Gunco Forums banner

What's your survival handgun?

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  dario541 
#1 ·
I have written about various rifles that I like for survival purposes. But, what about handguns? So, I want to give my views on that subject if I may? I personally consider the handgun a secondary weapon. But, having one is essential. So, after more than 50 years experience, what are my opinions? We won’t discuss whether a revolver or semi auto is better. I have my thoughts on that subject and may write about it one of these days.
We need different handguns for different needs- working and defense. .
For a working gun I believe that everybody should have a quality revolver in .357 Magnum. This is a versatile gun that can also fire .38 Special. My personal .357 is a Ruger Police Service Six. It has been my constant companion since I purchased it around 1978. It is tough and has never given me a problem. And, I can hit the broad side of a barn with it! This does not mean that a .44 Magnum wouldn’t be desirable-it is! But I believe a .357 is first choice. There is a large range of ammo for it and you can also shoot .38 Special in it. A good all-around caliber.
For tactical use, a good semi auto may be better because it holds more ammo. However, more ammo doesn’t mean much if you don’t hit what you shoot at. It has been said that a hit with a BB gun beats a miss with a cannon! My go to semi auto is a Ruger Model P95 in 9MM. I was looking for a good semi auto in .45 Auto but this P95 kind of fell into my lap. I have done a study on ammo and have purchased several boxes of Hornady’s Critical Defense cartridges for close up self defense. This Hornady product seems to raise the 9MM to a whole new level. And, someday I still would like to own a .40 S&W or a .45 Auto. But, the more calibers you have, the more ammo you need. I believe I would rather have 1,000 rounds of one caliber than 350 rounds each of three different calibers.
So, for me at this time, it's 9MM and .357 Magnum.

See less See more
#2 ·
you should see the poll i did a few years ago about handguns--

the 357 mag wheel-gun came in a reasonably close second to the 45acp.

everybody was sort of shocked the 357mag did so well in our little informal poll.

nothing wrong with a 357 as a carry piece IMHO, if i go back to a carry wheel-gun that is probably what it will be.

#7 ·
I'm going against the grain here, but I say my Glock 19. Reliability plus ammo availability. Police and Military (including many foriegn Militaries) use 9mm. I carry it every day and carry two 15 round Magazines wiith Hornady Critical Duty which have better terminal balistics than 45 ball, plus I have two Glock 33 rounders in the car. Just in case I need to get back to my stash. But my choice revolves around ammo availability and Magazine Capacity. I hit what I am aiming at I just prefer the option to hit it more times if needed.

My dad is a 45 guy but I try to keep an open mind to calibers becasue none of them make a person turn into a puff of smoke so after trying different calibers I decided to stick with the 9mm. YMMV

#9 ·
It's funny I was sitting here thinking to myself last night after reading this topic that assuming I had the right long gun I would choose a .22lr pistol. I hadn't considered the .22 magnum. Either way the long gun would be both a protection and hunting weapon and the .22 a utility weapon, small game hunting and self defense up close if need be. The greatest advantage is the ability to carry a ton of rounds, perhaps a couple thousand, versus maybe a couple hundred of a centerfire pistol.

#12 ·
I think that the Kel Tec PMR30 would be a terrific survival hand gun. It comes with a 30 shot magazine. But, around her you have to get on a list and wait! And, with the criminal activity that is going on in Washington, DC (District of Criminals) it may soon be impossible to obtain one. But, having 30 rounds of .22 Magnum would make this gun a terrific product to have! I* want one!

#13 ·
I actually have three go to emergency weapons, I have a flare gun that I converted to a .50 cal Blackpowder ss with tac light and laser, which I have a conformation letter from atf to build. that also turns into a rifle also a .50 and I even secured permission to use a sholder stock on it which does not classify the weapon as a an AOW this is an all purpose firearm, and the very same weapon can be turned into a 410/45 LC or ss long rifle but with those forget the sholder stock on a pistol that fires modern rounds. that is my next project letter to the ATF. and I did not have to send in a sample,I submitted all my drawings and parts etc and how and what for the weapon would be used for. I received my letter back with in 6-8 weeks which is about is about right under normal circumstances. If anyone needs sone help with submission plans to atf for a build Im more than willing to help you with your letters so the process is easier espically with the situaton that we now face over firearms, So if you need any help just drop me a pm and we can see what we can do....Doc

#16 ·
--9mm? better than a 45acp?--i donna know bout that one???

all the mall ninjas went 9mm cause they held more rounds and the ammo was half the price.

i was there when they DOD switched from the 45 to the 9mm. not everybody was happy with it --even right out the gate.

to me it all ways seemed the 9s held twice the ammo because they were about half as effective.

now in a SMG it don't look quite so bad, the extra barrel it picks up a few FPS velocity and to get those extra hits required you just hold the trigger a hair longer---LOL!

even HK cranked out quite a few 40,45, and even 10mm mp5s--

ask HK though 9mm is da shitz--LOL!

yea i got 9mms and i use 9mms--mainly for practical reasons rather than tactical reasons.

i think the DOD liked the 9mm cause it was half the weight and size of 45 acp--takes up less space and weighs half as much= cost far less to transport half way around the globe.

effectiveness or lack there of was not even considered by the DOD. and besides there was a cool factor of having 15 rounds in your iron!--

the day has come that which round or even how effective it is is more of a side note --all that is required is that the round be effective enough and you got plenty of them--

that is ammo 2013!

#19 ·
i think the DOD liked the 9mm cause it was half the weight and size of 45 acp--takes up less space and weighs half as much= cost far less to transport half way around the globe.

effectiveness or lack there of was not even considered by the DOD. and besides there was a cool factor of having 15 rounds in your iron!--

the day has come that which round or even how effective it is is more of a side note --all that is required is that the round be effective enough and you got plenty of them--

that is ammo 2013!

The US went with 9mm in general issue handguns because that is the standard NATO caliber, not .45. We used the 1911 as long as the original guns were serviceable, but by the 1980s two world wars, a few smaller police actions, and countless rounds fired in training took their toll and the guns in inventory were worn out. STANAG required we adopt a 9mm, so we did. Same reason all the former Warsaw Pact nations who joined NATO have begun replacing their X39 guns with .223/5.56 models.

As for my survival handgun, depends on how ya define survival. Working out of a fixed or mobile base location with resupply, probably my Steyr GB or a 1911 depending on circumstances. On foot with only the supplies you can fit in a backpack, my Ruger MKII and a few thousand rounds of ammo to supply it and my Marlin 39 rifle.

#20 ·
Well Although I would love. 45 as a duty carry in the field, we are talking about ball ammo. Of course. 45 ball would outperform the 9mm ball, but in the civilian world we aren't limited to NATO requirements and the performance I have seen from Corbon, Hornady, and Gold Dot regarding 9mm is nothing short of impresive. My favorite calibers in pistols are 9mm, .40 cal, .45, and. 357 Sig, bt as a survival gun I want the caliber that is being used by the majority of militaries and police agencies.

#21 ·
I currently have a modern American made 9MM that uses 15 round magazines. I like it. It always has worked. So far I have had no problems with it. For serious work I load it with Hornady Critical defense loads. I feel that these are superior to ball ammo for defensive actions. Ball is good to practice with.
Actually, I was looking for a good .45 auto. I told a man I know about it. He had this 9MM and made me an offer that I just could not pass up. So, that's why I have a 9MM. But, if a 40 S&W or 45 Auto ever come my way, I will grab either of them and run. I just hope that ammo will be available for them soon.

#23 ·
As far as knock down and stay power in a handgun, for close up contact anygun will do in a pinch. But at a 20 ft distance or a few feeet over I perfer a 40 cal and up preferable the old reliable GI 45. I used to use +P Ammo when I was working. But since Im not anymore I just use standard hollow point rounds.for the most part +P Ammunition is generally used by LEO's And others who carry a badge even some Bail Recovery Agents I know. I have a 9mm but perfer my higher cal handguns including but not limited to a 357 and 44 cals.If I ever have to use one, I want the bad guy to stay down I don't like surprises ( not even Birthday parties!) and second If I had to use deadly force, I wont use +P ammo just to play it safe I dont want to be named as a respondant in a civil trial that says I ment to kill someone. Even though the use of deadly force was investigated and labled justified, and not Homicide! There is a whole lot red tape when deadly force is used and you don't want to be caught up in it! you wind up being poor and thus a new Rich lawer is born ( no offence to any attorny's that may be on here ) ..But if ther is and one would like to take a slam dunk case malpratice case pm me ...Doc

#24 ·
I once had a genuine Colt 45 Auto. The only thing that I did not like about it was: It was chrome plated and shone like a mirror. I always said I could use it as a signal mirror. But, it always functioned correctly. But, I was young and not so smart in those days and I traded it for something-I don't remember what it was. I wish I still had it. Nowadays when I purchase or trade for a gun, I Intend to keep it the rest of my life! I seldom trade gun for gun, but, sometimes somebody wants something else that I have and offers to trade a firearm for it. I almost always say: "YES!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.