Thread: CALIFORNIA LEGAL SAIGA...

Feedback Score

Default CALIFORNIA LEGAL SAIGA...

IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SAIGA 308 AND I WANT TO CHANGE A COUPLE THINGS BUT THE CALIFORNIA LAWS ARE A PAIN IN THE A**!

IF I PUT A COLLAPSIBLE STOCK WITH A PISTOL GRIP. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO THE MAG RELEASE TO STILL BE LEGAL???

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xgumox View Post
    IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SAIGA 308 AND I WANT TO CHANGE A COUPLE THINGS BUT THE CALIFORNIA LAWS ARE A PAIN IN THE A**!

IF I PUT A COLLAPSIBLE STOCK WITH A PISTOL GRIP. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO THE MAG RELEASE TO STILL BE LEGAL???
    Well as long as it is OVER 30 inches with the collapsible stock and you have a NON-Detachable magazine that holds 10 rounds or less you are good to go... It would be close but, I don't quite think you'll make the length with a collapsible stock (at least not with the 16" barrel.) A Saiga 12 with a collapsible stock at 18" barrel is 29" OAL with a folding stock.

Alternatively you could take the gas piston out, make it so that it won't be semi-auto and you can go down to 26" overall length with a 16" barrel and detachable mags. Just have to cycle it by hand like the brits.

Mark

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
    Rifles
    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
    the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
    rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Feedback Score

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a Saiga .308 and .223 both with 16in barrels. Most of the guys with Saigas using the collapsable stock basically adjust it to where they want it and then take a screw and pin the stock so that it can't be moved. Do that and put a mag lock on the mag release and you're good to go.

However, this only works if you plan on doing a conversion. If you don't then you'll have 922r issues and thats Federal which is regardless of any Kalifornia law.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemacdude View Post
    I have a Saiga .308 and .223 both with 16in barrels. Most of the guys with Saigas using the collapsable stock basically adjust it to where they want it and then take a screw and pin the stock so that it can't be moved. Do that and put a mag lock on the mag release and you're good to go.

However, this only works if you plan on doing a conversion. If you don't then you'll have 922r issues and thats Federal which is regardless of any Kalifornia law.
    It would be interesting (but not fun) to see a test case that stated that since California has banned all non-sporting rifles that 922r does not apply since obviously all new legal California rifles are clearly sporting weapons.

Can't have it both ways... it's either an "assault rifle" or it's a "sporting rifle", pick.

Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    It would be interesting (but not fun) to see a test case that stated that since California has banned all non-sporting rifles that 922r does not apply since obviously all new legal California rifles are clearly sporting weapons.

Can't have it both ways... it's either an "assault rifle" or it's a "sporting rifle", pick.

Mark
    Actually, its not as "black & white" as you say so. There are a lot of "grey" areas. There are many "non-sporting" looking rifles that are within Kalifornia law. We can buy Bushmaster ACRs and FN SCARs all day long here in Kali. The only stipulation is that they must have a mag lock and a 10rnd mag.

The ACRs and SCARs are sold with non-adjustable and non-folding stocks. Even the Robinson XCRs are available in a "featureless" configuration (ie no flash hider, no PG, and fixed stock). In the "featureless" configuration, you can have a detachable mag but are still limited to 10rnds in capacity.

I plan on doing a "featureless" configuration on my Saiga .308. The only exception is that my Saiga .308 has an AK74 style brake. This is where the "grey" area starts.

The law states that you're not allowed to have a "flash hider" in a "featureless" configuration. However a "muzzle brake" is NOT a "flash hider" so it is allowed. Some may argue that some muzzle devices sold as a brake are actually hiders. The difference between the a brake and a hider is the the slots on a brake are across the bore centerline whereas the hider has slots that are along the bore centerline.

Kalifornia may have a bunch of screwy gun laws but there are ways around it that still allows room for our interests in EBRs.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.