Gunco Forums banner

price check:norinco .223 underfolder

8K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
I just found a 223 norinco underfolder AK very good condition, guaranteed to function perfectly, pristine bore, $700 bucks. Worth it?

#37 ·
If it was mine I'd leave it in the original finish. I like the fact that the Norincos are blued because it makes the point that they bothered to do some metal prep when they made them.

But that's just me. It's yours now! You can do what ever you want. Get well and go shoot it.

#38 ·
Yeah, its blued. I just like the easier to care for bake on finishes. But you are right I need to leave it alone. And on the mags I found out that the norinco mags are kinda like saiga mags, the norinco uses the mag as a bullet guide. My bulgy mags work, but the bullet nose hits just below the chamber. No biggie for fmj, it has a bevel below the chamber, but soft point bullets get there noses banged up.

#39 ·
Ok, your stuck inside with the flu so you're jacking live rounds through an Ak in the living room.
I do that too. In fact it doesn't even bother my wife. But I don't want her to do it.lol

How can you tell a Norinco mag apart from the rest? Is there a star on them or something?

#40 ·
The Chinese Norinco .223 mags are flatback and are blued. Polytech mags differ a bit in configuration and often to not interchange without mod..
5.56/.223 AK mags tend to be proprietary and often do not intercgange. Weiger, Romanian, Chinese etc. Bulgarian waffle 5.56 will work in a type 84 with a bit of fitting.

#42 ·
Finally got to bust off a few rounds yesterday. I am impressed by this Chin gun. 100 yrd hits on a 6" steel target were easy. When I went down range I saw most of my shots were clustered in a 3" area. This was shooting from the bench with no support exept my elbows. BTW, Clinton sucks! Why should us law abiding citizens be denied inexpensive, great shooting rifles like these?

#46 ·
I am working on putting a feedramp on a weiger mag so it will work. The front part of the magwell is too narrow, so I had to thin the front sides of the mag (its beefed up there, so I got it to where it would almost go in). Then I slightly opened up the front of the magwell. It popped right in like it was born there. Now I'm gonna cut a small peice of steel and tack weld it into the front of the mag. Should work well.

#47 ·
So I got it done and it works perfectly.1st is weiger with a small peice of steel welded to the front top. It looks slanted but its not, the light makes it look off. 2nd is norinco mag. 3rd is ak mag to show the notch that I welded up on the weiger.

Attachments

#49 ·
great job on the mod, those mags are going for $50 plus now not $15 when i bought a sh*t load. it is almost worth buying the real thing they are running about $50 to 90 a piece. Wondering would polish beryls work they are cheaper or the Yugo mags they are also cheaper and of course the apex galil mags can be modifed cheaply

#51 ·
well this much I can say the beryls are much narrower than the Wiegers in the front top
the beryls are 7.05.5 to 706
the romanian 10rds I have are the same as the wieger 8.06
the ar -15 mags are the same as they fit in renegades adapter in wieger style trunnions

what front dimensions I don't have are the yugo and galil, this will tell whether thay work in narrow inside trunnion and the wider weiger trunnions

to the genral membership
so if you have yugo & galil 223 mags, please measure them with a caliper( the area that locks into the trunnion)

#52 ·
In my fitment experiences with 5.56 mags/AK variants.
Yugo M85/90/95 mags are AKM pattern and .850" at the front area.

Yugo M85/90/95 - will accept and cycle Weigers, Chinese, Romanian and Bulgarian waffle (tight) mags.
Chinese type 84- will not accept Weiger or Romanian or Yugo or Bulgarian
Romanian Md97- will not accept Chinese, or Yugo or Bulgarian

Modifications aside of course.

#55 ·
In my fitment experiences with 5.56 mags/AK variants.
Yugo M85/90/95 mags are AKM pattern and .850" at the front area.

Yugo M85/90/95 - will accept and cycle Weigers, Chinese, Romanian and Bulgarian waffle (tight) mags.

wide gap under the bullet guide between the rivets

Chinese type 84- will not accept Weiger or Romanian or Yugo or Bulgarian

narrow gap under bullet guide between the rivets

Romanian Md97- will not accept Chinese, or Yugo or Bulgarian

Narrow gap under bullet guide between the rivets

Modifications aside of course.
using a Bulgy trunnion for 223 conversion will not use wieger or romanian or renegadesbucks adapter with ar-15 mags

thanks for the imput and contribution

now if we could get asome dimensions on the galil mags???

#56 ·
Are these magazines specific to the Norinco model or just. 223 that fit AK receivers? There have been 3-4 30rnd .223 AK magazines hanging on the rack at my local Dunhams(big sporting goods chain in the northeast similar to Dicks) for months. I think they are $20-25?

Worth checking out depending where you live or I would be more than happy to help out with a fellow enthusiast if they are compatible.

#59 ·
$20-25 for 223 mags is a good price but unfortunely they could be any kind of 223 mags and these 223 are not standardize as indicated by my post and akblues post above

yes Norinco 223 rifle mags are for Norinco 223 rifles, these rifles are very picky

welcome to the site and contributing also are these mags steel or plastic

#57 ·
Welcome to the forum, jim. Yeah, the Chinese norinco uses a specific mag that is no longer allowed to be imported. While some others can be made to work, like the Weiger, the norinco is really the one to use. Even the Chinese .223 Polytech brand wont fit. So its off to the races to find mags for this thing. Its really a shame, 'cause this things a real shooter.

#60 ·
Thanks guys, I need to get a few misc parts before I start my build.

They are plastic, can't remember 100% but I believe they are Magpulls.

#64 ·
I got plastic romanians here in 223, marked with a arrow inside a triangle
I also doubt for $20-25 for bulgarians or polish but I was paying $25 for berlys, bulgy 30rd mags are now $39 but they were much cheaper last years
i don't know what or where dunhams is

#66 ·
You guys are correct they were Promags...got Magpul stuck in my brain from the media fuss.

Like blue said never know when luck will strike!

Dunham's Sports

Like I said most of their stores are in the northeast but they have always had great deals on firearms/ammo(unfortunately no online sales).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.