Gunco Forums banner

Look to build .45 AR-15

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mad-Machinist 
#1 ·
Need help to build .45 ACP ar-15, where to find parts , like use cheap easy to find mags

#5 ·
cheap and easy to find mags? --man your a day late on that one.

i have considered doing a 45ACP ar-15 carbine for the longest time but i keep getting side tracked.

you could use tompson or grease gun mags -or possibly UZI 45 mags. open up one of those plastic pro-mag blocks for the bigger mag?? or cut one out of a 0% and make the mag well for the mag your going to run.

you could do a DI gas and run an opened up 7.62x39 bolt. that would save a lot of buffer weight and still keep reasonable bolt carrier speed.

Mad machinist is they guy you want to talk to.
i though about doing a 40 S&W /10mm/ 357 sig the same way

the 40 is still on the back burner cause i can still get 40 ammo for semi-reasonable money. it would take UZI 9mm mags --but now their scarce and expansive too--

right now ammo and mags are a problem for about any build--

#6 ·
The day that has finally rolled around is why I assembled several 9mm AR15s. I have four of them now. When UZI mags were so easy to come by, I machined a pile of them out in the machine shop in the LAB.

Now these things are something that can make a pistol round act like a rifle round. And, with a bit more capability.

My capability up to 100 yards is quite good with these things. I don't have to dump my high powered stuff trying to manage close up problems. Most effective power for closer range work like the Germans developed with the MP40. But, a bit better accuracy in an Ar15 structure.

If I were you, I would look at Rock River Arms. They just might have some 9mm, AR15 parts left to assemble you a proven system?

#7 ·
Here is a link to quite a few pictures:
Just Right Carbines - Google Search
Here is the .45 for sale:
Just Right Carbine 45 ACP
There are some people online who had feeding issues. If you tweak the magazine springs per Just Rights instructions it feeds great. All you need to do is bend the rear of the top coil up so the follower pushes up more on the rear of the brass.
http://www.justrightcarbines.com/uploads/Glock_Magazine_Spring_Modification.pdf
Mine feeds all the .45 ammo I have tried through it from 185 to 230 grain bullets. Round nose, semi wad cutter or flat point all go bang.

#8 ·
Here is info on the CNCGunsmithing AR-45 build.
They used an Olympic Arms upper, and custom lower.
http://www.cncguns.com/projects/AR45lower.html

The lower uses Grease gun mags, and is wider than a stock one due to the width of the grease gun double stack mag. Looks awesome.
The 100% receiver is avail. for $412 (see info at the end of the above link)

#10 ·
you might try to locate mad machinist over at

Beyond556.com - Beyond556.com

they still do a lot of pistol cal builds there--
Or just give me a shout here.....I mainly hang out at weaponsguild.....but I try and check in here at least once a day......

And the .45 Promag Uzi mags feed 40 S&W beautifully....just pinch the feed lips in....I make a simple magwell adaptor out of a laser cut flat and a couple of pieces of aluminum.

I'm also working on a new series of blowback designs......that some of you might find exceptionally cool ......that is all I can say till I have a working prototype to show......

#12 ·
this is the lower i used for my ar45

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR45

after doing a little digging i found some grease gun mags that look like thy're still in stock

Search | Numrich Gun Parts

i bought 10 from here back in 2011 still wrapped up in paper and some cosmo on em. after cooking em they all run flawlessly.

they were a little cheaper $32 in the wrap back then to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.