Gunco Forums banner

VEPR or SAIGA?

15K views 92 replies 34 participants last post by  STGUSN 
#1 ·
That's the question. Both look good. I have a Saiga but am considering a VEPR conversion as well after my other gun "needs" and "wants" are satisfied.

I have seen a few Saiga conversions that look good like the Tromix version. May be in the market in the next few months.

Opinions, Experiences, etc. - any owners here?

#57 ·
I like both of them. I think that anybody would be happy with either. I have a Mossberg 500 combination, that is, 2 barrels, one is 18.5 inches long for home defense and the other is 28 inches long for hunting.
One thing I have heard is- The Police in America favor the Remington but America's military uses tons of Mossbergs. I don't think that there is a lot of difference between them. I'll take either or both (if I get the chance).

#63 ·
Simple, use a piece of square stock,, 1/2,, 3/4"long or so, where milled,, ball mill to match profile,, , clamp the barrels lightly, add heat sink paste 1-2 " or so from the end of the plug/barrel, and put a new long shank bead sight in after drilling the hole in the plug when it's in place and solder with a old time large iron that you heat up with a torch and solder everything in place and block/stone flat,,, finish,,,,,done.

If you want to be real tricky,, undersized it by about 3-4 thousands,, brass shim the block tight and even on all 4 sides,, push the brass shims in a 1/4 " or so and fill the void with silver solder,,,, makes a dandy silver hourglass pattern when refinished,,,,,,

which will be last thing the,, perps,, will see just before ,,,, "THERE TIMES UP ",,,,,:scared: :lol: :lol:

#67 ·
I did this to my winchester 97. It was only a single barrel. After I cut off the barrel, I rigged a motor with a DA pad. Then I began using 180 grit paper, finishing with 600 grit DA paper. That makes almost a mirror finish. I would do this first because solder plugs up the paper. I would do like prototye said with the steel insert, because lead doesn't blue. Make the insert tight. The soldier will wick between it and the barrel. I blued my 97 with Birchwood Casey cold blue and it worked great.

#68 ·
I did this to my winchester 97. It was only a single barrel. After I cut off the barrel, I rigged a motor with a DA pad. Then I began using 180 grit paper, finishing with 600 grit DA paper. That makes almost a mirror finish. I would do this first because solder plugs up the paper. I would do like prototye said with the steel insert, because lead doesn't blue. Make the insert tight. The soldier will wick between it and the barrel. I blued my 97 with Birchwood Casey cold blue and it worked great.

#69 ·
Rem 870 vs Mossy 500?

Which do you like...
10 million + buyers like the Remington 870.

The Mossberg 500 and its Maverick clones are extremely popular.

Having both and enjoying each for its own simple durability. Wondering how others feel about these common shotguns...

#70 ·
A Coach Gun for self defense

I would like to have a couple of "Coach Guns." These are copies of the old short double barreled shotguns carried by stage coach guards in the old west. I think that having one of these beside the bed would be great! Two barrels of double ought buck should do the trick.
But, I would want the kind that have visible hammers that you would have to manually cock. I think it would be safer. I just don't think that a hammerless model would be that safe.
J&G sales has exposed hammers Coach Guns in their current (3-4-2013) ad in Shotgun News. It comes with double triggers. It is available in 12 and 20 gauge (make mine 12, thank you). But, it is sold by Century. So, I don't know what the quality would be like. I would want to be able to handle one and give it a visual inspection before I bought it.
The price is not bad-$259.95 plus shipping and a fee for a local FFL dealer receiving it for you.
And, who knows? I may find a similar Coach Gun in a local gun store one of these days. If so, I'll check it out and ???

#74 ·
Think my coach gun was a Norinco exposed hammer double .12..
Price was right like $250 so I said what the hell and grabbed it..
Myself and a Bro took it too the range for a test run.. He went first..
Bang. He dropped to the ground screaming in pain.. I said what a candy ass, give me that damn thing... Bang.
I dropped the damn thing and fell too the ground screaming in pain...
Both our shoulder replacements are scheduled for June sometime..
Before you buy, find the biggest guy you know and have him smash your shoulder with a sledge hammer.. If that does not bother you, your good to go.
I gave it to my Marine Bro.. He likes it, so I guess it was just us..

#75 ·
If your FFL doesn't have one in stock for you to look over, you better do a search on the net for all the info you can, I seen one of these at my local shop and it didn't seem like the hammers were made or attached very well. I wouldn't have bought it

#76 ·
870 is the way to go. I think 500s are good shotguns I just have a personal preference. I like the weight, modularity, and track record of the 870. That's just me though.

#77 ·
I say go pump gun. I like coach guns and the wife wants one to go shooting with, but that's about it. For an HD gun you should not limit yourself to a Joe Biden sized ammo capacity.

#79 ·
if the gun is for "real" use get a pump action. the double stove pipe guns -- the cheap ones are problem prone.

some double fire --instead of firing one tube, others discharge if their dropped, some slip off half cock and discharge. i have seen quite a few of them that had very soft metal and many break open when firing even one tube--

a lot of folks buy them to tinker with or use as wall hangers.

there is a reason good double guns cost real money --and it ain't just for the name.

a poorly made iron ain't worth much , that the reason their dumped on the market so inexpensively.

a cheap pump actions are free of most of these issues and if a problem comes up it is easy to fix compared to the double gun.

#82 ·
Stoeger.... Enough said... The best bang for your buck... But I will still say get a pump gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.