Gunco Forums banner

PKM Build: Parts Question

19K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  BEAST26 
#1 ·
I have decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a semi PKM build. Looking through other threads and for parts online, I see that I am about 4 years too late on this band wagon. But hell, why not give it a shot.

Anyways, I am starting with a PKT parts kit and gathering the additional parts for a PKM build. I was wondering if anyone has any good links for PKM parts? Also, does anyone currently have any of the following parts that is willing to send critical dimensions so that I can have someone fabricate the parts. I am looking for: front sight assembly, front gas block, ammo can hanger and rear trunnion. Lastly, any suggestions on people who may be able to fab these parts?

I hope some of you experienced builders out there can help me out. I am currently in Afghanistan, so there is not a huge rush to get these things fabricated, but I would like to gather as much info as possible. Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum

Yes you are a little late, there were even kits about 5 or 6 years ago.
But I think a new small wave of builds will be coming soon, Prexis over on Weapons Guild is slowly working on replacement barrels for these, and Pryotex of TEC Tactical (on here and on WG) makes small batches of receiver blanks.

As for the parts your looking for, they are hard to find and I don't know of anyone making them. The stock mount doesn't seem too difficult to make a functioning piece.
For most of the parts, RTG use to carry them and might get more if enough people show interest. Go into the AK section and look in the lower right area.
https://www.robertrtg.com/index.html
Since your over there it would be easier to find some of these items where your at

#3 ·
Thanks Coils. I've been put on the waiting list for RTG for parts. Seems like it could be a very long wait. I knew it would be a shot in the dark but I figure someone might have the part and i could get a machinist to build it off of specs. Thanks for the other names. I have not read anything by Pyrotex on any of the threads i have checked out so far. Thanks for the lead.

I thought about trying to find some parts over here. Two issues: The first is convincing an Afghan to part with pieces of his weapon. Better luck finding a virgin prostitute. Second and probably more important, is legally shipping the parts. I think that its next to impossible to do.

#9 ·
I talked with some Afghan Uniformed Police yesterday. Going price for a PKM in Afghanistan is about $6000. Pretty hefty price, but not a bad deal compared to the $10K plus that I have seen on Gunbroker lately. If only it wasn't highly illegal to import. The hunt continues for PKM parts. It may take awhile, but at least my semi will be legal and I can spend years enjoying it rather than sitting in a jail cell.

#10 ·
yeah soon as Pryotex get this batch of receivers out i'll be doing a build tutorial on the set up with his receiver and a combined approach from the 2 of us....

we have several ideas that we are testing out and will pick the one thats easiest to duplicate for most builders.

#11 ·
yeah soon as Pryotex get this batch of receivers out i'll be doing a build tutorial on the set up with his receiver and a combined approach from the 2 of us....

we have several ideas that we are testing out and will pick the one thats easiest to duplicate for most builders.

#15 ·
heh heh... i wouldnt do that to you... you know me better than that..

this is what would be said by me:

"hey fukr, hurry the fuk up!" rotflmao

#16 ·
heh heh... i wouldnt do that to you... you know me better than that..

this is what would be said by me:

"hey fukr, hurry the fuk up!" rotflmao

#19 ·
Glad you enjoyed my pics! :)

Project Guns at one time had receiver shells that required EVERYTHING. Very labor-intensive.

VLTOR had receivers at one time. Let's call them "PKM compatible" because the upper rails were actually machined, not bent as the original.

The only semi PKM builds were based on the M60 "buffer tube" conversion and they had that butthole stock extension. Not my cup of tea, so I never jumped on the bandwagon.

We have thrown around some semi conversion build ideas that would require cutting on the bolt carrier and as such I've not been willing to pursue them until I acquire some spares. :)

The real challenge is going to be in tracking down those parts. You simply aren't going to find parts these days. Maybe contact RobertRTG and see if they can track some down. Perhaps Apex? Trying to think of who else... perhaps even Allegheny Arsenal (MG34.com)

A THOUGHT... and I must stress that I have absolutely no idea what you can / cannot do so mailing yourself a gas block may be OK, maybe not. If not, then forget this!

If you can...

You say you are "over there" so then you might consider tracking down those individual parts. If you can get your hands on a PKM, even a junked one, then you could take it to a machine shop and chop it up with a cut-off saw or belt saw (saddens the heart to even think about it!!!) and presto you have those little itty bitty parts you need! Mail them back and you're all set. Of course you can't mail yourself the "good" parts but perhaps this could help. Once again, ASSUMING you can even mail yourself little pieces like that. I would ASSUME that a rear trunion isn't going to cause any problems but who knows?

#22 ·
hcpookie i appreciate the thoughts. I have not even begun to think about how I am going to do the conversion. I guess its putting the cart before the horse mentality but I need to get home and smell the carbon and fondle the parts before I can develop a strategy. I have no shame in being a follower, so I will probably wait until someone else has an approved conversion that I think I can tackle before I go cutting up parts. Right now the focus is on gathering the pieces.

I thought about the idea of getting parts while I am over here. Honestly, its probably the most abundant source of parts I will ever find. I have to check in with our customs officer before I go trying to police up some parts. I would definitely shed a few tears if I had to cut up some barrels and guns if allowed.

My biggest problem with that course of action (if legal) are the Afghans. Although dirt poor, they barter like a champ. Its down right frustrating to try to get anything for them. We blew up some trees awhile back and the owner wanted a car in return. He took his claim up the chain of command and ended up with $10.

#24 ·
Prexis is making several flavors of barrels. One of which fits the PKT trunnion & gasblock & is PKM length & profiled for the PKM front sight.
Long long wait time.
RTG is supposed to be getting more front sights, Topcovers with rear sights, stocks, ammo cans, etc.

Bipods sometimes on Gunbroker.

#26 ·
as far as the conversion set up....

im not going to give too much away jsut yet in case i ve got to change my approach...

everytime that happens & someone says "well what about that other way"...

people here who know me or see my tutorials already know, when im done doing this it will be so simple a dog can do it. thats how all my stuff is done.

things i can tell you: there will be no "tube" out in the stock like my MarcoMar PKM has..

it WILL be hammer fired.

it will have a safety.

it will be on Pryotex receiver shell.

& my kit is a Romanian...

#27 ·
as far as the conversion set up....

im not going to give too much away jsut yet in case i ve got to change my approach...

everytime that happens & someone says "well what about that other way"...

people here who know me or see my tutorials already know, when im done doing this it will be so simple a dog can do it. thats how all my stuff is done.

things i can tell you: there will be no "tube" out in the stock like my MarcoMar PKM has..

it WILL be hammer fired.

it will have a safety.

it will be on Pryotex receiver shell.

& my kit is a Romanian...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.