Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 7.65 Mauser today

Feedback Score

Default Picked up a 7.65 Mauser today

Found a very clean 98 style Mauser today in a local pawn shop. Looks stock but it is a 7.65 maybe Belgium, not sure but the shop ordered me 2 boxes of ammo from Norma and it was in stock, so that's a good thing.

Feedback Score

When possible post some pictures of your Mauser rifle and its' markings. Does it have a quick release floor plate ???

VD in AZ

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

7.65 Belgian/Argentine. If you reload, you can get new Prvi Partizan brass at a reasonable price. Shoots the same bullets as .303 British, 7.7 Arisaka, 7.62x54R, or 7.63x39.

I have a '91; my first rifle. When I got it there was NO 7.65 ammo to be had, so I started off with an RCBS trim die and sawed off .30-06 brass to make 7.65 cases. It was also my first try at reloading... worked just fine.

The 7.65 wasn't a very popular cartridge, but it is powerful and accurate. It's a little more work than an 8mm, but I think you'll like it.

Feedback Score

A friend had a beautiful Argentine '98 sporter in 30'06 with all the trimmings that would not group for anything. The bore was primo and the headspace was correct. When I recalled the old trick of re-cutting the 7,65 chamber to 30'06 and using the .311 bullets I asked him if he reloaded. No, he didn't.

The bore slugged out to .311 inch so that was the problem. I rebarelled the rifle with a nice new 30'06 Mauser barrel and that solved the problem.

VD in AZ

Feedback Score

Default Is a 7.65 hotter than a .308?

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    7.65 Belgian/Argentine. If you reload, you can get new Prvi Partizan brass at a reasonable price. Shoots the same bullets as .303 British, 7.7 Arisaka, 7.62x54R, or 7.63x39.

I have a '91; my first rifle. When I got it there was NO 7.65 ammo to be had, so I started off with an RCBS trim die and sawed off .30-06 brass to make 7.65 cases. It was also my first try at reloading... worked just fine.

The 7.65 wasn't a very popular cartridge, but it is powerful and accurate. It's a little more work than an 8mm, but I think you'll like it.
    How would a 7.65 stack up vs. the .308 at the local range where everybody has .308's?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Loaded right the 7.65 should have more power than the 308 and do everything is 308 can do possibly a little better

There are trim informed eyes available to allow you to make this round out of 30-06.

Argentines Had a highly sought after drop down floor plate. The left hand side of the receiver is clearly marked And easily identifiable.

I have a pair of Argentines that I have never shot. I bought them years ago to sporterize and found out that there too valuable to cut up.

Feedback Score

Would be like chopping a 57 Ford Thunderbird. Saw a young man once who had a new Swedish 6.5 X 55 mauser. It had never been test fired. It had lead over the firing pin hole. I told him not to shoot it. If he did he would knock hundreds of dollars off it's value. Go buy another to play with. He disregarded my advice.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

from Wikipedia:

7.62x54R: 150gr/2,840fps, 174gr/2,610fps (52K PSI)
    7.62x51: 150gr/2,800fps, 174gr/2,600fps (60K PSI)
    7.65x53: 155gr/2,710fps, 174gr/2,460fps (57K PSI)

No real difference. Though I found it interesting that Sellier&Bellot 54R is listed as slightly hotter than NATO-spec .308. No wonder those Mosins have a bit of kick to them... and the 54R does it with 8,000 PSI less pressure.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

nice rifles just remember these rifles only have two safety lugs not three like mauser 98's
    308 is the hottest you want to shoot in these and yes I have read wonderful things about these as deer rifles re-stocked the argies are the most desired as indicated they have nice wood always regreted not getting one myself, projectile and brass and primers are available since ar's and ak don't shoot large projectiles, powder maybe tough to find
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nice rifles just remember these rifles only have two safety lugs not three like mauser 98's
    MY ARGINTINES ARE LARGE RING 98 STYLE THEY CAN HANDEL THE SAME PRESSURES AS ANY OF THE 98S CAN AS FAR AS I KNOW. AM I MISSING SOME THING ?????

THE FLOOR PLATES ARE WORTH MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE GUNS LOL

THERE ARE ALSO SMALL RING ARGINTIES AN YOUR CORRECT THEY DONT DONT HAVE THE THIRD SAFTEY LUG AN SHOULD STAY AT AROUND 50,000 PSI OR UNDER

THE 7.65 HAS MORE CASE CAPACITY THAN A 7.62X51 AN IF LOADED TO THE SAME PRESSURES IT WILL HAVE A HIGHER MUZZELVELOCITY ESPECAILY WIHT A SLIGHTLY BIGGER BULLET.

I HAVE A BUDDY WHO HAS A SPORTERISED ARGINTEEN WHO HAS HUNTED DEER WITH IT FOR AROUND 40 YEARS. HE HAND LODS IT AN IT GIVES UP LITTLE TO A 30-06. FROM SEEING IT SHOOT AT 100 YARDS AN AT 300 AN COMPARING THE TRAJECTORIES TO MY REMINGTON FACTORY 30-06 LOADS IN 150 GRAIN ID SAY MY FACTROY LOADS WERE LACKING. HIS GUN DROPED ABOUT 3/4 LESS THAN INE AT 300 YARDS BOTH ZEROED AT 100. MY BARREL IS 22" HIS WAS ABOUT 24"

MY ADVICE IS BUY THE REFORMING DIES AN GET SOME 30-06 AN FORM UP A FEW HUNDRED ROUNDS A ENJOY IT . IF THE BARREL DONT SHOOT THE WORRY ABOUT CHANGING IT. HOW IT RATES REALLY WONT MATTER IF ITS IN STOCK FORM YOUR LIKELY NOT GOING TO HUNT WITH IT OR USE IT FOR ANYHTING ANY WAY OTHER THAN BENCH SHOOTING .

I SEE THE FORMING DIES ON EBAY FROM TIME TO TIME THATS WERE I GOT MINE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.