Gunco Forums banner

ar-10/lr-308 80% builds

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  willie 
#1 ·
anybody doing anything with the AR-10s?

i have been wanting to do one for some time and have recently found some 80% lowers with the jig for reasonable $$.

since many ar-15 parts are used on the 308s i'm getting into "reasonable " finished cost EXCEPT for barrels and BCGs-- they look to be running $200+++ each !

anybody got a line on more reasonable priced BCGs and barrels?

thinking about doing a group buy on lowers so we can all share the jig --that could save some $$

#2 ·
That would be a great build. I wonder if you could run 8mm Mauser in an AR10 sized magwell? I'd really like to do an AR in 8mm.

#3 ·
A friend wanted me to help him gather the parts and assemble an AR10 in .260 rem or 6.5 creedmoor. I did up a price list and he balked. These things are expensive. Any help on the price may get him interested again.

#4 ·
well i found some 80% for about $90 a pop.

the jig is $75 --though there is a 10 week waiting period as their all BO--

don't think a 8mm mauser will fit the 308 mag well though any of the 08 based rounds or 300 savage types will fit. there are a bunch of short mags to fir the ar-10 --how about a 8mm short mag?--LOL!

i figure we can do most of the parts for the AR10 for about the same as RETAIL on the ar-15 except for the barrel and BCG --

http://www.nwprecision.org/products/10112.html?gclid=COjN7vGoprsCFTEV7AodXyoA6Q

something i find interesting is that the AR10 has a bigger bolt and BCG --so how about a ar-10 in 45acp?--LOL!

#5 ·
A friend at work did a 300WSM on a 0% Armalite forging a few years back. He got a LUCKY price on a Eagle (Armalite) closeout 308 upper and rechambered it. In my opinion it is way over gassed and needs to move the gas port forward. Gas adjustment is only part of the equation as dwell timing is needed. That and his pushing 220gr high BC for long range accuracy doesn't help. His using a semi as a single shot is counter productive. He and I have had major friendly discussion about his sub 1/2 MOA verses my sub 3/4 MOA 308. He is capable of tighter single load groups but mine come through the magazine semiauto. He is all about accuracy and his benchrest 6mmbr and 6.5x284 with his Viper copy receivers machined by him are sweet. Back on topic. This is just my opinion but it is almost always cheaper to buy complete turnkey AR10 type rifle that trying to piece meal it. Or buy complete and sell the unused not needed parts. Have had my lr308 several years now and New the can be had for less than $1000 today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.