Gunco Forums banner

Ruger's 10/22

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I know that this thread is for the Mini-14. But, I can't find another place for it and I'd like to write a little about Ruger's 10/22. Having a couple of Minis, I desired to find a more economical way to practice. I decided to obtain a 10/22. Both guns are semi auto. I have hi-cap mags for both. I figure that the 10/22 would be great to practice with because you are building "muscle memory" for it and the Mini at the same time. And, the .22LR is more economical (I hate the word "Cheaper") to shoot.
The 10/22 is probably the most popular gun sold in America today. You can often find them for less than $200. (At least you could before the current buying frenzy hit). The 10/22 is a very dependable firearm. There is a plethora (I like that word) of after-market products available for it. ATI Gunstocks makes a great looking kit with a folding stock with an M4 type of adjustment for this rifle. They make a similar one for the Mini-14 which I want to get. That way the 2 different guns would have similar handling qualities. You can buy all kinds of stocks, barrels and I don't know what all for the 10/22.
I think everybody should have one. I sure like mine.

#2 ·
Like any Ruger product the 10/22 is a excellent gun and a great value!

When you consider all the options and variants available. You cant find more bang for the buck!

#3 ·
True enough! I think everybody should have one, especially if you are able to get good 25 round magazines for it. It is a great gun to practice with. Appleseed shooters use them for experience. They are good quality and come at good prices (at least before the current buying frenzy). I'm sure glad I have mine.

#4 ·
Yeap got to agree, great gun for the price (regular price, not the panic one) and there is everything you can think of available for them.
I bought one back in 92 or 93 and it still shoots as good as it did when I took it out of the box

#5 ·
I've had the same 10/22 since my father bought it for me when I was about 10.
A great Christmas gift, one that has lasted me and given me excellent service. Love the gun, and the new BX-25 magazines are something 10/22 enthusiasts have longed for for a long time - a decent, 25 round mag that feeds and just WORKS.
Best thing Ruger ever did for the 10/22. :)

#6 ·
I got my first one used for $99. Thousands of gophers have met their doom as a result. Back then you could buy a brick (900) of 22LR for $10.

In 2004 I picked up a Butler Creek bull barrel and stock from a sporting goods store that was going out of business. Paid $59.

My latest 10/22 project was a scratch build. Still need to get it anodized to give it some durability. Got all my parts from Midway USA.

Mig welded the aluminum together.

Attachments

#10 ·
The 10/22 I bought has a synthetic stock. I prefer to put slings on all of my rifles. So, I bought an Uncle Mike's Sling Swivel kit that was designated for the 10/22.
Now, I have often installed slings on rifles with wood stocks, so, I followed the same procedure with this rifle. The front swivel mounts to the band that holds stock and rifle together. However, when I installed it, the band was too loose and would slide right off, unable to hold the gun together. So, I used a file on the band to correct that problem. So far, so good.
The screw for the butt-stock is a pointed wood screw. The instructions said to drill a hole in the stock and thread it in. The problem is, the stock is a shallow shell without much "meat" to hold the screw. I placed the screw into the hole to hold it temporarily, but, I do not think that it will hold up for very much rough handling.
So, I gotta do something else. I am thinking of trying to find a dry wall (sheet-rock) anchor that will hopefully pull down flat enough to use. Even If I have to put a washer on the outside to help tighten the anchor, I could do that. If I don't find some way to do this, I'll replace the stock. Or, do some of you out there have better suggestions than mine?

#11 ·
If I understand your issue correctly, what you can do is use some kids clay to make a dam, and fill the dam with Epoxy to fill in the area around the screw and give it better purchase. I did a cheap plastic stock like that, and it is still working now after 15 years.

Ask questions if that is not clear. Oh, and add some aluminum filings for strength.

#12 ·
This weekend, I put the RUGER 10-22 up into the safe room. Got two BX-25 mags for it several month back. Plus two 10 rnd mags stock too.

A SUPER performer!

Had this one almost 30 years.

Ruger 10-22 and, PC9 is what it would take to survive anything.

#14 · (Edited)
I just found and purchased a genuine Ruger BX-25 25 round magazine at my favorite gun store (Bi-Mart, a northwest department store chain). The cost is 27.85, exactly the same as it was before the current buying panic hit! I'm kicking myself for not buying another. I think I will if they have any left.
I haven't used it yet as I bought it today, but, I will before too long and I'll let you know what I learn about it.

#15 ·
I just found and purchased a genuine Ruger BX-@% 25 round magazine at my favorite gun store (Bi-Mart, a northwest department store chain). The cost is 27.85, exactly the same as it was before the current buying panic hit! I'm kicking myself for not buying another. I think I will if they have any left.
I haven't used it yet as I bought it today, but, I will before too long and I'll let you know what I learn about it.

#18 ·
I have five of them . two are trickd out with heavy barrels an laminated thumbhole stocks . one is a factroy heavy barrel target model an I doubt a marlin will out shoot it .
one has a pink painted stock with clear coat an a barbie decal a mag release extension an barrel shroud . the other is bone stock.

i got tow of the rugger 25 round mags the day of the school shooting an I havent tried them yet . Im hoping for good stuff .

#19 ·
I have five of them . two are trickd out with heavy barrels an laminated thumbhole stocks . one is a factroy heavy barrel target model an I doubt a marlin will out shoot it .
one has a pink painted stock with clear coat an a barbie decal a mag release extension an barrel shroud . the other is bone stock.

i got tow of the rugger 25 round mags the day of the school shooting an I havent tried them yet . Im hoping for good stuff .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.