Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NEED QUALITY MAGS FOR MY .45 ???

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question NEED QUALITY MAGS FOR MY .45 ???

Mags marked Colt .45 I just tossed in the friggen canal. Yup. Rite too Davy Jones locker they went. Gone sunk morta. Junk. Friggen junk.
    O.K. Colt .45 mag lovers. Bring it on. I can take it.
    The whole top of the damn mags expanded at the lips and I needed a pair of pliers to get the damn things out of the mag well.
    Have two other .45 mags "unmarked" that work great.
    Need quality mags. Are the Chip McCormick mags any good.
    Picture, poor quality, shows where the damn mags expanded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

4th, I've always had good results from the Chip McCormicks and the Wilson Combats. They are well made and use good follwers. Some are 8 or 10 rounders too. They are expensive but they don't crack or cause jams. Long lasting quality IMO.
    The one in your pic always cracks apart at the notch in the back of the mag body right at the bottom of the lips causing the lips to spread apart and get thrown in the canal.
    In looking at the Wilson, that notch is rounded. The McCormick is angled. Both types seem to leave more meat on bottom of the lips for strenth.
    Save the spring and follower, ya never know.
    I grabbed a bunch from a show recently that are sealed in brown paper. The guy says they are mil. contract but I don't know how to tell. The followers don't tilt so I bought them. They have no markings on them that I could find. I'll try one out next week and let ya know.
    Also I have a couple standard Shooting Stars. The notch is angled but the followers tip forward. So far (multiple thousand rounds) they have been reliable but time will tell.
    My Mecgars have been reliable even though I've been told others have had problems w/ them. Strange thing about them is that they won't trip the magazine safety inside of the Marlin Camp 45, so I need to keep them separated from the others.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

wilson mags, chip mccormick, to name a few.

Cproducts makes a 1911 mag - however I haven't heard anything about if they are any good or not.

Here is an interesting read.
    1911 Magazine Analysis: Feeding Time
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Try Wilson combat, or La Bear. Cost a little more, but you always pay for quality.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    I grabbed a bunch from a show recently that are sealed in brown paper. The guy says they are mil. contract but I don't know how to tell. The followers don't tilt so I bought them. They have no markings on them that I could find.
    All the "recent" mil-surp .45 ACP magazine I've owned or seen have the assembly number and manufacturer number stamped on the floor plate.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ACMcom View Post
    All the "recent" mil-surp .45 ACP magazine I've owned or seen have the assembly number and manufacturer number stamped on the floor plate.
    You are correct, I was looking at the wrong mag while typing.
    Here it is:
    19200-
    ASSY 5508694
    MFR. 30745

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Also be aware that even the top name mags(wilson,mccormick,etc.) may need to be tweaked to perform flawlessly, but I doubt they will ever swell like the cheap ones did. I've got one I like that i think came from Brownells. ACT-MAG/PSI made in Italy stamped on them. Fairly cheap.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Mags marked Colt .45 I just tossed in the friggen canal. Yup. Rite too Davy Jones locker they went. Gone sunk morta. Junk. Friggen junk.
    O.K. Colt .45 mag lovers. Bring it on. I can take it.
    The whole top of the damn mags expanded at the lips and I needed a pair of pliers to get the damn things out of the mag well.
    Have two other .45 mags "unmarked" that work great.
    Need quality mags. Are the Chip McCormick mags any good.
    Picture, poor quality, shows where the damn mags expanded.
    I have had some do that too. I just took a torch to them, heated them up at the offending point, and oil queched them. Problem solved. IF you still have them, give it a try. You have nothing to lose.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Good tips thanks guys.

I will grab a couple of each mentioned.
    Wish I new what the unmarked mags are. They work flawlessly.
    Thought Colt had a better name than that. Maybe they are fake Colts from China or something. I dont know.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

ya never know who made what these days. colt may be made in china for all i know.

on my 1911 i am running some old gi-surplus mags. haven't had any problems. but i don't shoot the 1911's any where near as much as the tupperware pistols. so YMMV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.