Gunco Forums banner

Music during TEOTWAWKI

981 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dario541 
#1 ·
I would like to address a subject that I have never seen on any survival site before. It may have happened, but I have never seen it. That subject is: MUSIC!
I love music. I enjoy listening to and playing it. I have played and sung all my life. I have several musical instruments in my home. These include a piano, an electric keyboard, two guitars and banjo. In addition I play some instruments that I do not possess.
But, if SHTF, there may be no music available on my wind-up radio. I may be unable to play my cd’s, cassettes and vinyl records. So, if I have to head for the hills, what am I going to do about music?
I guess I’ll have to leave my piano behind. It took 4 men to carry it into the house! I don’t guess my electric guitar will be very functional if I have to live off of the grid. My electric keyboard won’t be of much use. So, that leaves just my acoustical guitar.
My non-electric guitar is a fine model. It is a A&L flattop made in Canada. It has a great tone and is easy to play. I have had it for about 30 years now. So, I’ll try to squeeze it in some where.
The problem is, a guitar periodically needs to have its strings replaced. I guess that means that I had better lay in a few extra sets of strings. A tuning key might break so I’ll get a couple extra.
I use a thumb pick and finger style, so I guess I had better get at least a dozen of those picks (somehow I often manage to lose them!). Some of my family members like to use flat picks so I’ll get an assortment of those, too. I’ll buy some polish to protect the finish.
Do any of you folks play? Have you given any thought to what you might do about it if SHTF? You might consider what your options are and let the rest of us know. After all, many heads are better than one!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can do pretty good with a harmonica, and I dont make folks too ill when I try to play the tin whistle. Right now I'm trying to learn the bagpipes. I have the chanter, and if I get that down, I'm gonna invest in a set of great highland bagpipes.

#4 ·
I play the 5.56, a few differant 7.62's, some 9's, a few 40's, 12's, some 7's. Hell, I play a lot of numbers when I think about it. More than I can list I guess.

#6 ·
I have a fancy electric guitar that has a lot of tones-some I like and some I don't. I have a Line six amplifier that has a lot of music styles. I also own a couple of electronic piano style keyboards. As long as I have electricity, I'm OK. But, in a grid-down situation, they are totally useless. I love my old French made piano, but, as I said: it took 4 men to carry it into the house. So, I guess that leaves me with my old A&L acoustic guitar. I don't think that I would want to live without some way to make some music. I have been playing for more than 60 years. It would be difficult to survive without making some clatter and bang!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.