Gunco Forums banner

Police Find Hidden Compartment in Man’s Car – So Why Was he Arrested???

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  XSapper 
#1 ·
Police Find Hidden Compartment in Man’s Car, but No Drugs or Illegal Items – So Why Was He Arrested?

Police in Lorain County, Ohio, arrested a man Wednesday after they found a hidden compartment on his vehicle. When officers opened the compartment, they found no drugs or illegal substances – yet the man was still arrested charged with a felony.

Officers were able to make the arrest under the state’s new “hidden compartment” law, which is intended to deter criminals who modify their cars to store and transport drugs or weapons.

Police initially pulled over 30-year-old Norman Gurley for speeding, but then noticed “several wires running to the back of the car,” WKYC-TV reports. The wires led the cops to a hidden compartment.

Even though a search turned up no drugs, guns or other illegal items, police were authorized to arrest him because the new law makes simply driving a “trap” car a felony. It was reportedly the first arrest made under the new law in Northeast Ohio.

“Without the hidden compartment law, we would not have had any charges on the suspect,” Lt. Michael Combs, of the State Highway Patrol, said.

Continued: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...rugs-or-illegal-items-so-why-was-he-arrested/

Black Blade: "Minority Report"? Wow, if they only knew. Guess I will most definitely stay out of the occupied Communist territories like Ohio. Only a matter of time now before they expand this to hiding places (even hidden rooms and gun safes) within a person's own home. This law is ripe for abuse. its like civil forfeiture, you don’t have to be guilty of anything for them to seize (steal) your property. God forbid you buy a used car with a "secret compartment" you didn't know about - you become a "felon" as a result.

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” - Ayn Rand

See less See more
#2 ·
My dad has always told me this country would become worst than Russia ever thought about unless we do something about it.

#3 ·
Well, Its right here "arrest under the state’s new hidden compartment law. Not sure how that will hold up in court. I BUY my car, I can do what I want. When I "C'd" my frame and Channeled my body on my 31 isnt that the same thing.

#10 ·
Pryotex yes this is really strange.. Now back in the "Cocaine Cowboy" days. I knew guys who knew guys who were running cargo from Florida too Connecticut..
They had vast hidden spaces with switches to light that vehicle up like a Marine flame thrower.. Police pulled them over, they were going to see Hiroshima in front of their eyes..
Something stinks with this new so called "Hidden Compartment Law." Their has to be more to this story.. Were they watching this guy and used the law???? as a test case to try to nail him and their timing was just off??
Good God their is hidden compartments in every vehicle.. I do not think it would stand up worth a damn in a court room..
Even if I do want to have a "Hidden Compartment" It is my personal property, who the hell says I cannot make one and place my valuables in it when traveling..
Yeah, I would take that to court in a heartbeat. People are building safe rooms, hidden in their homes everyday. Why not a vehicle, it is your property...

#4 ·
Defiantly left open to a pretty loose interpretation by whom ever investigating , and unenforceable by my way of thinking ,Pyrotex.

And , BTW,,,, What A Stupid Law. Let me get this straight now,,,,let's say

You have a Ohio carry permit and you have a lock box in your vehicle to secure your firearm when your not allowed to carry it in a particular place, and automatically your up on a felony charge should it be seen ?????? Or even if you have one for a place to secure your valuables while you go swimming at a local beach, or hiking, running ,mountain biking ,,ect,, Is that correct? How can that be enforced,,legally and on what grounds?

Am I missing something here? Or is that just a stupid law?

By the way Pyrotex,, you got a 31 that's channeled ??? PICS,,PICS!! Love me Hot Rods,,,got 2 myself. Sadly,,,DUMB ASS I AM,,, I'm considering a 36 Ford with a big block Chevy in it I saw at a show recently that's for sale relatively reasonable.
Money pits though.

BUT when ya put the hammer down,,,,and do a nice 4 wheel drift around a corner, or get the chance to put them out on a track and play,,,,it's worth every penny then !!! The OOH & Ah's at the shows and all the thumbs up while going down the road,,,,aren't to bad either,,,:thumbup1: Lets ya know you've done something right!

#5 ·
First XSapper good to see yah postin.. Your a good Man.. :salute:
O.K. I am confused here? What the hell is a hidden compartment? Now I guess I could cede some drug runner with a bunch of drugs hidden in their vehicle... Play the game, get caught, sorry bout your ruck..
But please correct me if I am wrong here. Every vehicle made has "hidden hollow space compartments."
I own a boat, trucks, motorcycle, etc. With wires running to the lights, bilge etc.. So theoretically without just cause, do I have hidden compartments????????????.
Their is hollow spaces all withing the aforementioned objects.. Can the Police arrest me for the hollow spaces????
If they find drugs, well hell put me in jail.. But something is not correct here. Arrested for hollow spaces?????????????????? For God sake, were all going too jail..

#7 ·
Yeah, I bet ya I could find hidden compartments on any vehicle!

#8 ·
Pryotex, yes, it is the same. But you're a cop. You're good to go. Unless you go to Jersey. The NJSP shoot cops too.
"Not sure it will hold up in court?" Are you kidding me? The trash presiding in court is the same trash that passed the law. And don't give me krap about the kop just doing his job and going by the law. We put that lie to bed over 60 years ago. A 'GOOD' man can not be trained badly.
Hunter

#9 ·
And don't give me krap about the kop just doing his job and going by the law. We put that lie to bed over 60 years ago. A 'GOOD' man can not be trained badly.
Hunter
Who said "just doing his job, Sure the Fuk wasnt me.
We have "traffic tickets" thrown out of court here for a non valid stop. The only humor I find in this is the rest of the Country must really be backwoods compared to GA, or we are the only ones that have "rules" to follow.

#12 ·
For a video of the news story and for what is copied and pasted below http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2013/11/20/trap-car-law/3655713/

For the first time in Northeast Ohio, state troopers made an arrest under the state's new "hidden compartment" law.

The bust happened yesterday on the turnpike in Lorain County.

They pulled over the driver for speeding, but then troopers noticed several wires running to the back of the car.

Those wires then led them directly to a hidden compartment.

Around 5 p.m. on Tuesday state troopers made the arrest under the law, which is meant to combat criminals who modify the inside of their car, allowing them to store drugs or weapons inside secret compartments, which can often only be accessed electronically.

"During the search, they noticed some components inside the vehicle that did not appear to be factory," says Lt. Michael Combs with State Highway Patrol.

Channel 3 was not able to shoot video of that car right now because it is being held as evidence, but we can tell you it's "hide" was accessed electronically, meaning you needed to perform a series of events in the correct order, and the the false floor seats or taillights would then pop out, revealing the secret compartment.

The giveaway this time? Troopers noticed an overwhelming smell of raw marijuana which gave them probable cause to search the car.

Hidden compartments are only illegal when used to transport drugs or other contraband.

"We figured it out and followed the wiring and we were able to get it open," says Combs.

Troopers arrested 30-year-old Norman Gurley, who didn't even have any drugs on him, but it didn't matter, because in Ohio, just driving a "trap" car is now a felony.

"Without the hidden compartment law, we would not have had any charges on the suspect," says Combs.

But because of this law, one more "trap car" is now off Northeast Ohio roads.

"We apparently caught them between runs, so to speak, so this takes away one tool they have in their illegal trade. The law does help us and is on our side," says Combs.

Gurley, who is from Michigan, was arraigned this morning and has since posted bond.

Combs says the "hide" in Gurley's car was big enough to carry several pounds of drugs.

#13 ·
This is what happens when you go along with the "if you aren't guilty then you don't have anything to worry about" bs. What is "hidden"? A glove compartment? My Silverado had a cup holder section that popped off and had a compartment underneath. I would use it for holding my wallet or small valuables when I would leave them in the truck. That might trigger a law written so wide open.

In my opinion, if were wires so obvious that opening a door or trunk "led them straight to it", then it wasn't a hidden compartment. I hate to say this, but ACLU, where are you? Failing that, a good lawyer looking for a settlement on the side. This should be a slam-dunk against the state.

#14 ·
There must be more to the story than they are letting on. It specifically mentions controlled substance, residue of a controlled substance, or someone convicted of trafficking in drugs. So what is the rest of the story?

Here is the wording that was voted on for the law.
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_SB_305

AN ACT

To enact section 2923.241 of the Revised Code to prohibit designing, building, constructing, fabricating, modifying, or altering a vehicle to create or add a hidden compartment with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance, prohibit operating, possessing, or using a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance, and prohibit a person who has committed a first or second degree felony violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs from operating, possessing, or using a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio:

SECTION 1. That section 2923.241 of the Revised Code be enacted to read as follows:

Sec. 2923.241. (A) As used in this section:

(1) "Controlled substance" has the same meaning as in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Hidden compartment" means a container, space, or enclosure that conceals, hides, or otherwise prevents the discovery of the contents of the container, space, or enclosure. "Hidden compartment" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(a) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;

(b) Any original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of the modified equipment's contents;

(c) Any compartment, space, box, or other closed container that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, boxes, or closed containers integrated or attached to a vehicle.

(3) "Vehicle" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code and includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, commercial tractor, trailer, noncommercial trailer, semitrailer, mobile home, recreational vehicle, or motor home.

(4) "Motor vehicle," "commercial trailer," "trailer," "noncommercial trailer," "semitrailer," "mobile home," "manufacturer," "recreational vehicle," and "motor home" have the same meanings as in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning as in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B) of this section, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree.

(F) Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (C) or (D) of this section, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree. If the hidden compartment contains a controlled substance at the time of the offense, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the second degree.

(G) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the performance of the law enforcement officer's duties.

(H)(1) This section does not apply to any licensed motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle manufacturer that in the ordinary course of business repairs, purchases, receives in trade, leases, or sells a motor vehicle.

(2) This section does not impose a duty on a licensed motor vehicle dealer to know, discover, report, repair, or disclose the existence of a hidden compartment to any person.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

#15 ·
"We apparently caught them between runs, so to speak, so this takes away one tool they have in their illegal trade. The law does help us and is on our side," says Combs."

Bingo right there, as per snipers post.. Like I am guessing, they were watching these guys. They were not stopping Mom and Pop out for a Sunday ride..
L.O.s timing was just off.. Almost got em..
Remind me to tell you the story from the cocaine cowboy days when my buddy hit a tree with his loaded plane in the Bahamas.
Damn, had to fly to Florida, get a new prop, install the damn thing. Then have the natives push the plane to get it going.
Do not think he had any "hidden compartments."

#16 ·
Still, no contraband and yet charged with a felony for driving an auto with a hidden compartment? I can see opportunities abound for abuse. I don't see where they were watching these guys though as they "claim" they noticed some wires in the article. I would like a car that I could stash a few things without attracting the criminal element and not be subject to a felony at the same time. Should be interesting to follow this case and see where it leads.

#17 ·
Well maybe he was running pot and was between runs, or the po po used the age old non provable I smelled the odor or maryjane in the car to facilitate a search. Whichever, I still see this as an unconstitutional law. I can put as many hidden comartments in my car as I want, as long as there is nothing illegal in them. How in the world did this Nazi type law get passed? Ohio folks need to get this one off the books. It sets precedence for other states to follow suite.

#18 ·
Ill drive around with cash under my floor matt. They are taking this shit way too far. They need to add "With a commission of a felony" You have drugs or shit there, then there is a charge., Makes me want to grab an old Station wagon and swiss cheese the SOB and drive around.

#19 ·
With that law a person will be arrested just for having a sub woofer box, that can be classed as a "hidden compartment" since it's not from the factory like that.

How in the world did this Nazi type law get passed?
That question hits the nail on the head

Makes me want to grab an old Station wagon and swiss cheese the SOB and drive around
LOL

#22 ·
Maybe undercover cop cars, for those cops working to bust drug dealers??? :confused:

#23 ·
So with all being said, if I should go to Ohio hunting and have my prescriptions with me, 2 of which are controlled substances,,,

I'm a felon,,period,,,, by the way the law is written, no matter what the circumstances. At least by the sounds, it can be interpreted that way anyhow.

Way to much room for abuse by some rouge looking to fuck with someone they just don't like,,,,,IMO. And YES there out there,,I've worked with some like that,,and they were bigger crooks than the ones we were trying to protect the public from in many cases.

One main reason I may not have been hired as a full timer by the Forest Service,, I reported 2 such incidents and soon I seemed to be on a black list for hiring,,but how do ya prove it?

But after 12 years of exemplary service with many kudo's from all my supervisors, Governors awards for single handed rescues, and 6 years of volunteer work previously with no negative reviews at all, and quite to the opposite,,I was passed over for hiring after this happened,,

strange indeed

#24 ·
What about vehicles that come from the factories with "hidden" compartments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.