Gunco Forums banner

building my own rivet jig

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm kinda new to this whole AK building and I want to build my own rivet jig.I will be using the plinker style jig as my guide.
I'm wondering how to get the long rivets to form. I have been told just a 1/4 ball end mill but do I need to step up to 1/4 or will it form with just the 1/4 ball, and depth of the ball in my shoulder bolts to starting the forming?Is there a certain depth I should start at so I don't just fold the rivet over? any help would be greatly appreciated :salute:

Thanks Shawn

#2 ·
Measure a rivet head from the top of the dome to the base, or start the hole with the ball mill and keep checking the fit of a rivet head in it.

Most people say to have 1 1/2 times the shank diameter sticking out, I've only used AK Builder rivets and they worked fine without trimming.

Hope that helps

And welcome to the forum

#4 ·
thanks for the reply's , I made a few out of 5/16 shoulder bolts today couldn't find a 1/4 in our ball end mill drawer had a 5/16 I think it was, fit the ak builder rivet head ok. hoping I can finish it up by the end of the week. just need to heat treat and start squishing

#7 ·
Yeah, I don't see any pics either, but it says there are "attached thumbnails".

#8 ·
Boy it's been awhile, but as I recall we used two different sized ball end mills for making the divot that the rivet head sits in. IIRC We were using 1/4" for the metric swell neck rivets and either 7/32" or 9/32" for the US made (5/32"?) rivets. Otherwise you got a big smilie in the rivet head. Can somebody with a better memory remember the details?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.