Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the illogical approach to ammo

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak the illogical approach to ammo

the illogical approach to the ammo situation.

i remember during the panic of 08 the ammo flying off the shelves.

the first thing wally-world ran out of was all the popular rounds like 7.62x39, 223, 9mm, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 45acp, 40sw, 38spc, 270, 243 and such ran out in a few weeks. with the top picks going out of stock in a couple days.

but they had a pick-up load of 22-250 that just sat there through the whole panic-- in fact i think they still got some of it today!--LOL!

i have noticed a trend where people try to consolidate around one or two specific rounds generally 9mm and either 5.56 or 7.62x39

admittedly these "hot" sellers will be the first ones back AFTER the panic.

a few 'oddball" irons might come in handy as if your late and the panic has hit those oddball sized rounds may be all that is left to get--

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Good advice j4

Yes. I have been grabbing .22 Mag ammo each trip out.
    For my rifle and pistol..
    Not that expensive and it is a tough little round.
    The Mafia use it too wack people.
    So if they endorse it, it has too be good.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That's cool, cause I picked up a 22-250 last year and I love it. I do happen to need some more ammo for it as well.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    That's cool, cause I picked up a 22-250 last year and I love it. I do happen to need some more ammo for it as well.

i got some 357sig the sane way--lol!

you might find some other odd-ball rounds even after the panic , some i am thinking of might be-- 41 mag, 32HR mag-327federal , i don't know about 7.62x25 or 5.45x39 as there mail-order only around here.

haven't had any problems getting any ammo yet--other than the price keeps going up.

could be a panic brewing --but all i have been seeing lately is just typical "inflation" you have to remember EVERYTING is going up 20%+ a year now and that includes ammo.

i don't think were ever gonna see those 1989 prices again. the truth be told were luck we got what we got--

i am thinking there is gonna be ammo to buy it is just going to be more expensive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post

i am thinking there is gonna be ammo to buy it is just going to be more expensive.

This is what i'm thinking as well. There will probably be a run on ammo but likely nothing like what was seen in 08-09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Time to make an ak in .300 savage or .35 rem.
    Semper Fortis, Paratus Et Potens, Non Sibi, Sed Patriae.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Not Illogical At All

I noticed that some vendors are already warning of higher prices and depleting inventories. Not sure if it's the start of the election-year feeding frenzy or if it's just the bad economy or some combination. Still plenty of steel-cased around including Russian commercial. I bought more Yugo M67 and see that the price has gone up $20 a case in the last week. The milsurp 7.72x51 MEN and Radway Green seems to have vanished although Portuguese and Malaysian are still around as is some Belgian M60 linked ammo. The Federal 5.56 has been flying out the doors at brick and morter shops (Walmart and Sportsmans Warehouse) but most Walmarts I have been to lately have sold out and are not sure when they are getting more or at what price.

When we see news articles in the MSM that talk of gun and ammo shortages we might want to take notice and get what we need for the next few months until the situation cools down. Prices may recover and they may not - it just may depend on a number of factors. Commodity Inflation stands out as the biggest culprit followed by perceptions of the coming elections in November. On the otherhand, as the wars in the Middle East and conflicts around the world wind down there will probably be a lot of cheap ammo looking for a market.

That said, in the short to intermediate term we may see problems finding decent priced milsurp as we head into summer and some vendors already are warning of price increases and limited availability. Some "preorders" are filled quickly now at some vendors. It just may be best to have some variety in calibres for some rifles. I have stocked up on my "orphan calibres" like 6.55x55 Swede and Argentine 7.65 (as well as 9mm Largo). If you are concerned about more common calibres for hunting we should be okay with commercial 30.06 for example.

I have been filling in some gaps in my long term storage. I recently bought a few cases of Federal 5.56, Yugo M67, a couple cases of Yugo M75, and a few cases of Portuguese 7.62x51. I will add as supply and pricing allows. But I am not about to chase higher prices because I have run low on certain calibres. If you have some less common calibre then that may be the way to go as the masses tend to flock to more common calibres. Actually I see plenty of Russian 5.45x39 around and prices have not changed much and this could be a decent alternative (even tho it's virtually all steel-cased). Who knows how all this will play out this year. We may just "dodge a bullet" (sorry for the pun). The economy is bad enough and real unemployment is high that there may not be as much of a feeding frenzy this time. Keep you fingers crossed.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Good post Black Blade...

I may be wrong. Hell I most always am.
    But I kind of go with j4 on this one.
    The economy is just so bad, dont think people really have the cash flow, this time round.
    I think the run will be on weapons.
    Weapons the Govt. does not like.
    Just prior too the last election down here in Florida.
    People were bringing junk AKs too the fun shows and customers were fist fighting over them.
    I own one gun and a box of ammo.
    Hell that is all I need.
    My main worry is the damn beer prices have been rising.
    Whas up with that??
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

around these parts in the Obummer O-conomy the question is--

do i spend my feeble pay-day on the power bill, put some gas in my SUV OR buy groceries?

ammo and firearms are WAY down the list.

everybody is cash poor, under paid, drawing UNEMPLOYMENT or facing a workforce cut back.

and locally the governments reaction is to raise taxes--

very few have the resources to stock up on anything --their just barely paying their bills.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

4th,Too much achol. going into gasoline, running outa corn, Oh NO BEER SHORTAGE!!!! Sad day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.