Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build or Have built that's the question

Feedback Score

Default Build or Have built that's the question

OK, I've had an Imbel kit laying around for about 4 years now and haven't done anything with it. I just got a Type 1 Entreprise receiver from the batch they ran in December and it is time to put this together. I have zip in the way of FAL tools and don't plan to build another. It is to be an alternative to my M1A and Navy Garands in 7.62. So since the receiver came with a $99 build coupon and a $125 refinish coupon, I have been considering letting them do it. Has anyone used them for this and what are your opinions? It is really about a break even or be ahead proposition the way I see it, and they have the pieces to make it all legal without me having to hunt them up. I'm capable of the build with tools, just wonder if it would really be any better?
    TIA

Thaine

Feedback Score

Which company are you talking about - DSA? That sounds like great discounts on the build and refinishing. That's more than 50% off for many builders.

The tools aren't cheap, but you may be able to attend a build party in your area.

-Scott

Feedback Score

Entreprise is the one. After Gunplumber gave their new receivers a clean bill of health, I ordered one in Nov and received in Dec or early Jan. It came with two discount coupons for build and refinish. I will probably be a few $ ahead by letting them do it vice buying tools, although the more I read, that may not be true. Just wondering what folks thought of Entreprises build quality.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Really the only hard thing involved is screwing in the barrel and headspacing it with the proper locking shoulder. After that is like a complete teardown for a detailed cleaning. Unless They're in the area you're also going to have to pay shipping both ways which will add up pretty fast. I have looked at their build package in the past and it didn't cover much more than screwing the barrel and putting in a locking shoulder which wasn't included in the price. I bet you're going to be over $350 before you get the gun back in your hands. I'd do it myself and sell the barrel&receiver wrench afterwards. I have sandblasted about 8 M1 Garands before I got my blasting cabinet. I used a $20 walmart sandblaster, home depot play sand. I bundled up good wearing rubber coated canvas gloves, goggles and a canister dust mask. Keep the wind to your back/side and put down a blue tarp to catch all the sand or you'll end up with sand everywhere and your lawn will get all chewed up. I also sifted the playsand through an old screen to have a more uniform finish. Then look up the parkerizing tutorals and go for it. You're already waited 4 years whats a little more time.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Thaine View Post
    OK, I've had an Imbel kit laying around for about 4 years now and haven't done anything with it. I just got a Type 1 Entreprise receiver from the batch they ran in December and it is time to put this together. I have zip in the way of FAL tools and don't plan to build another. It is to be an alternative to my M1A and Navy Garands in 7.62. So since the receiver came with a $99 build coupon and a $125 refinish coupon, I have been considering letting them do it. Has anyone used them for this and what are your opinions? It is really about a break even or be ahead proposition the way I see it, and they have the pieces to make it all legal without me having to hunt them up. I'm capable of the build with tools, just wonder if it would really be any better?
    TIA

Thaine
    "4 years", mine 6 years
    if you need tools hot barrel makes the tools you will need good tools for a fair price. I just got my reciver this week and did not get a coupon , but I have the tools so use the coupon to get it built you will come out cheper but miss out on how to fix it if it breaks. just my free advice. muttman

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

i built several L1A1's and fal's, but i found out it was much easier to just send them off to someone that would install the barrel, check the timing and install the correct lug bolt, check head space. i would send them 4 at a time to do and in about 4 to 6 weeks they would show up at my house. i sold all my fal building tools. now all i do is just assemble the rifle like i want with parts, refinish it and shoot it ( well sometimes, need to take a bunch to the range soon).
    there are several guys ( gunsmiths) that do it and the prices to me is very reasonable. (i happen to use ken kubin at global gunsmithing.)
    i will be letting my grandsons shoot them and i wanted to make sure they were safe for them to shoot.
    this is a picture of the last batch of 4 i got from ken, i am not doing any more of them after these. i have enough of them now.
    i still have 2 fal para's to finish up and 2 L1A1's to do that are near finished. that's it, i am done. no more.

good luck with what ever you descide to do. just remember to enjoy them.

ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Gunco Rookie campbaker2@bellsouth.net's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaine View Post
    Entreprise is the one. After Gunplumber gave their new receivers a clean bill of health, I ordered one in Nov and received in Dec or early Jan. It came with two discount coupons for build and refinish. I will probably be a few $ ahead by letting them do it vice buying tools, although the more I read, that may not be true. Just wondering what folks thought of Entreprises build quality.
    i have several entreprise products for different weapons. i bought an m1a (m-14 receiver) had no problems with fal or other parts or their services. been around a long time & they remain at the top of their game.

i trust them, they have had some issues, but they try to remedy the problems, thats the intent of a stable business, not a snatch & grab flash in the pan

campbaker

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I made my own rec. wrench, bbl vise for almost nil, lots of cutting, grinding, cursing. but it came out great. theres a diagram for rec. wrench on the web somewhere.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Here's the info on building your own FAL tools.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f254/hot...-wrench-32922/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

building a fal can be done easily enuff if you make your own tools which is pretty straight forward for a person handy with simple tools around the house, so if you want a project I say go slow and measure measure measure before doing anything and be sure of what you are doing.

To me the $$$ comes out roughly the same when all is figured up and considered (time included!), maybe a c-note or 2 on the have it built side??

you'll be fine.

having said that it's just as easy to send off the barrel and recv'r to a competent 'smith and get it barreled and headspaced:
    Mark Graham-Arizona Response Systems
    Ken Kubin-Global Gunsmithing
    Randy Kline-Sledgehammer Arms Works
    Jim Gravitt-Pro Tech Engineering
    are just a few but plenty others are out there that are just as good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.