Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soldering,Brazing and Gas Welding

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Soldering,Brazing and Gas Welding

Ok, so I'm starting to feel comfortable with my shiny new mig welder.
    I do alot soldering of copper pipe with propane or the yellow bottle MAP when I build bathroom showers.

Now I need some entry level advise on brazing and gas welding.

What else can the yellow bottle torch be used for other than spot heat treating Aks and soldering water supply lines?

I bought a spool of Berzomatic silver bearing solder. The roll says Metal Works on it.

What type of flux should be used and what types of work can it be used for?

And will the yellow bottle Map, that's not really Map anymore, produce enough heat for silver bearing solder?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Or no flux(?), the roll says acid core.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I use to use a product called dynaflow on high pressure copper to steel tubeing when I did HVAC/R work.MAPP gas can be used on small jobs.
    Dynaflow® | The Harris Products Group
    I think it melts at 1600 and flows at 1650F.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"Silver bearing solder" is a tin based solder with some silver mixed in for extra strength, like 4-5%. Suitable for jewelry and light metal work. If a solder has a flux core, you don't need a separate flux. Something to permanently attach a bbl extension, for example, is more than 50% silver and is more a braze than a solder. Only ever seen it as a solid, no flux core. I use Stay Silv flux with it.

Stay-Silv® White Flux | The Harris Products Group

ak9
    Feedback Score

tanvil
    from what I was reading on "the New Mapp"gas is real similar to ox/acly welding ... grab a few steel coat hangers/ wire ...no flux w/steel to steel needed and blend some steel parts together.You can also heat up cast iron while electric welding and then temper/ anneal during cool down with it all while electric welding . there are hard coatings ...powders ...that you can heat/cook on surfaces to hard face also.hell fill up some balloons (outside )fuze lots of uses n go boom

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I love making salutes!!!

I'm going to have to dig in the attic to find a wire coat hanger, all of the ones in the closet are either wood or the new cheezy plastic ones.

I played around with the 'metal work' solder a little bit. It will bite to steel if it is clean and sterile, but it's very weak. Obviously NOT for sights or any thing structural.

Just to get an idea of how hot the Map gets, I melted a few things. That's always alot of fun. A penny looks like copper, but,,,,,

Thanks to the link for the Harris products, I'll buy some of that and see what kind of trouble I can get into with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ak9 View Post
    tanvil
    from what I was reading on "the New Mapp"gas is real similar to ox/acly welding ... grab a few steel coat hangers/ wire ...no flux w/steel to steel needed and blend some steel parts together.You can also heat up cast iron while electric welding and then temper/ anneal during cool down with it all while electric welding . there are hard coatings ...powders ...that you can heat/cook on surfaces to hard face also.hell fill up some balloons (outside )fuze lots of uses n go boom
    Ok I have to admit i am thick when it comes to this stuff so you are say that new mapp gas can be used like a regular welder to meld steel??? by using coat hangers, I remember years ago ( many moons ago) they talked about using coat hanger to weld sten tubes but i did not recall Mapp gas in the conversation I also remember they used brazing
    this has not be discussed in the thread, what do folks here know about brazing??
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Tig Welder Extraordinaire zapster's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    Ok I have to admit i am thick when it comes to this stuff so you are say that new mapp gas can be used like a regular welder to meld steel???

Ummmmmm..NO.

Mapp gas does not have the heat to actually melt metal...Well maybe something REAL THIN but in the REAL world it's best for soldering..
    A real oxy accetelyne set up will melt steel because you use the oxygen as a accelerant and you just can't do that with a Mapp gas torch.
    Take this from a REAL welder.

...zap!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Brazing is essentially the same as soldering, the temps are just way higher as the filler metal has a higher melting point. And more strength.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I found some hangers and, damn, I wish I had read this BEFORE I spent 5 minutes figuring out that Map is simply not going to get that hanger hot enough.

They'll glow red but that's about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.