Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Centerfire ar kit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Centerfire ar kit

Has anyone seen these?
    http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-AR-...t%2520out%2521
    I have never built a ar so I am not sure if this is a good deal or not. Looks like it would need a lower, a barrel, and a fire control group. Anything I am missing? Btw I know it will look old and ugly but I kinda like that in a gun.

"Shakin' it over here, boss"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well it all depends on how worn these are.

SMG shipped some really nice ones but as the supply got low the kits got rougher.

you should need only a barrel and a lower as the m16 FCG can be de-milled to AR-15 type pretty easy, -- all you really need would be a ar-15 safety. -

-don't install the m16 sear--LOL thats a no brainer.

grind off the hook on the back of the m-16 hammer, grind off the tail on the disconnector , weld up or JB weld the back of the trigger with the ar-15 safety that should be all thats required.

you can weld up the m16 safety and use it-- i did that once-- lot of hassle for a $9 part--LOL

pre panic you could get 20" barrels from several places for $99, you can use a m4 16" barrel if you have a 750 FSB/gas block and a low profile .750 gas block for a under the handguards install.

on a kit this old -- you might want new gas rings for the bolt and a spring kit --all of which can be had quite reasonably.

this could be a really nice deal-- if the kit ain't too worn out or banged all to hell.

knowing CFS they could be all over the place

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well to start with it's not a "early Nam era" Colt, it has the forward assist and closed flash hider. I'm with j427x on these,,how worn???? The military usually,, "DX'ed" them ,,,,,for a reason. And Center fire is pretty well know for,,, less that accurate grading. Notice ,,,no grade,,, listed on those kits,, they could be anything from EX to Poor condition,,,,who knows????

I'd shop around more myself for that $$$. At least look for a kit with a listed grade, so if it's crap when you get it,, you'll at least have a leg to stand on if you should want to send it back cause it's junk.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    Well to start with it's not a "early Nam era" Colt, it has the forward assist and closed flash hider. I'm with j427x on these,,how worn???? The military usually,, "DX'ed" them ,,,,,for a reason. And Center fire is pretty well know for,,, less that accurate grading. Notice ,,,no grade,,, listed on those kits,, they could be anything from EX to Poor condition,,,,who knows????

I'd shop around more myself for that $$$. At least look for a kit with a listed grade, so if it's crap when you get it,, you'll at least have a leg to stand on if you should want to send it back cause it's junk.

so true i have got all kinds of stuff from CFS in the past that was --well short of described condition.

for your $350 what are you getting? probably a very well worn a1 stock-set a a1 upper that is probably well worn , a m16 bcg , and the remains of a m16 LPK.

this is kind of like the AK kits in a way. sort of like back when you could get a nearly new m16 A1 upper from CDNN for $269?

the best surplus stuff is long gone. i bought a surplus a2 upper from sarco --it has very little of the finish left--looked like boots dragged it around in the gravel for years.

for the $$$ you might be as well off to do a new build if this kit is very well worn. these look to be 1970s a1s --late nam / 70s cold war relics , most of these were sold or give to central america in the mid 80s to imported in the US early 90s. i have seen these that looked like they had sat in an armory for decades without being fired and i have seen these that looked like they had fired a billion rounds of corrosive ammo.

since it is so late in this deal most of the kits look pretty rough -- they sold all the preimo surplus first.

if i was going to order one from CFS i would want to talk to the manager and get a grade in writing--LOL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well I talked to the manager at centerfire and he said all of the kits were shrink wrapped so they could not grade them. I might be getting ripped off but I went ahead and picked one up. I will post some pictures once I get it. If it is that bad I will return it. Never know might get a good one. (crossed fingers)

"Shakin' it over here, boss"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

we discussed this here two weeks ago when discussing SARCO kits??????????????????????????????????
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

let us know how it turns out.

maybe you got lucky. even CFS & SARCO turn a good deal every once in a while-- i'll spare you the blind hog finding a nut lecture--LOL!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Why no barrel are these imports?
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

they been cutting barrels up for the longest time --you can thank obama & hillery for that one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You know sprat,,, I think that's about the same for most distributors nowadays,,, I think there all pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Even some of the C&R guns I've gotten lately are slipping pretty badly in grade,, whats passing for EX condition stuff now, was yesterdays VG condition. Sad but true I'm afraid. And with yomamma's latest fiasco's,, it's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

Oh to only find,,,, some Mauser's,,, Enfields,,,Springfields,, ect,,, like I used to find in the 70's,,,,,,wish,, wish!!!

Keep an eye out on the private market though,, there's a few slipping out of closets here and there,,,,,some good ones too from what I've found. Just not enough of them,,,,,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.