Gunco Forums banner

Rhodesian FAL Questions?

17K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  mtdew 
#1 ·
I've talked myself into building a beater FAL, somethign that I won't cry about if I scratch it. NOT a safe queen.

My plan is to buy a cheap-o kit & Sarco folding stock, chop the barrel, and build it into a folding stock carbine.

Been looking at some of the mid-range FAL kits that are currently available. I don't want to use an STG kit because they are so darned nice, that I'd like to see them go fulfill their destiny. So I'm looking at either Rhodesian FAL kits or one of the other "used" kits floating around out there. Currently here's what I've found:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com - Rhodie kit
http://www.gunthings.com - "South African" kits (looks like Rhodie kits to me, probably are)
http://www.sarcoinc.com/fnfal.html - assorted FAL kits
http://www.thedealerwarehouse.com - misc FAL stuff

OK so I've grown tired of search 8 bazillion posts on FALFILES :(

Questions I have:
1. What is needed to convert a normal FAL to folding stock? What parts?
2. Anyone have the skinny on how well Rhodie parts kits shoot? 2 MOA? 10? Tumbling bullets?

TIA,
- Jerry

See less See more
#28 ·
Cephus said:
HEY RHINO WHEN ARE YA GOING TO FINISH MY .45 I'M WAITING ==LMAO
POOKIE QUIT DISTRACTING HIM HE'S GOT OTHER WORK TO DO.
I WANT TO SEE THE BOTH OF YA THE AUGUST SHOOT ,NO EXCUSES THIS TIME.LOL :rofl: :confused: :rofl: :confused: :rofl: :confused: :headspin:
I'm working away at it... The barrel is almost finished. I'm going to get the bolt and carrier welded up next weekend (hopefully). I'm also going to get the sleeve attached so the RPK handguard retainer will work.

Then it's on to the receiver work. In the meantime, I'm doing a little work on the furniture, so it'll be ready for final assembly. I'm going to do all the pieces in shellac to match the RPK lower handguard.

#29 ·
hcpookie said:
Here's my math -

Say, $600-700 give-or-take for a beater Para build? I'm not talking a safe queen, just something to kick around with. In fact I may weather the receiver & stock to match the kit's 'used' appearance. Beats the $2800 I saw for the last one I had priced at a gun show.

Dunno, but I think this sounds like a good investment to me. Going to have to buy some of those stocks...
While you get your SA kit on order, keep an eye on this thread for internal para parts:

#30 ·
Winn R said:
Jerry== I know nothing of value here but Gunplumber posted on the board the other day and I think his post had a link. He may be helpful.
Winn I've looked and see thathe only posted on the duracoat painting thread. Do you mean FALFILES? I've seen his older post where he described milling down, then welding up the hump.

After looking at the differences of the carriers, it seems to me I could do the same with some thick-walled steel tubing and judicous MIG work. IOW, mill flat that entire section, mill a groove for the thick tubing, weld it in position, SLOWLY weld up the sides, then finally mill smooth. It doesn't seem to hard, but would be a TON of time. May be easier to buy the DSA carrier :D

#31 ·
aw_frankie said:
Still need the para recoil spring assy!

Also, don't forget to fill in the full auto cut on the selector < 1 > and add a travel stop < 2 >.

Or buy an inch selector and be able to reach it without changing your grip. I wasn't worried about model accuracy so I substituted the folding cocking handle, selector and mag release for inch items as they all seem to be more ergonomic.

#33 ·
John Caven said:
where did you get your FNC?
I got it about 3 years ago (preban) from a local purchase. I'm planning to get a FA sear and get it converted ASAP. :D

#35 ·
Thanks for that heads-up, I probably will. Everyone seems to agree the Coonan receivers are good quality.

There's a potential GB on para conversion parts on falfiles, but they don't have anything to order yet so we shall see.

In no hurry, I've got a lot of machine work to do to it first :D

#37 ·
SalBO said:
I have been on the backorder list for Coonans since mid November...:(
You too?

There's some uneasy threads on FalFiles discussing what's up between FAC and DCI. RUMINT is FAC was bought out by someone else. The "gunsnstuff" website has been down for the past 2 weeks and their forum box on FalFiles has been locked. Sounds like $$ woes for FAC.

I called FAC today and the lady on the phone said to expect 8-10 weeks for Coonans. That's what they told me last Nov. :trulies:

#38 ·
UPDATE - my 2 Rhodie FAL kits arrived from

http://www.ammunitionstore.com

$170 each... these are the "B" grade kits they had.

They have VERY GOOD BARRELS! Let me say again - the barrels were scrubbed by someone before mailing, and they are nice and shiny, and no pitting/gouging/etc. I would rate the bores as VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT.

That said, it took them 2 weeks to get it to me and required a signature :( Fortunately I was home early enough yesterday to make it happen.

The overall condition of the kits is incredibly nice - I'd say VERY GOOD, not counting the finish. GOOD, counting the finish. THESE ARE RHODY FALS so they are all painted with the "baby vomit" colors. The stock seems a bit longer than my friend's STG stock, but can't verify.

The FCG parts are very solid - not loose at all. In fact, they are reasonably tight and feel like they were barely used. The only problems are surface wear and some minor pitting on the outside surfaces. There is a bit of rust on the inside of the top cover, but nothing painful.

I think these are only one notch below the STG kits. Assuming you will refinish, I rate these as VERY GOOD, considering only the mechanics and bore condition. The finish on the outside knocks these down a notch, so if you plan to use original furniture, keep that in mind.

Now to pick up some "needs work" folder stocks from SARCO. ;)

If you want a good quality FAL kit with "intact" barrels, I would strongly recommend these kits! I am fairly certain that all Rhody kits are about the same in condition, except not all places have scrubbed the bores before shipping... dunno on that one.

#40 ·
RLB said:
Hey Pookie, If you need the cutter and guide to do the cutout for the top cover
I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.

Rick
I have one too if you need it.......

#41 ·
Once you cut your receiver for the para top cover can you use a regular cover if you go back to a non folding stock?? I'm still waiting for DSA's para cover for non para cut receivers.

#42 ·
yes, you can go back if you want to. You will ove the DSA para top cover. I have 3 of them and wouldnt trade for anything else....

#45 ·
RLB said:
Hey Pookie, If you need the cutter and guide to do the cutout for the top cover
I'd be more than happy to loan you mine.

Rick
Thanks for the offer! Now that I have my two "build" Rhody kits I may collect a few more for trading purposes in a few months... ;)

These kits are real good condition - I'm really surprised there hasn't been a rush of "cheap fal" kit purchases. Especially considering the STG kits are so darned much!!!

#46 ·
Question on the Para Carrier. I'd like to know the diameter of the spring tube and overall height. I'm still entertaining the idea of cutting up a normal carrier to convert for use in a para.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.