS LUG WIDTH IS CLOSE ENOUGH TO CALL THEM THE SAME.

THERE IS OF COUSE THE DIFFERANT BARREL SHANK SIZES 47 IS 23 AN 74 IS 22 MMM

SO BASICALY IT WHEN YOU USE A 74 BOLT ON A NONE 5.45 BARREL YOU WOULD HAVE ISSUES . SINCE THE BOLT FACE IS TO SMALL FOR A 7.62X39 CASE ITS NOT A REAL CONCERN TO MOST .

WERE THINGS COULD BE OF CONCERN IS WERE A GUY WOULD TRY TO USE A 223 BARREL DESIGEND FOR A STANDARD LENGTH BOLT HEAD ON A 5.45 BOLT. THAT WOUKD REQURE THE BARREL TO BE SET FORWARD.

I ACTUALY LIKE THE IDEA OF A LITTLE MORE ROOM FROM THE EDGE OF THE BULLET GUIDE TO A THE BREACH FACE ON A 223 AS IT ALLOWS THE BULLET TIP TO CLIMB HIGHER WHEN FEED IN TO MAKE SURE IT GETS INTOT HE CHAMBER.

IN MY EXPERIANCE 223,S ON A BULGY BOLT IN A ROMMY TRUNION CAN BE HARD TO FEED AS THEY HIT THE BREACH FACE. MY VARMINT RIFLE DOES NOT LIKE HOLLOW POINTS MUCH AN IT WAS A BIT OF A CHALLANGE TO GET TI TO FEED RIGHT EVEN WITH A BULGY 223 GUIDE.

MY WEIGER CLONE THAT IS BASICAY A ROMMY SAR 223 BOLT AN TRUNION THAT USES A BUKLLET GUDE VERY SIMUAR TO A 5.45 AN A BOLT THAT HAS A SMALL STEM AN 74 STYLE EXTRACTER FEEDS MUCH BETTER . I NEED TO CHECK THE BOLT HEAD LENGTH AN SEE IF ITS THE SAME AS 47 OR 74. WHEN I MADE HEBARREL I JUST PRESSED IT IN UNTILL THE HEAD SPACE WAS COORECT AN PINNED IT AN POPULATED THE BARREL AS NEED TO FIT THE GAS TUBE AN HAND GUARD ANTHEN DRILLED THE PORT AS NEEDED I WAS NOT MARRIED TO A READY MADE BARREL.

#23 ·
Maybe we are saying the same thing but I cannot follow your post.

The AKM 7.62 bolt has shorter lugs (not the trunnion) than the AK74 bolt. This entails moving the barrel further back into the trunnion by 3mm to attain headspace. IIRC.

This in turn can affect the component stacking if the gas port is pre drilled as it will "push" the relative spacing of the gas tube to the rear as well as the rear sight block and then the receiver cover mating to the RSB and RSB to trunnion.
Also it impacts the location of the left side cam on the bullet guide as the barrel is now further to the rear and I do not know the cam setback vs an AKM.

The other concern was the use of the bullet guide to actually assist the feed. This sounds like a non issue.

The mag lock up I think I can manage by milling the lower trunnion magazine lug mating area with no problem.

#24 ·
Yep, just mill, or grind out the magwell area to accept the wider 7.62 mags.
I would suggest riveting this area after the milling, otherwise you end up removing
too much squashed rivet butt right on that bottom rivet hole.

I actually had a virgin barrel, as I remember. So, there is no critical placements to
be met as would be with a used barrel.
I did drill the gas port after all the furnishings were set in place, etc.
So, this is fairly critical, since the barrel chamber will be set back further
for the shorter bolt lugs.

Nice job on your rifle blue, I like it.

#25 · (Edited)
Thank you., I like that rifle too and a nice shooter.
The Bulgarian SLR95 barrels are nice candidates for builds but they are a bit odd as they have a milled RSB journal and an AK74 gas port 90 degree placement setback and a standard AKM/AK74 front journal with no threads.

They are really late generatiion barrels the Bulgarians use on their milled production rifles. But they are not standard to other countries or builds as a result. But make nice 100 series type builds.
I hope to get along with this build soon but have several others in front of it. Thanks again.., I think I have it "figgered out".

#27 ·
Maybe we are saying the same thing but I cannot follow your post.
the trunions lug placement is the same CORRECT . if you use a akm 47 barrel an bolt you just run the barrel as is If you open up the trunnion . yes it will be further back than a 74 barrel but it wont matter .

If you have all akm 47 parts besides the trunion the only real mod would be to open the trunion bore or turn the barrel an fit the truniuon for the wider mag .

were likely saying the same thing.

if you were to try to modify a 74 bolt to work in 7.62x39 buy opening up the face you would have to then set the barrel forward to work with the longer bolt an thatr woud throw off everthing.

SORRY TO CONFUSE YOUR THREAD OR GO INTO STUFF NOT REALIVANT .

IF THE ASSULT BAN PASSES ILL LIKELY BE STICKING SEVERAL MILLED M70 KITS ON BULGY 74 TRUNIONS IN A HURRY SO I CAN GET THEM ON RECIVERS .

#28 ·
Now this is what I do love about the AK Series of Rifles, especially as it relates to home builds. You can in fact do a lot of Mix 'n Match, and come out with a top quality product. I just want to see how it shoots.

As most of you probably already know, I like Milled better than stamped. But I find that 1.6mm is just about as good as the best milled out there.

We are all fortunate to have the membership that we do, where new ideas, methods, procedures, and results are so openly shared, and the spirit is very cordial.

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. And I want to thank all of the contributors for their part in it. And, for the OP: Really nice work. That is the absolute epitome of a SHTF rifle if I ever saw one, and to be fair, I would pay $750 (Pre-Obama-Freakout price) for 10 of those (read $750X10=$7500).

Keep up the good work. And please keep posting. This is like candy to an old fart like me.

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.