Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MP5K Build project

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default MP5K Build project

So as you all might know I bought a Special Weapons SW45cal MP5K receiver a while ago. Some of you might have seem the quality of work they put into it....cough cough

Well I'm determined to get it shooting. Cause I've always wanted a MP5K (badass little gun) and I like 45cal. So naturely I had to buy it.

For the last few days I've been looking for any info on how to build this bad boy. So far little luck. I even went and read over at Tom Baily's site where I got even less info...Strange since they built the thing.

Here is what I have so far:

SW receiver Needs some hand fitting but no problem.
    .40 cal Front trunion
    .40 cal barrel
    .40 cal BoltHead complete
    .40 bolt carrier
    Triple frame with sight
    Lower with all .40 cal parts.

Here are some questions I have.

1) Do I need a .40 100 degree locking piece? Or are they all the same for the MP5K

2) I assume I need a .40 firing pin and spring.

3) Anything else I would need that is .40 cal specific?

4) There are no holes for the mag release in the mag well. See picture below. This gun will use M3 grease gun mags that have been modified but I'm not sure how they will stay in place and be released

5) I did a inside measurement of the barrel and of a .45 cal bullet to verify this barrel will shot .45cal. Any thoughts? Did I do this correctly.

6) What holds the triple fram in place on the barrel? I assume I need to drill the upper part of the barrel for the front eylet which should keep it in place. But there seems to be a larger hole directly over the barrel (seen in the pictures below) what's it for?

I have a cocking tube coming from HK dealer and I will instal it and the Front trunion this weekend. Stay tuned for more pics and progess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I can tackle #6
    Your assumption is correct. Triple tree held in place to the barrel with cross pin with eyelet (eyelet for sling attachement). The upper hole (shown in your photo) is an untapped hole. This upper hole is for screw that holds in bayo lug (threads in the bayo lug itself) or to locate detent for retention of a plastic close out cap (in lieu of a bayo lug)

Something on #4)
    It appears that this model does not use the side magazine latch you have seen on the HK-91. Seems the mag catch mechanism is all internal to the receiver and it is activated by the paddle at the bottom of the magwell. The magazine has a lug on it's rear upper surface to hold it in the magwell.

More stuff here;
    HKPRO:  The MP5/10 & 40

Might be able to find out more here. Looks like a pretty active HK forum;
    HKPRO Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Just got my cocking tube from hkparts.net

I slide it in and then mocked up the barrel and saw this... Barrel only goes in about 1/2 in. So now I'm a little worried about this build and whether I have the correct barrel. Of course that is assuming that the cocking tube is correct demensions.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

You need to check how far back the bolt will slide with that tube.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

It would appear that your cocking tube and barrel are both correct for the kurz (K) version of the MP5. Looks like the receiver must be trimmed back where the receiver mates with the cocking tube. I would verify this before cutting, but that is what I think I see in this photo. Look at how far back the cocking tube weld is on the receiver and in addition appears that the cocking tube is welded along the receiver above the trunnion (back to the rear end of the cocking tube). Looks like the upper part of the receiver should be trimmed back just about the same length as I see the barrel sticking out in your photos.

Here's a little writeup on the MP5K PDW (Personnel Defense Weapon). Judging by your parts shown in photos, I assume that's the version you're building.
    MP5K-PDW

Also, threw in photos of the brief case MP5K cause I thought it was cool ala James Bond. 'Get your hands up, this frigging brief case is loaded and it's got a very touchy carry handle'

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Ya I see it now. Good catch!

I'm in contact with someone over at HKPRO that seems to know about building the SW MP5K I'll hit him up tomorrow and see what he has to say about measurements to cut back the receiver etc. for the cocking tube.

Love those pics!!

Soon mine MP5K will be done and I can move forward with my plan to rule the world......oops was I still typing???

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Illya Kuryakin View Post
    I can tackle #6
    Your assumption is correct. Triple tree held in place to the barrel with cross pin with eyelet (eyelet for sling attachement). The upper hole (shown in your photo) is an untapped hole. This upper hole is for screw that holds in bayo lug (threads in the bayo lug itself) or to locate detent for retention of a plastic close out cap (in lieu of a bayo lug)

Something on #4)
    It appears that this model does not use the side magazine latch you have seen on the HK-91. Seems the mag catch mechanism is all internal to the receiver and it is activated by the paddle at the bottom of the magwell. The magazine has a lug on it's rear upper surface to hold it in the magwell.

More stuff here;
    HKPRO: The MP5/10 & 40

Might be able to find out more here. Looks like a pretty active HK forum;
    HKPRO Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    I was looking at the mag release earlier, I believe you're right it is the paddle/flapper mag release MP5 Paddle Magazine Release - anti rattle style

Without seeing how it is installed on a actual semi gun it's a little hard to figure out how to mount it. It looks like it uses the pistol grip frame front pin to hold it in place but I won't have that.

I'll see if I can find some more info on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I remember reading about a kit someone offered that has a way to mount the paddle w/o drilling holes in the side of the receiver. Can't remember for sure how it worked, but I do know there's stuff out there for this.

The MP5 is gonna be Uber Cool

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

On the HK full autoMP5 receivers the front pushpin hole for the lower gripframe has a tube inside it, just like the ones at the rear for the stock. The paddle mag release pivots on this tube. The semi auto factory ones do not have the paddle release since the hole was eliminated by the mounting shelf system, they just use the pushbutton release on the side. The paddle release normally just shoves the pushbutton release sideways, but the 10mm and .40 MP5 seem to use a proprietary paddle release only, one that directly locks into the mag. The one you linked to is the standard one that pushes the other release.

Standard method of adding a paddle to a semi is to use a pin 1/2 the diameter of the original tube and make a bushing to fit inside the paddle. MIG welder tips seem to work well for this. The hole is located by attaching the lower and marking the center of the front mounting hole. A blind hole has to be drilled, the paddle pinned in place, then the pin welded over to make it permanent as per ATF.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

That's good stuff to know.

BTW - I'm just enjoying watching Bob spend his money

Did I do that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.