Gunco Forums banner

Let's Give up on the Constitution

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  hunter_02 
#1 ·
Had to hold my vomit after reading this...

CBS Runs Segment Called 'Let's Give Up On The Constitution'

From Georgetown law professor Louis Michael Seidman:

I've got a simple idea: Let's give up on the Constitution. I know, it sounds radical, but it's really not. Constitutional disobedience is as American as apple pie. For example, most of our greatest Presidents -- Jefferson, Lincoln, Wilson, and both Roosevelts -- had doubts about the Constitution, and many of them disobeyed it when it got in their way.

To be clear, I don't think we should give up on everything in the Constitution. The Constitution has many important and inspiring provisions, but we should obey these because they are important and inspiring, not because a bunch of people who are now long-dead favored them two centuries ago. Unfortunately, the Constitution also contains some provisions that are not so inspiring. For example, one allows a presidential candidate who is rejected by a majority of the American people to assume office. Suppose that Barack Obama really wasn't a natural-born citizen. So what? Constitutional obedience has a pernicious impact on our political culture. Take the recent debate about gun control. None of my friends can believe it, but I happen to be skeptical of most forms of gun control. I understand, though, that's not everyone's view, and I'm eager to talk with people who disagree.

But what happens when the issue gets Constitutional-ized? Then we turn the question over to lawyers, and lawyers do with it what lawyers do. So instead of talking about whether gun control makes sense in our country, we talk about what people thought of it two centuries ago. Worse yet, talking about gun control in terms of constitutional obligation needlessly raises the temperature of political discussion. Instead of a question on policy, about which reasonable people can disagree, it becomes a test of one's commitment to our foundational document and, so, to America itself.

This is our country. We live in it, and we have a right to the kind of country we want. We would not allow the French or the United Nations to rule us, and neither should we allow people who died over two centuries ago and knew nothing of our country as it exists today. If we are to take back our own country, we have to start making decisions for ourselves, and stop deferring to an ancient and outdated document.

Hey that's a great idea keep perpetuating the idea that if we disregard rules long enough we can just call them archaic and do away with them. Good example of the "Educated Elite" trying to impart their wisom gained in books as opposed to experiance on the rest of us. I have a better idea how about we go back to the Constitution and give that another try because it was pretty successful.

See less See more
#3 ·
i suggest hanging those that say "disregard the constitution of the united states" for treason and sedition.

the constitution is the law of the land.

if it ain't this is not the united states of america.

gorgetown law is a very left leaning bunch maybe they should ALL be disbarred for even suggesting such communist tripe ??

whoever is saying we should disregard the constitution is in effect calling for treason.

no other country on earth would allow such BS to be spewed by the media.

anywhere else there would be hell to pay.

they should go to saudi or iran and start 'suggesting" shit--IMHO.

#10 ·
The Bill Of Rights are a part of the Constitution, but I know what you mean and agree. One thing people don't understand is the Bill of Rights were not established to tell me what I am allowed to do it was established to tell the Government what they are not allowed to take away from me.

The politically supported teachers unions have been working for years to make sure our children don't understand that so the younger generations will never miss what they never had but was actually theirs from the beginning.

It's truly sickening thinking when you send your kids off to college for a higher education they get this crap shoved down their throats and are failed by professors if they don't march lockstep with their beliefs.

#12 ·
Absolutely disgusting. Not only should he be tried for sedition/treason, or whatever, but it should be broadcast on all channels. Set an example with him. I know that the First Amendment gives him the right to speak of that which he doesn't understand, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.