Gunco Forums banner

show your Magals!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TRX 
#1 ·
I finally bought one of those Magal stocks from Blackthorne. A couple of years ago the "inventory" counter on their site said "more than 999 in stock." Now they're showing 22 left.

Panaceabeachbum built one a few years ago, and I found someone else, but other than those two, bupkis.

So, where all all the Magal buiilds? Surely there are more than two!

#4 ·
I had to go to the actual site too biggun, looks sweet!

#5 ·
It's a Micro Galil in a big plastic stock, basically. It has a normal Galil cocking handle and selector instead of the Micro's left-side bits.

I've managed to find half a dozen tiny, low-resolution pictures and variants of the same two articles; otherwise, the Magal in thin in the webiverse.

God DAMN yellow flippy thing on the bottom right corner, is there NO way to turn that crap off?

#6 ·
Thanks for the link 1biggun, I did go to their site and put magal in the search box but it just took me to the AK section, I didn't look through all the products to see if it was there.

But I do remember them being talked about before, and I don't think I've ever seen a build with one yet.

God DAMN yellow flippy thing on the bottom right corner, is there NO way to turn that crap off?
I was thinking "what the hell is he talking about?", but I seen it a few times while typing this, it's some kind of auto-save. And I doubt you can turn it off, but check the options or your profile, maybe there's something in one of those?

#7 ·
Here's some info I found:

IMI Magal

The Israeli Military industries (IMI) Magal is a modified version of the IMI Galil Micro Assault Rifle (MAR).

There are several main modification from the original Galil MAR design:

New lighter plastics stock.

full hand size guard to the pistol grip, allowing the police man to use the weapon as a club as well as reducing the risk that the weapon can be taken from the officer during a violent riot.

The Magal was design for two roles:

Replace the old M1 carbines currently used by the Israeli Civilian Guard.

Provide police units with less intimidating weapon then the M16 family of assault rifles.

The new weapon was chambered for the 0.3 caliber (same as the M1 carbine) since the Magal is supposed to be used in urban areas and the 0.3 caliber has less chance of over penetration then the more potent M16/Galil 5.56 mm round.

Originally the Magal was supposed to replace all M16 weapons used by the police, and a 4000 Magal units contract was awarded to IMI.

The first 1,000 units were supplied to the police in 1999-2000 and were massively used in the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes in the Occupied Territories. The Israeli police was unpleased to say the least by the results of the Magal. Many of them had severe firing failures due to the extremity short barrel that produced insufficient gas pressure, especially when additional barrel mounted accessories like riot control devices are in place.

Eventually in early 2001 the usage of Magal in the police was almost completely suspended and most of them were sent back to the IMI factory for improvements.

Today, the IMI continue to supply the police with remaining 3000 units. However the new weapon is only issued to the Civil Guard and to the conventional police units. The Israeli Police Special Forces units are still using the M16 family (mainly the Colt Commando and the M4) and are not due to replace them in the future with the much inferior Magal.

The Magal is fitted with 30 rounds magazine. It weights 3.5 fully loaded, is 46 cm in length with the stock folded and 70 cm with the stock fully open. It costs about 1000$ per unit and is now offered for other countries Law Enforcement agencies.

#8 ·
Found this pic:

Attachments

#10 ·
2nd thanks for the pic. Blue thats an awesome blend of AK and tacticool!

#11 ·
TRX, now that I've done a little research and figured out exactly what an original IMI Magal is, what caliber are you building it? .30 Carbine as original looks/sounds interesting. Mags and ammo should be a decent deal as well.

#12 · (Edited)
9mm blowback, using a rewelded Apex Galil receiver. I'm still reading up on the trust and Form 1 stuff.

edit: Jack Squat PPSh-41 magwell, PPSh-41 mags. The PPSh bits look more similar to the Magal ones than the Suomi bits. Several people have mentioned the PPsh mags handled 9mm with no trouble.

The most difficult/expensive part will be the folding stock. The Magal uses an uncommon variant of the Galil stock, and I might wind up having to fake that unless I can snag a deal on the right parts.

#13 ·
Form 1 and trust went out yesterday. Supposedly a 15-month processing delay now... and mine will be delayed even more, since I just discovered that when I made copies of everything I put in the envelope, I mixed up the original and copied documents. One of the original Form 1s and the citizenship certificate are on my desk, and the copies are in the mail to the ATF. <sigh> Figure another month or two after the examiner opens the packet and sees my mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.