Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding PPSh41

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Rebuilding PPSh41

I would have done this sooner but had camera problems.

Well first a big thank you goes to 1Biggun for his excellent work he did with the barrel. So if you need some lathe work done get a hold of him and see if he can help.
    He had a barrel for another project that didn't work out and he made it work for mine "wants". Originally my PPSh rifle had an original barrel with a steel tube welded to it to bring it out to 16"+, now thanks to him I have a 16"+ barrel.

Here's a pic of an original barrel & the one he made for me, the main part of concern was the chamber end that had to fit the trunnion, he made it a few thousandths over and just a few minutes with some emery cloth got it fitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Here's some more pics.
    Just want to add, there is no way an original barrel will work in this rifle as is, it would flop around, the only way to get it to work would involve cutting and welding.

The first pic is with the steel tube welded on the barrel, I thought I had a better pic but just to give an idea of it diammeter, the new barrel just fits inside the tube.

Click on pics for a larger view
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Now some pics of the IO bolt for The Dark Night, I hope these help with your problem.

The first two pics show where the pin is to remove the firing pin & the firing pin and spring next to the bolt. Make sure you have a finger on the back of the firing pin or pointed in a direction that it can't just fly off some where, the firing pin is under a little spring pressure and does come out once the pin is removed.

The third one shows the front & back. To remove the extractor you lift on the front of the flat spring and while holding it up you put a punch or something small in the hole at the back and push it forward, after the flat spring is out the extractor just slides straight up out of the groove.
    I know this is more then you asked for but it might help someone else too.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I still have more work to do to this rifle and will keep updating as I go.

Feedback Score

Hello Coils,
    That is one slick-looking carbine there !!! Stock up on 7.52x25 ammo. It will be a fun shooter. Don't forget to use a fresh urethane buffer as they do pound back a bit.

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks Coils you really helped I hope some day I can return the favor.

By the way nice mill I live in WV and was looking at the same one on crag's list. You got a great deal.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Slick.

The bolt is from inter ordinance?

How is the hammer set up done?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Here's some more pics.
    Just want to add, there is no way an original barrel will work in this rifle as is, it would flop around, the only way to get it to work would involve cutting and welding.
    Seems like all you would need is a press fit bushing to build an SBR out of it.

How do you figure it would require cutting and welding?

I understand that you would want to imply that you can't readily build an SBR, but I can see several ways to make that barrel work.

1. A second trunnion. However if the trunnion you have installed is welded into the receiver that would address that.
    2. A bushing to slip over the existing barrel and fit the larger trunnion.

PS - Nice work, I like the rifle! How is the blocking of the original bolt accomplished?

Mark

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Nice one coils. I love 7.62x25 and hope to get a few more guns in that caliber!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Wow, a lot more responses then I thought.
    I posted this before going to work, that's why it took me 'til now to reply.

Everybody, thank you for the complements.

Viper Dude Yes it is fun to shoot, just have to remember not to stand under the roof at the range, the empties bounce back. I got something like 2k or 3k rnds right now, I'd like to get some more of the Romy stuff before it's gone.
    Do you know where to get a urethane buffer? All I got is the bakelite one that came with the kit, it's not holding up to well.

Dark Night your welcome, I try to help when I can.
    And thanks about the mill, it's no Bridgeport but I think it will be able to do more then I will need it to.

Winn yes the bolt is from IO and the trigger group too. I'll have to take some detailed pics of the TG later, I think they did a pretty good job with it, the stock selector is used as the safety.

Mark stop being a smart ass A stock barrel would be unsupported at the front and there's not much on the trunnion end, so that's why I said the barrel would flop around, I really don't think it would work or be safe with an original barrel. The cutting welding involved would be on the front of the receiver/barrel shroud, I don't think it would be hard to do but it's not a simple drop in thing.
    Yes the trunnion is welded to the receiver.
    How is the blocking of the original bolt accomplished?
    If you look at the bottom left pic of the bolt you'll notice a huge groove cut into the left side of the bolt (it's on the right in the pic), this is were the block rides that is attached to the upper receiver. The groove is like three times the size it needs to be.

Pat, I think the x25 is a great round too, if someone made a modern pistol in this caliber I'd buy one. I got a CZ52 (don't really care for it though), a Polish TT33 and want to get another , also got a PPs43 & Yugo m56 kit to build yet and a CZ26 if anyone ever figures out a FCG (now this would be SBR'ed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.